1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Stürmer's Battle Reports

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Wilhelm Stürmer, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Wilhelm Stürmer Well-Known Member

Well, there are several other armies that could counter them. Tzeentch rolled a very similar list in a recent tournament. Stormcast can out range them. Khorne has several heavy hitters that could knock them out, as does Slaanesh. Really, anything with rend that can get at them would have better luck. It's really Seraphon that's going to have a bad time with them.

But as far as roadblocking, I basically meant you keep them at bay as best as possibly. Limit their movement options. Yes, 24" range sucks, but at best, the unit will have 3x Windlaunchers. It's a heavy investment and seems sub-optimal when Skaventide has so many options for better lists. It didn't help that the battleplan restricted objective control to heroes. There's plenty of other battleplans that the Stormfiends wouldn't have been as effective on, where we could simply keep dumping Skinks out and control the board. It's a tough unit for Seraphon, to be sure, but not quite as impossible as you seem to be inferring.

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The tzeentch list would lose if you managed to actually get into melee with them with basicly any unit though. Whereas the stormfiends will just squash most opponents in melee as well.

As for outranging them, is there anyone that can do that consistently and that they don't fix within half a turn by teleporting/gnaw-holes/tunneling/whatever other movement nonsense they may have? I mean, a SCE balista might have longer range, but if in turn two they're in range and blow it up it didn't exactly help much.

Khorne and Slaanesh "counters" seem more of a case of "I throw my OP stuff at yours first" than a genuine counter, so not too pleased with that.

O yeah, I can imagine it's not the greatest list for an objective focused game where bodycount matters. And I definitly don't think a list fielding them is guaranteed to win. What annoys me is that it seems one of those units that only really has 2 "counters" option 1) swamp them with more bodies than they can kill or 2) hit them first with your own OP nonsense. And neither is all that interesting. They very much define how the battle will go on their own.

Imho, the max unit size should probably be smaller. At least if you'd split it up into units of 3 with only 1 weapon option per unit they no longer excel at everything at once so the individual units get a clear counter-strategy and the individual units would also have a more manageable woundcount so you can pick of the biggest threats first. Instead of the current situation where a unit of 9 is essentially an entire army on their own.

3. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

2000 MPP Tournament
    Wrap-up event for the 2019 Escalation League

3 Battles:
    • Focal Points – matched against SCE
    • Starstrike – matched against DoK
    • Total Commitment – matched against DoK

Pure VP wins, no secondary or tertiary objectives
    No Realm spells or terrain modifiers

My list:
    Allegiance: Seraphon
    Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Trait: Great Rememberer
    - Artefact: Miasmatic Blade
    - Spell: Meteoric Convocation
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    - Artefact: Spellmirror
    - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100) – in the Heavens
    - Artefact: Betrayer's Crown
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240) – in the Heavens
    - War Spear
    - Artefact: Sword of Judgement

Battleline
    10 x Skinks (70)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (70)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    5 x Saurus Knights (80) – in the Heavens
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (80)
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (80)
    - Lances

Units
    3 x Razordons (120) – in the Heavens
    6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)

Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost (180)
    Firelance Starhost (150)
    Dracothion's Tail (80)

Endless Spells / Terrain
    Balewind Vortex (40)
    Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 3
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 107

Warden and Lizerd like this.
  4. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Battle I: Focal Points

First battle was matched up by picked colored dice from a bag. I got matched up against a Stormcast eternals list. Unfortunately, I don’t have the list. I attempted to piece it together in Warscroll Builder based on my pictures and memory, but I ended up with a list much lower than 2K.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
    Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (320)
    Another Hero that was the General (???)

