1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Seraphon Overview (updated to AoS 3.0)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Killer Angel, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Judge dread (Saurian)
    Skink

Judge dread (Saurian) Member

Quick question though, due to the buffs in damage a carnosaur got, is it jut me who thinks a dread saurian is far overcosted now? As it’s exactly double the points of a carnosaur now? I’ll always use my dread whether it’s worth it or not, but apart for the fact it seems to be the only thing in our army that has a rend of -2 now, it almost doesn’t seem worth it, especially as most of our buffs now cannot be used on it as it is neither skink nor saurus :oops:

2. Judge dread (Saurian)
    Skink

@Canas, correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the rule reduces the damage characteristic, so mortal wounds wouldn’t count? Don’t have the book though so I’m not sure on the wording

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

upload_2020-3-8_21-44-7.png

substract 1 damage from all succesfull attacks. Not damage characteristics.

Also, even if it was damage characteristics: I'd argue that the D3 damage done by say comet's call is it's damage characteristic so that'd still work.

The only potential point of contention would be if things like spells, or an mawtribes trampling charge "attacks or not. Though personally I'd say they are attacks, cuz exempting them would lead to the stupid situations with weird exemptions...

Lizerd likes this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

This is correct. Scale Skink reduces the
    An attack according to the core rules is an action taken by a unit in that uses the profile of a melee or ranged weapon. So, Spells and Abilities are not attacks. However, the MWs from Hearthguard polearms would be reduced from 2 to 1 because they are dealt from the result of a successful attack.

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

well that results in rather a stupid situation RAW then :p

I'd be curious if it gets errata'd, or at least F.A.Q.-ed, cuz having it affect some sources of damage, but not others, for no rhyme or reason (it's not like it's an anti-magic shield or something designed to counter spells), is just plain weird and confusing, and I doubt that's intended.

6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I mean, their Scales stop them when they get hit with a missile or weapon. That seems fluffy that it wouldn't stop a spell. If GW had intended it to reduces each instance of damage dealt to the unit by 1 to a minimum of 1 they could have just written it that way.

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

yep, good points.

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I still haven't made up my mind on Skink Loadouts. I rather like Javs and shields for FoS Skink Hordes. There should be enough movement to get Javs in range turn 2 very easily, and in some cases turn 1. When in range they preform much better for damage. And when the FoS command ability is triggered on them their shooting is much more effective. Bolt Spitters and Clubs can deal some real damage with the Serpent's Staff though. Also, a blob of Skinks with Shield and Spitters in cover will be a 4+ save. Which isn't bad for our diminutive friends.

Still haven't made up on mind on if I really ever want to not bring a Slann in favor of the Starseer/Troglodon. The 18" and 3d6 Charge is great. So maybe I will start taking a Starseer and Skink Priest in Skink themed list instead of the Slann. For the same price you break even on 3 spells. but, gain 2 Skink Lores and have more potential CP. Lastly the Serpents Staff and Astromancer's Staff buffs are pretty fantastic on Skinks, Terradons, & Ripperdactyls.

Imrahil, Lizerd and Carnikang like this.
  9. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

edit: hooray i was wrong!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  10. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Mortal are just damage that is dealt which by passes the save characteristic. It is still damage dealt.

11. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

"The damage inflicted on the target is equal to the mortal wounds suffered"

That seems to answer it. I literally just had this argument with someone in my AoS group and they convinced me otherwise. Glad to see he (and I) were mistaken! Long live reducing mortal wounds... as long as they come from attacks!

12. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Yep. Helps with Fyreslayers matchups a lot though.

13. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Thank you for what you are doing! I can't describe, how much I appretiate it!

Some remarks:

1) Slann's command ability now gives +1 to saves against ranged attacks, instead of rerolls;
    2) Skink Chief on Stegadon is actually 270 pts vs Stegadon's 240;
    3) Astrolith not only increases range of spells, but also adds 1 to cast rolls. I even thought for a second, that he lost that ability, but it is still there;
    4) Starseer allows 3d6 charge for any units, not only skinks.

On damage from spells - the guy with old BCR told me that Stone Skeleton reduced damage from spells too. IDK, maybe, the wording was different for it. But RAW spells are not attacks - the target suffers mortal wounds like from Terrain or from friendly endless spells. Same situation is with tau in 40k - drones can intercept attacks, but mortal wounds from psychic powers go straight to battlesuits.

It was overcosted since 2.0, wasn't it? (Or even earlier, I barely remember)

But there is one interesting application of it in current lists - his 24" battleshock immunity is very useful for coalesced skinks and hunting packs. Unfortunately, his damage is lacking compared to two scar-veterans on carnosaur with way less synergies. Maybe, FW will update its cost or even warscroll?

Dragvindel, Imrahil, Lizerd and 3 others like this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Thanks for the kind words.
    Fixed the mistakes. We have so many units and so many changes from something that was "fixed" since 5 years, that mistakes slip through. ;)

IggyStarhost, Imrahil, Lizerd and 3 others like this.
  15. Judge dread (Saurian)
    Skink

@Nart yeah, it’s always been very costly, but I always felt it was a price worth paying due to the amount of damage it could deal and the fact you could synergies it pretty well with certain things, but now I don’t know if it’s worth it at all, but yeah, that’s a good point, a dread saurian will be extremely useful in a skink-heavy army...now I just need more skinks, only have 70...:(

Lizerd likes this.
  16. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

It is okay. Everyone makes lots of mistakes with new rules, especially when changes are THAT drastic, and that's why we are helping each other.

He still can benifit from some abilities. Thuderlizard will give it +2 wounds and coalseced - +1 Jaw attack. Statseer allow 3d6 charge and +1 save, skink priest - run and charge and +1 save. Fly from slann will help a bit too. He can be a massive distraction and very mobile one too. He is still very viable in friendly games.

Unfortunately, FW models and rules seem like very cool fan mods for main games. They are fun but sometimes completely out of the original ideas of the main rules.

17. Judge dread (Saurian)
    Skink

@Nart that’s a good point, also, thanks for pointing out all the different buffs that can still affect him, but yeah, I think they should drop it to probably 300-350pts, or just give it a few more attacks, also, I don’t understand why the base needs to be THAT big for it, it sticks out like 3-4” either side of the model, it’s ridiculous, my friends and I tend to use a pretty terrain heavy table too, so that’s always fun :confused:

Nart and Lizerd like this.
  18. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Oldblood on Carnosaur is pretty hilarious, with a few alliegence abilities and blade of realities I had him kill a soul mason in two shots.overall carnosaurs are pretty cool and I’m glad to see what @Killer Angel and @LizardWizard can write up for them

19. Killer Angel
    Slann

Update: synergies! (wip)

20. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Wait a minute... Sword of Judgement is triggered on Modified rolls of 6+ to-hit, right?

[​IMG]