1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Slann heavy army viable?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Lord Krungharr, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Lord Krungharr
    Jungle Swarm

Lord Krungharr New Member

Been eyeballing some really old metal Slann Mage Priests at my FLGS....would an army of 3 of them, plus Lord Kroak, be a viable start to a magically dominant Starborne force? I'm not real familiar with Seraphon other than I know there's ThunderLizards with big dinos, and the ones who cast spells and summon things (if that's still a thing?).

I already armies with many monsters, so I'm lacking a good magic army, this might be the ticket. What else would I need? Skinks for battleline? If summoning, how good is the summoning/how many extra units might I need?

thanks for any ideas!

Bowser likes this.
  2. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

4 Slann total (Kroak + 3 regular Slann) would be 13 spells base; 4 for Kroak and 3 for each regular Slann. If you sacrificed each Slann's first spell, for 4D3 additional summoning, that's still 9 spells. Common spells are 1 Celestial Equilibrium, 1 Comet's Call, 3 Celestial Deliverance, and 1 Stellar Tempest (provided the last two spells are in range). That leaves 3 spells left for... Arcane Bolt? Mystic Shield? Another Seraphon spell?

To maximize the potential, you would need 1 Astrolith Bearer (or maybe even 2) to increase spell ranges and/or an Oracle on Troglodon to increase spell ranges through it. Then you need to consider Saurus Guard to protect some, if not all, of the Slann; definitely Kroak and your Slann general.

Your summoning would be 6D3 per round (1D3 for General being on the table, 1D3 for one or more Astroliths, and 1D3 for each Slann if they sacrifice their first spell). That's 6 minimum, 12-15 average, and 18 max. That would be one definite unit of 10 Skinks (two units with an average roll, or three units with a max roll) each round. An average to max summoning roll opens up a few more options each round; from a Salamander, or 10 Saurus Warriors, or 5 Saurus Knights to name a few of the units. Naturally, you could risk banking them to get something bigger.

That's a long way of saying I think 4 total Slann is a lot, and probably too many. I think you'll end up wasting casts on your hero phase. Plus, you lose a decent amount of the flexibility that Seraphon can bring with so many points tied up in Slann, and the units to boost/protect them.

Although Slann have some powerful board-wide features, you don't need only Slann to have a strong magic army. There are Skink Starseers, Skink Starpriests, and Skink Oracles on Troglodons as well. Specifically, Starseers and Starpriests have access to good spells on their warscrolls (let alone access to the Skink spell list) and their warscroll abilities are VERY useful to various units. Additionally, there is the Arcane Tome artifact to make any hero a wizard. That artifact on something like an Engine of the Gods, Skink Chief on Stegadon, or even a Carnosaur can make for a scary wizard.

All that said, if you just want to try a 4 Slann list, then go for it. I'm sure it will be a casting nightmare for your opponent. You could even try to bring some Endless Spells, if you can fit them into the list?

I hope this helps.

EDIT: One other thing. "Magic" also doesn't just mean wizards. Seraphon have Skink Priests and the Engine of the Gods which are both priests and can each chant a prayer in the hero phase. This can't be dispelled and the benefits are strong. Just the basic prayers of Heal or Curse can be very useful.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    Lord Krungharr and Bowser like this.
  3. Lord Krungharr
    Jungle Swarm

Thank you so much! This is very very helpful. Love the idea of a whole bunch of magic space-frogs, but I do like a fully functional army as well. Guess if I get a good enough price on all the ones I'm looking at, dishing out all those spells plus some endless spells would be pretty hilarious :D But having a bigger variety of units is also always a bonus, so I'll look around for the other ones you mentioned.

I saw what an Astrolith bearer does and I'd love to have a pendant of that icon too, on my must-get list. Also sounds like a box of each start collecting kit is a good thing to get too. Looking forward to trying something new with paint jobs too. Saw a whole Seraphon army painted like ghosts at 2019 Adepticon and always thought that was neat....the guy told me "They're all just memories, right?". Perhaps starting at the base as whispy ghosty colors fading into just the tops in full color.