Battleline
    Units
    5 x Evocators (220)
    5 x Evocators (220)
    10 x Sequitors (260)
    - Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
    5 x Sequitors (130)
    5 x Sequitors (130)

War Machines
    Celestar Ballista (110)
    Celestar Ballista (110)
    Celestar Ballista (110)
    Celestar Ballista (110)

Total: 1720 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Wounds: 108

As I had a one-drop list, I had him go first, as I wanted more space in his army before dropping down. I rolled the Sage’s Staff for my constellation and moved a unit of Skinks within range of the center objective.
    IMG_20190914_113932.jpg

T1 SCE: He mentioned this was only the 5th time he’d played AoS and I believe it’s why he forgot to cast the Evocator’s spell. He did cast with the two Heroes. I unbound one spell and the other, Mystic Shield went off. In Movement, the Evocators, unit of 5 and unit of 10 Sequitors, and the Lord-Arcanum moved up, minimally. Then comes the shooting. 2 Ballistae missed, 1 wiped the unit of Skinks near the center objective, and the last killed 4 Skinks in the other unit. He ended his turn with 2 VP. 2-0 SCE

T1 Seraphon: I successfully cast BV and Cogs. I teleported my Slann to the top right of the field and brought down the Razordons and Scar-Vet on CO. I cast MC on the unit of 10 Sequitors and got 4 MWs. Then the Slann teleported back and used the rest of the spell casts for CCP. Blot Toad went down next to the Lord-Arcanum. I moved a unit Knights up to take control of the middle objective and the remaining Skinks moved to screen the other unit of Knights. I brought down the Rippers to charge the Lord-Arcanum. The Razordons then unloaded into a unit of Evocators and managed to kill one model. I failed the charge with the Scar-Vet on CO, but the Rippers did make it in. They did dispatch the Lord-Arcanum, but the return attack by the other unit of Evocators and its MW output wiped the Rippers. 2-4 Seraphon
    IMG_20190914_121039.jpg
    IMG_20190914_121657.jpg

T2 Seraphon: I teleported my Slann to the left side and brought down the Scar-Vet on Carnosaur. Then teleported to the right side of the board and brought down the remaining unit of Knights. I again cast MC and killed one more Sequitor. I used 3 CP for Saurian Savagery and 1 CP on Savage Charge. The Scar-Vet on CO moved to within 3” for a charge, Razordons moved up to get -1 Rend, and the Knights and Skinks moved up. I summoned in 2 Salamanders and 3 Handlers, but they missed both their shots. The Razordons barbs killed another Evocator model and put a couple of wounds on another. Both Scar-Vets and the Skinks charged in. I elected for the Carnosaur to go first, but he was underwhelming, even with rolling several Hit rolls of 6. He managed 6 wounds in total. The Evocators in combat with the Cold One struck, inflicting 6 wounds. I then attacked with the Scar-Vet on CO and got supremely lucky with being able to roll a 4 and 6 on Fury of the Seraphon, inflicting another 6 wounds, leaving only one Evocator in the unit. The Evocators in combat with the Carnosaur then piled in and attacked, dealing 6 wounds. I then attacked with the charged-in Knights and killed one Sequitor. The Sequitors struck back and killed one Knight. Finally, the Skinks used Wary Fighter to move away from the Evocators. 2-8 Seraphon
    IMG_20190914_123435.jpg
    IMG_20190914_130354.jpg

T2 SCE: Hero phase was uneventful. The last unit of Sequitors that were screening the Ballistae moved in and surrounded the Knights in the back field. The mid-field Sequitors could not move up as one model was stuck in combat. The 4 Evocators on the left moved. The Ballistae killed a Salamander, Razordon, and unit of Knights controlling the center objective. The Evocators charged the remaining untouched unit of Knights, and the Sequitors in the rear made their charge, trapping that unit of Knights. In combat, the Evocators killed 4 Knights, then one more with MWs, the Scar-Vet on CO died to the last Evocator in the right unit. But somehow one Knight remained in the surrounded unit. 4-8 Seraphon

