1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Seraphon List for Battletome 2.o

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by LizardWizard, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Grumpy One
    Skink

Grumpy One Member

Hi everyone, I'm quite new to AOS, so this site was a huge help. My army consists mainly saurus, so I wanted to use them as coalesced and I was thinking about bringing Soulscream Bridge against shooting lists, but I would like to get an opinion from more experienced players - is it useful and is it worth it? "Units completely at 6" bother me - I don't think 40-saurus unit would fit.

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

not really what the soulscream is for to be honest and without the realm boost to the range it's not great for moving melee units. also makes them very vulnerable to being wrapped if they don't make that 9" charge. instead i would use screens and run them down the middle not that much slower

LizardWizard and Grumpy One like this.
  3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Welcome to Lustria!

Glad you have found the community to be so helpful. I agree with @Erta Wanderer's assessment of Soulscream Bridge. You could try running them as Starborne Sunclaw however, to get access to LoSaT.

4. Grumpy One
    Skink

Grumpy One Member

Ok, thank you for the help. You may be right that 12" isn't worth the trouble. Pity tho, i was hoping for some shenanigans for coalesced, especially for firelance - +3" makes the charge more than possible.

Erta Wanderer and LizardWizard like this.
  5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Bridge, Cogs, and Firelance could make for some great reach. It is worth trying out. The main weakness is our high drop counts as an army. So if we can build a good alpha strike we will rarely get to swing first.

Erta Wanderer and Krissey like this.
  6. Krissey
    Cold One

Krissey Active Member

My first instinct was to alpha strike with this list blowing the boulders turn 1 on a key unit to completely annihilate it. I would play it as the Starpriest and Skink Priest giving all of their buffs (all of them) onto the Terradons, so they're +1 to hit run and shoot and charge and mortal on 6's to wound and the like. Drop the chronomatic cogs and run them across the board and dive into enemy lines turn 1 for shooting and fighting.

Lords of Space and Time the Kroxigors to charge into another unit with +3 to charge having set the constellation to +1 to run and charge.

Then perhaps throw out the skinks behind them to shoot and stand on valueable objectives especially on maps like Focal Points.

However it seems you'd send in the skinks first and foremost, and hold the terradons back for a later turn? And hold back the Kroxigors for awhile longer in fact?

Is this list not so much an alpha strike list? It seems the terradons are so delicate they'd die to a stiff breeze so might as well kamikaze them in turn 1 for maximum fun and damage to get any sort of use from them? IDK.

I love this list cuz it has everything I love: Kroxigors, Terradon models, Slanns, all the skinks (haha so cute omg i love skinks <3) and it's basically the ideal list of all the models I love and seems to be powerful enough to compete, and with minor tweaks can be a top tier list (sub some stuff for kroak, add salamanders and diff endless spells).

Is Seraphon not an aggro turn 1 smash army but more of a finesse wait and see kind of set up a trap like "hey come get my skinks!" and they're like "lol thanks for the free kill nerd" and charge in and delete them and then you're like "Psych now I charge you with kroxigors and terradons gg" ?

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I would drop the Shadowstrike Starhost to make room for Kroak if you're looking to make it more competitive.

8. Krissey
    Cold One

Krissey Active Member

that’s puts it at 1870 out of 2000... then fill with Skinks?

LizardWizard likes this.
  9. Krissey
    Cold One

Krissey Active Member

The other version of this list with Kroak and Salamanders, is that the most competitive version? I like Kroxigors so I loved this list and it was listed as Semi-Competitive I think. Do you think the Starstrike host brings much value to the Alternate Kroxigor version? Preferably I'd keep everything on the board due to when the buffs all happen.

Edit: This seems like a list that wants to use at least 1 CP every turn, and possibly 2 in the beginning, so it seems slightly CP hungry. Is the Battalion's extra Artefact and CP not worth its points?

Not sure where to go cuz I thought the posted one was a really strong list xD I just love it cuz it's got kroxigors and skinks and terradons and everything I like.

LizardWizard likes this.
  10. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

The reason to include the battalion is absolutely to make room for Itxi Grubs or Aetherquartz. The extra CP and Aretfact are pretty much the only reason to take Battalions when using FoS. If you want to bring Kroak though you probably won't need the Battalion. As he will provide additional CP and doesn't need the Itxi Grubs. Aetherquartz could still be worth while, however you will probably only need 3-4 CP turn 1-2 (1-2 for Skinks Fade away, 1 for Terradon Chief, and 1 for a generic Command Ability). At which point I would drop to 9 Terradons to add Kroak if you are wanting to keep the Shadowstrike Starhost.

Erta Wanderer and Krissey like this.
  11. Krissey
    Cold One

Krissey Active Member

Dropping the battalion doesn't seem so bad. I can add Kroak and 2 sets of 10 skinks for 40/20/20, I can add 5 Guard to help Kroak live more, or I can just bring a normal slann and fit in a Skink Starseer. It seems there's some wiggle room here. Not sure what's the "optimum choice". My gut says probably Kroak and 5 guard. Although more skinks can't hurt (except my wallet...and my paint brush...)