Just A Skink and Bowser like this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

First of all, welcome aboard.

if you want a slann heavy army, you can still be competitive but you must limit yourself in the number of said slanns.
    Kroak + Slann + Astrolith, if you're playing starborne, will grant you 4d4 summoning points (which is good), and you'll have more buffs to your already excellent casting (and 5 spells to cast). With 1155 spared points to insert whatever you want.
    Heck, with an oracle you'll have a dino, a vassal and another d3 conjuration points.

5. Schneelachs
    Skink

Schneelachs Member

Hey Mate,

Welcome! I tested a lot on DT Lists. and that is probably the list you likes the most ;)

You will dominate everyone in Magic ;)

Allegiance: Seraphon - Constellation: Dracothion's Tail - Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery

LEADERS
    Lord Kroak (430)
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (150)
    Slann Starmaster (265) - General - Command Trait: Ancient Knowledge
    Skink Oracle on Troglodon (270) - Artefact: Godbeast Pendant - Mount Trait: Starborne

UNITS
    10 x Skinks (75) - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    5 x Saurus Guard (115)
    5 x Saurus Guard (115)
    2 x Salamander Hunting Pack (280)

TOTAL: 1980/2000 WOUNDS: 95 REINFORCED UNITS: 2/4 DROPS:2

You do on average 10 CP a round whats = 1 Salamander
    Kroak can cast on +5 and Ban +4 with support of the Slann.
    Also you have the pssibility vs hordes to give the Oracle also the horde killer spell.

You can EOTG for Trog to have an One Drop, but a Salli a turn is to good I think.

Greets

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

The fact that this was exactly my suggestion about the "core" units of this build, and you already proved its efficiency with multiple tests, fills me with joy. Go team Seraphon!

7. Schneelachs
    Skink

Schneelachs Member

This will be my next Test.

I feel you need at least a punchy Unit that can also tank a bit ;)

LEADERS
    Lord Kroak (430)
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (150)
    Slann Starmaster (265) - General - Command Trait: Ancient Knowledge Artefact: Godbeast Pendant
    Stormcast Eternals, Celestant Prime (325)

UNITS
    5 x Saurus Guard (115)

TOTAL: 1995/2000 WOUNDS: 95 REINFORCED UNITS: 2/4 DROPS:2

8. ChameleonGnom
    Skink

ChameleonGnom Member

A little fun thing you could also do, is taking a warlord battalion and give the Astrolith Bearer an Arcane tome. As he buffs himself then. But most would prefer a one drop in DT.

9. Lord Krungharr
    Jungle Swarm

I got my first Slann today (the super old one on the palanquin) and 3 baggies full of really old plastic Skinks. I think I can get at least 3 or 4 units of 10 out of these. Ordered the 2nd metal version of the Slann also. Now looking for a Lord Kroak and anything else well-priced. Might have to do some Salamander conversions, as those are not cheap anywhere. Looking forward to a summoning army; this will be a nice change of playstyle.

Is it worth getting the Realmshaper ziggurat?

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

The bonuses are negligible, but the scenery is totally cool.

11. Schneelachs
    Skink

Schneelachs Member

I think its mandatory not only for scenery ;)

Free MW output and the possibility to castle up vs alpha strike lists ist to good.

Remenber Units inside have:

+1 Save
    -1 to Hit

and on top its easy to get "look out Sir" with ure Slann, because Guard is usally next to him.

so - 1 to Hit

Greets

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Well yes, given that it's free it's certainly good... but it's still underwhelming compared to terrains of other factions. ;)

I've found that one of the best usage is to put my slann on it, with the guards hidden behind the scenery to negate LoS and avoid being targeted by shooting, thus being able to fully act as bodyguards.