T3 Seraphon: I teleported the Slann to the left side of the board. I cast MC on the 7 Sequitors, again dealing 2 MWs. In movement, the Starpriest moved right behind terrain, but within control of the objective. The now 5 Skinks left moved back covering the center objective. I summoned 2 units of 10 Skinks to threaten upper right objective. The one remaining Razordon shot into the one remaining Evocator on the right and killed it… only to have all 5 return thanks to a roll of 5. He strung the 5 Evocators out so that they managed to just control my right objective. I successfully charged both summoned units of Skinks into the upper left objective and was able to Wary Fighter both away as he opted to mop up my last Razordon and Knight. 4-13 Seraphon

T3 SCE: His turn went fairly quickly as time was called. He would easily be able to wipe out the 20 Skinks with 4 Ballistae on Rapid Fire. The Evocators on the left would be able to run down on my left objective and the 7 Sequitors would control the middle objective. He would control all objectives, which gave him 8 VP. 12-13 Seraphon

Post Battle Analysis

I actually think I may hate fighting SCE more than any other army I’ve played. Everything they bring to the table is resilient, hits hard, and has ridiculous tricks to improve upon their amazing stat lines. That said, I could have done some things better.
    • For some reason, I was thinking I had to leave units on my objectives to maintain control of them throughout this battle, which was not the case.
    • I should have ignored the last Evocator on the right so as not to allow the play that denied me the VP from my right objective.
    • Along with the above point, I should have used my 2nd LoSaT on the sole Razordon and put it on my right objective, further securing it.
    • I ended up leaving 6 CCP on the table because I miscalculated how much CCP I had gained. That would have given me another unit of Skinks, or potentially changed it so I had a unit of Skinks and two Razordons or Sallys to attempt to remove the closest Ballista to the upper left objective, which would have denied him 2 VP in T3.
    One other mistake we made was that the battleplan was misread and we thought controlling two objectives on the diagonal would give you 3 VP, when in actuality it was 2 objectives on the vertical. So, we ended the game thinking SCE had won, when in actuality I had eked out a win.

5. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Battle II: Starstrike

Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine
    - Temple: Hagg Nar

Leaders
    Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)
    Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330)
    Hag Queen (90)
    Hag Queen (90)

Battleline
    20 x Witch Aelves (240)
    - Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
    20 x Witch Aelves (240)
    20 x Witch Aelves (240)

Units
    5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (90)

Total: 1940 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Wounds: 99

I opted for the DoK player to go first. I again rolled the Sage’s Staff. I kept my deployment to the back of the board to screen against an early Khinerai drop.
    IMG_20190914_153238.jpg

T1 DoK: Not much happened. She opted not to move as she wanted to see where the first objective would drop. Most of her prayers went off and Morathi blew up.

T1 Seraphon: I too played fairly reserved this turn. I cast BV, but failed Cogs. My Slann LoSaT’s the the left side and calls down from the Heavens the Scar-Vet on CO and Knights in a charge position of Morathi and a unit of Witch Aelves. I advanced the Skinks and Knights on the table but made sure they weren’t more than 9” away from the table age. I failed both charges on the dropped-in units.

T2 DoK: The first objective roll was a 3; left side of the table, 12” in. Morathi attempts a cast into the closest Knigts, but my Slann unbinds it. Morathi and the Witch Aelves closest to her move forward. Morathi charges into the Scar-Vet on CO and the Witch Aelves charge into the Knights. Morathi fights first and promptly deletes the Scar-Vet. The Unit of Knights manage 4 wounds into the Witch Aelves. In return, they deal 6 wounds to the Knights. 2-0 DoK
    IMG_20190914_155606.jpg

T2 Seraphon: The Slann LoSaT’s to the left side again and brings down the Razordons to assist with the Witches and then LoSaT’s back. The Knights in the left corner use War Drums to advance on the objective and take control of it. The Razordons shoot into the Witch Aelves inflicting 5 more casualties. In combat, neither the Knights or Aelves can hurt each other. 2-2 Tie
    IMG_20190914_163022.jpg