LizardWizard likes this.
  12. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Kroak + Guard would be the safer route.

Krissey and ILKAIN like this.
  13. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

I've used Terradons and haven't loved them. Let me know if you have better luck!

LizardWizard likes this.
  14. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I rather like Terradons still due to the meta (at least what the meta was prior to the pandemic). I think Chameleon Skinks preform just as well and are easier to use, but less versatile in their ideal targets. I would just as happily take 20x Chameleon Skins as I would take 12x Terradons.

Krissey likes this.
  15. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Thats basically where i am. I've struggled to maximize my terradons output, there's just so much you need to get right to get the damage out of them you want.

I didn't have a ton of experience using them in the last book, so that might be why.

LizardWizard likes this.
  16. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

oh im totally going to meme a list lol. ALL the terradons with a chief in a shadow strike. im nuking the absolute shit out of one thing and then dying horribly by round 3 lol

LizardWizard and Putzfrau like this.
  17. Krissey
    Cold One

Krissey Active Member

Oooooooooooooooh! I looooooove chameleon skinks! I have no experience with Seraphon since their first battletome and all I had was Saurus Knights, Warriors and carnosaurs with a few of the stegadons.

So honestly I just want everything and to play with it all, but I loooove chameleon skinks. I'm super happy to hear they're properly good!!

I myself, however, like melee skinks because then, IMO, it's easier to get wholly within 6'' for the Kroxigors for that +1 to hit, at least in my mind. Seems like Terradon Riders have the same base size as a Megaboss on foot, so that's pretty big. If they both crash into a unit it's probably sure to die! I don't know if there's a more efficient way to make it easier to get that wholly within 6'' for the +1 hit though. Just feels intuitively that being in melee would help with that. So crashing Terradons in to clear a unit in unison with kroxigors was how I was going to play it. Maybe chameleon skinks can do the same though :D I love 'em!

LizardWizard and Putzfrau like this.
  18. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

The damage potential of 9 Terradons + Chief is very real, but as you said so much has to go right and your opponent needs to not screen his specific unit or shoot your guys off etc. It is also once a game you get to do it.

Salamanders just seem much easier to use. Constant and consistent damage throughout the entire game. Significantly easier to use with little risk. Still performs great with teleport. I have stopped including Terradons in my lists unfortunately.

LizardWizard likes this.
  19. Krissey
    Cold One

Krissey Active Member

So are the lists at the start of this thread just starter lists but not really the best lists anymore? Was it more theorycraft? because a LOT of the lists seem to use terradons, salamanders and kroak in some combination or other.

Also it seems Coalsced aren't top tier or particularly competitive. So it's more or less like the first book with skinks and ranged being king and the Saurus get the short end of the stick :(

LizardWizard likes this.
  20. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

A lot of this was very early theory craft.

Terradons are good. I really like them. They are not beginner friendly though. There is lots of room to go wrong with them if you make some slight misplays. Salamanders are great. Kroak feels like an auto include. Krox are hidden gems. As are Chameleon Skinks. The list I am currently working on and mapping battleplans and meta army match ups for theorycraft is this list:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Fangs of Sotek

Leaders:
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer
    (140)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Old and Grizzled
    - Artefact: Serpent God Dagger

Lord Kroak (320)
    - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell: Tide of Serpents
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell: Hand of Glory
    Skink Priest (70)

Battleline:
    40 x Skinks (240)
    - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    20 x Skinks (120)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)

Units:
    20 x Chameleon Skinks (360)
    6 x Kroxigor (280)
    - 1x Moonhammers

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs:
    Balewind Vortex
    (40)
    Bound Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (70)

Total: 1980 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 139

I am still very early into the theorycraft stages. Basically I have mapped the expected damage from the various buffed and unbuffed vs other top meta units. Have also mapped the expected CP per turn and how this impacts the army's tempo (i.e fade away usage). I think it solves OBR match ups pretty well if you target correctly. I also feel confident with this list vs Fyreslayers and Idoneth. The Chameleons and LoSaT help a lot with DoK match up as you can play back while still having the reach to punch should you be given first turn.

DoT is the main concern for me at this moment. I expect to lose either the Krox, 40x Skinks, or most/all the Skink Support Heroes turn one (depending on split fire) vs shooty DoT. Duplicitous Host w/Horror spam is less of a concern thanks to LoSaT.

Holding objectives is much harder for Seraphon than in our previous battletome. I am still working out which units I prefer for the task. Skinks much less effective as throw away units now. This combined with heavily reduced summoning makes us much more vulnerable to casualties and thus grindy armies and glass hammers can cause from major issues if wielded correctly.

Current considerations are:
    • The ideal number of Moonhammers for Krox.
    • If I want to drop a Starpriest for a Starseer
      • Would probably replace my general and take Master of Star Rituals
    • Spliting the 20x Skinks to two units of 10x
    • Removing 20x Skinks to take another 5x Guard and 4x Salamander Hunting Pack.

In summation you can expect some reworks on the list I post before the new battletome officially released :D

Nart, Krissey and Grotpunter like this.