T3 DoK: Her objective drops 18” from the left. Hero phase consisted of prayers and a failed spell cast. In movement, the 5 remianing Witch Aelves retreated to claim her objective. Her other units of Witch Aelves, the Cauldron, and Hags moved up their normal movement range. Morathi piled in to the remaining 2 Knights and slew them both. 5-2 DoK

T3 Seraphon: My objective dropped near the center of zone. I teleported the unit of Knights on the right behind her objective and used the 2nd LoSaT to drop my Slann behind her Cauldron. Both units of Skinks moved toward my objective. Razordons moved toward the central unit of Witch Aelves. The Rippers descended from the clouds outside of 3” from the right unit of Witch Aelves and the Slann summoned in two Salamanders, a unit of Handlers, and a unit of Skinks to screen. The Salamanders both failed to fire. I failed the charge on the teleported Knights, but the Rippers made it in and killed 14 Witch Aelves. They managed 6 wounds in return. 5-8 Seraphon
    IMG_20190914_165328.jpg

T4 Seraphon: I teleported my Slann out of the back to the right side. The Starpriest is finally able to cast Cogs, for all the good it will do me. The Knights controlling the first objective move to arc 6” away from the objective and increase the charge range to them. The Knights in the back move up to challenge her objective, the Razordons get within 6” of the middle Witch Aelves, and the Salamanders and Handlers advance slightly and reorient. The Razordons put 12 wounds into the Witch Aelves in shooting and then I forget to fire with the Salamanders. Knights make their charge into the 5 Witch Aelves on her objective and I opt to fight with them first. I manage just enough wounds to remove the unit. The Witch Aelves in combat with the Rippers kill one more and the remaining 2 Rippers kill 4 more Witch Aelves. 5-20 Seraphon
    IMG_20190914_172907.jpg

T4 DoK: Morathi is able to cast a spell that simply kills a model and elects to remove the middle Knight from the unit controlling her objective. The center Witch Aelves run towards the same unit of Knights and their Hag Queen also advances on them. The Cauldron also rolls their direction. Morathi moves towards the Knights on the first objective. The Cauldron fails it ranged attack and its charge, but Morathi, the 8 Witch Aelves, and the Hag Queen all make it in. The Khinerai descend to threaten my objective and manage 4 wounds at range into on unit of Skinks. One unit of Khinerai is able to move 6” directly after, but the other unit fails the roll and it’s charge attempt. Morathi attacks first and again dispatches the Knights with ease. I strike back with my remaining Knights into the 8 Witch Aelves, but only kill 2. The Khinerai in combat manage another melee wound and I then Wary Fighter that unit of Skinks away. She takes out 2 Knights and secures two objectives. Time ended at this point. 13-20 Seraphon

Post Battle Analysis

Yet another game I forgot to utilize my Rippers until later in the game. If they are out of sight, it’s too easy to forget them. I also forgot to move the Blot Toad in every movement phase. Even so, I think I did a good job dealing with the Witch Aelves while also maintaining objective control. I mostly ignored Morathi and the Cauldron and they weren’t big players in the game. I could have done some mortals into the Cauldron had I remembered to roll for the Salamanders shooting, but it didn’t matter in the overall battle

6. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Battle III: Total Commitment

Damn the RNG gods… the worst battleplan I could get for this army list! And against another DoK player… And finally, there was only about an hour of available time left for the tournament. Not great parameters for me.

Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine
    - Temple: Khailebron

Leaders
    Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)
    Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330)
    Hag Queen (90)
    Hag Queen (90)

Battleline
    30 x Witch Aelves (300)
    30 x Witch Aelves (300)
    30 x Sisters of Slaughter (300)
    - Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers

Units

Total: 1980 / 2000
    Wounds: 124

In this game I decided to take first turn as his deployment left the left objective open to the Rippers charge. I once again rolled The Sage’s Staff. I did at least get to use Stealthy Advance for the Rippers.

T1 Seraphon: I fail both Cogs and BV. I forget to place the Blot Toad… great first turn Hero Phase. The Razordons teleported to the left side to assist in dispatching the Witch Aelves. I moved up the Rippers for a charge into the 30 Witch Aelves on the left objective and stung out the Skinks to provide a temporary buffer to the Sisters of Slaughter. I moved up a unit of 5 Knights to better control the right objective. The Razordons shot at and the Rippers charged into the Witch Aelves and wiped them out. In retaliation, the Hag Queen I forgot about managed to kill 3 Rippers! I was caught by surprise by this. Regardless, I did control the objective. 4-0 Seraphon
    IMG_20190914_183811.jpg
    IMG_20190914_184136.jpg

T1 DoK: He starts off spending a CP to teleport Morathi 9” away from the remaining Rippers, an ability I didn’t even know DoK had. It’s apparently a once per battle ability given by the specific temple he brought. His other units advance but aren’t able to get into or complete charges. Obviously, Morathi is able to easily dispatch the remaining Rippers. 4-2 Seraphon
    IMG_20190914_185335.jpg

T2 DoK: Morathi casts a spell on the Razordons and kills one. Prayers are prayed and then 30 Sisters of Slaughter and 30 Witch Aelves are in charge range. One unit of Skinks is destroyed, but the other only loses a few models and I’m able to Wary Fighter away. The first unit of 5 Knights tie up the Witch Aelves, but are also slain in the end. 4-4 tie

T2 Seraphon: I’m able to get BV and Cogs off. I teleport the Slann into DoK’s back field and the Scar-Vet on Carno to set up a charge on the Cauldron. I moved another unit of Knights and the Scar-Vet on CO up. I think I forgot to move the Razordons… >_< I did bring in unit of Rippers by the Slann. The Rippers, Knights, and Scar-Vet on CO made their charges. Betrayer’s Crown went off and killed 8. I opted to attack with the Knights first as I didn’t feel the Rippers would be in much danger. Knights killed two more. The Khinerai fought next and killed one Ripper. My save rolls were definitely not on par. The Scar-Vet on CO attacked killing 5 Witch Aelves. In retaliation, the Knights all die but there’s only 4 Witch Aelves in range of the Scar-Vet and they manage just 3 wounds. The Rippers finally attack and perform abysmally, only killing 3 Khinerai, failing to wrest control of the objective. 4-6 Seraphon
    IMG_20190914_192450.jpg
    IMG_20190914_192823.jpg

T3 DoK: Morathi is able to inflict one mortal wound on my Slann. The Sisters move up and take control of my middle objective. The Cauldron moves to charge my Scar-Vet on Carno. Morathi moves to attack the Slann. The Witch Aelves are stuck in combat with my Scar-Vet on CO. The Cauldron attacks first and the Carno is no more. I attack with the remaining Rippers, killing the remaining Khinerai and take the objective. The Witch Aelves finish off the Scar-Vet on CO. 8-6 DoK

T3 Seraphon: I teleport my Slann back to my zone and cast MC on the Sisters of Slaughter. I manage 14 5+’s. He then tells me that the Sister’s have a MW reflect and rolls for that, getting 6 6’s and kills my Slann. I discover much later that this reflect is ONLY in the combat phase. I don’t think this was intentional, just misreading of the wording on their Warscroll. I charged the last unit of Knights into his Witch Aelves and killed off 5 more. The retaliation left two Knights, tying up the unit. I still controlled his middle objective and one of mine. 8-10 Seraphon

I won priority on T4, but I was out of time. We talked out that I would charge the remaining Rippers into his Hag Queen and likely kill her, while also keeping them out of combat with Morathi and securing me the objective. I would also teleport the remaining Skinks, to his back-middle objective and screen it such that he would not be able to regain control in his T4. I would end my T4 with 16 VP. He would be able retake the left objective and control both of mine, giving him 15 VP.

Post Battle Analysis

I made a lot of rookie mistakes in this game due to time pressure and the frustration of the Battle Plan screwing over my list. Not placing the Blot Toad, forgetting movement and charges on several units, not asking about a rule I kept thinking was not correct. I still managed to pull out a win, but I could have played so much better.

I learned something super important. There are 10 turns and 5 rounds in a Matched Play AoS game. This means Morathi can take 6 wounds PER ROUND. Wording is important. Up until now, I thought (and had this thinking enforced via online battle reports and local players) that Morathi could only take 3 wounds per round, because turn and round are regularly used interchangeably.

My placement in the league and tournament got me a Seraphon Battleforce box and $50 credit at an LGS. Looks like I’ve got more models to paint!

Thanks for reading this and any other battle report I posted for the league. It’s been a great journey and I hope I’ll be able to compete in more local tournaments and maybe even a GT in the future.

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

o sweet price :p

Lizerd likes this.
  8. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Pretty awesome battle reports, I have stuff to do right now but I can do a more in depth analysis in the afternoon

LizardWizard likes this.
  9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Well, to win 3 battles despite mistakes and rules misleading, is a solid result!

10. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Well done. Using the list as it is meant to be used!

TrevBot, Wilhelm Stürmer and Lizerd like this.
  11. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Thanks @LizardWizard Your lists really are great to use.

TrevBot and LizardWizard like this.
  12. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Yep, but you chose to play the most difficult one :D It is also the strongest when it is played correctly imho.

Wilhelm Stürmer and TrevBot like this.
  13. TrevBot
    Saurus

TrevBot Active Member

Congrats on the box and wins!

I love your battle reports!

I have so few games under my belt but thanks to reports like these I already feel like I've got a solid grasp on how to effectively plan and execute. Always super super appreciate the amount of time and effort you put into them. :)

14. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Thanks @TrevBot! I really appreciate the kind words.

Schwaaah, LizardWizard and TrevBot like this.
  15. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Long time, no reply. I've had a few battles, but here's some reports from this past Saturday's local monthly meetup.

Battle I: Blood and Glory
    Realm: Uglu
    Seraphon vs. Ironjawz

Allegiance: Ironjawz
    - Warclan: Ironsunz

Leaders
    Orruk Megaboss (150)
    - General
    - Trait: Right Fist of Dakkbad
    - Artefact: The Golden Toof
    Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
    - Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
    - Artefact: Sunzblessed Armour
    - Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
    Orruk Warchanter (110)
    - Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
    Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
    - Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Battleline
    3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
    - Jagged Gore-hackas
    3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
    - Jagged Gore-hackas
    10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
    - Pair of Brute Choppas
    - 2x Gore Choppas
    5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
    - Pair of Brute Choppas
    - 1x Gore Choppas

Units
    5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
    - 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
    - 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
    4 x Ironskull's Boyz (80)

Battalions
    Ironfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
    Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1950 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 2
    Wounds: 127

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    - Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
    - Spell: Celestial Apotheosis
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Knights (80)
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (80)
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (80)
    - Lances

Units
    5 x Chameleon Skinks (110)
    3 x Razordons (120)

Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost (180)
    Firelance Starhost (150)
    Dracothion's Tail (80)

Balewind Vortex (40)
    Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Wounds: 91

T1 Seraphon: We deployed at diagonal opposites of the map. He deployed first and gave me first turn. I rolled +1 to cast from my constellation and was able to cast Balewind and Cogs uncontested. I teleported a unit of Knights near the other objective in my zone, but kept them out of range for a T1 charge.
    IMG_20200125_125719.jpg IMG_20200125_130624.jpg

T1Ironjawz
    : He managed to get Hand of Gork off and teleported the Cabbage Dragon to 9" away from my Slann's retinue. A unit of Grunta's moved towards the other objective in his zone. He kept the other 3 heroes surrounded by the Brutes and Ardboyz, while moving them towards the center of the board. The Maw-krusha failed it's charge.
    IMG_20200125_131620.jpg

T2 Seraphon: By Kuoteq's Command, a unit of Knights, Razordons, the Scar-Vet on CO, and the Astrolith Bearer appeared to intercept the Maw-krusha. Once they were in play, the Slann teleported up to the other unit of Knights, away from the immediate threat. The Knights around the Slann moved out to better screen and at the end of movement, a unit of Skinks were summoned to reinforce the Slann's new screen. The Razordons managed 3 wounds into the Maw-Krusha. The Knights and Scar-Vet completed their charge and managed another 4 wounds. The MawKrush inflicted 3 wounds on the Scar-Vet and wiped the unit of Knights.
    IMG_20200125_134046.jpg
    IMG_20200125_134810.jpg

T2 Ironjawz: The Maw-Krusha was unable to kill the Scar-Vet in the Hero Phase, but I unbound his attempt to teleport. He capped the other objective with the Gruntas that had moved up and the other unit moved towards the Razordons threatening the Maw-Krusha. The other heroes continued their slow move while surrounded. The Gruntas made their charge into the Razordons, but could only get one model in combat. The Scar-Vet dies to the Maw-Krusha and one Razordon dies to the Gruntas.
    IMG_20200125_140026_MP.jpg

T3 Ironjawz: I again stopped his Hand of Gork. The Gruntas and Maw-Krusha make short work of the Razordons and the AstroBear, after taking a few wounds in return. He know controls 3 of 4 objectives. IMG_20200125_141908_MP.jpg
    T3 Seraphon: I moved the Knights screening the Slann towards the Maw-Krusha as a buffer. I summoned 2 Razordons and an AstroBear to fortify the objective I held. I bring the Rippers down into the Gruntas controlling his 2nd objective. I also brought on both units of the Chameleon Skinks to contest his original objective. The Rippers did just managed to do just enough damage to deleted the 3 Gruntas around the objective. Unfortunately, the summoned Razordons and the Chameleons didn't manage to kill any models.

T4 Ironjawz: At this point we are informed the end of this turn, time will be up. He fails the hand of Gork this time. The Ardboyz, Maw-Krusha, and unit of 5 Brutes move to make charges and all succeed. The Ardboys kill all but one Ripper, the Maw-Krusha kills the summoned Razordons and Skinks, and the Brutes kill 2 Chameleons from one unit and 3 from the other.
    IMG_20200125_151646.jpg
    IMG_20200125_151652.jpg

T4 Seraphon: I remove the Chameleon Skinks from the table and teleported the Slann to the corner with one Ripper left. I had just enough room to summon in 10 Skinks, which I then rolled for a charge and got a 9. With the Skinks and the one Ripper, I gained control of this objective. I then brought the Chameleon Skinks back on the board near the other objective being controlled by Gruntas, gaining control of that objective. As game time was now expended, I won a minor victory for controlling 3 of 4 objectives.
    IMG_20200125_152730.jpg

Post-Battle Analysis
    This list is definitely about board control. The Rippers do give some punch, but as usual, they can die very easily. I was tempted to use them on the Maw-Krusha, but decided against it as I knew the one unit of Gruntas on his 2nd objective would need to be handled. I’m somewhat disappointed in the Chameleon Skinks, only because after reading their war scroll again, my opponent and I noticed that when the Chameleons are removed, they cannot return until your next turn’s movement phase. This might have lost me the battle, but we agreed that I could have just as easily moved the Knights down 14” with their drum and still gained control of the same objective.

Aginor, Lizerd, Imrahil and 1 other person like this.
  16. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Battle II: Better Part of Valor
    Realm: Chamon
    Seraphon vs. Slaves to Darkness

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness

Leaders
    Chaos Lord
    (110)
    - Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
    Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (170)
    Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)

Battleline
    40 x Chaos Marauders
    (300)
    - Axes & Shields
    - Mark of Chaos: Khorne

40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
    - Axes & Shields

1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
    - Greatblades

1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
    - Greatblades

10 x Chaos Knights (360)
    - Ensorcelled Weapons

Behemoths
    Chaos Warshrine
    (170)
    Chaos Warshrine (170)

Total: 1930 / 2000
    Wounds: 166

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster
    (260)
    - General

Skink Starpriest (80)
    - Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
    - Spell: Celestial Apotheosis

Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Knights
    (80)
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (80)
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (80)
    - Lances

Units
    5 x Chameleon Skinks
    (110)
    3 x Razordons (120)

Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost
    (180)
    Firelance Starhost (150)
    Dracothion's Tail (80)

Balewind Vortex
    (40)
    Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Wounds: 91

T1 StD: I deployed first and gave my opponent the first turn. Most of the army ran towards me, except a Chariot and a unit of 40x Marauders, which he kept on two of his three objectives. His army had the ability to pick a hero and make it the General each of his turns and they can each summon a unit of 10x Marauders one per battle, so he was able to summon 3 units total. The first summon he put on the third objective. He wasn’t in range for any charges this turn.
    IMG_20200125_165327.jpg

T1 Seraphon: I setup two Knights units to screen against any backfield shenanigans. This game I put the AstroBear on the field, along with the Starpriest, and Slann. I ende up with Re-roll of 1s to hit for my constellation. I was able to cast Balewind and Cogs uninterrupted. I teleported the Slann to my right side, brought down the 3rd unit of Knights and Scar-Vet and teleported back to safety. I then summoned in 10 Skinks on the right to continue to screen. The Knights and Scar-Vet made their charge and killed a few Chaos Knights and I lost two in return.

T2 StD: He switched Generals and summoned in another unit of Marauders to threaten my left objective. His Knights and/or mounted Lord finished off my Knights they were tangled with, but only managed 3 wounds on the Scar-Vet. His chariot on the right ran around the embattled Knights and charged the Knights behind and managed to kill two. The Knights did 3 wounds in return. At the end of his turn, he burned the objective controlled by his 2nd Chariot for 1 VP.
    IMG_20200125_174215.jpg

T2 Seraphon: I teleported the Scar-Vet out of combat and to his objective controlled by 10x Marauders. The two Chameleon Skink units also appeared on the board in his zone. I brought down the Razordons. Knights on the left moved up to charge the 10x Marauders but failed that 4” charge >_<. 10 more Skinks were summoned in to screen the area the Knights left and three more Razordons. The Rippers came down to attack his 40x Marauders in the back. Now it’s a party! The Chameleon units shot into the Marauders and killed a few. One unit of Razordons shot into the other 40x Marauders, killing 12. The summoned Razordons shot into a Chariot, killing it. The Rippers and Scar-Vet made their charges. The Scar-Vet killed 6 Marauders. Between the Rippers and Chameleons, 28 Marauders died and the remaining 12 ran.
    IMG_20200125_181108_MP.jpg

T3 Seraphon: The Slann cast Meteoric Convocation into the remaining large unit of Marauders, killing 11. He then teleported to the back of the StD zone. The remaining 3 Knights on the right moved up to block easy capture of the objective. The Knights on the left moved up to 3” to hopefully not fail another short charge. Razordons and Skinks also moved up. The Slann brought in another 5 Knights in the back. One unit of Chameleon Skinks shot into the remaining 4 Marauders on the right and killed them and the other unit only managed 1 wound into the Chariot. All the Razordons shot into the Marauders, 3 with a -1 Rend and killed another 22. Knights on the left made their charge and killed 9 of the 10 Marauders.
    IMG_20200125_182812.jpg
    IMG_20200125_183618.jpg

T3 StD: In his zone, he moved the Chariot, Chaos Lord and Sorceror, and a War Shrine towards the Rippers. His Chaos Knights encircled the remaining the Saurus Knights, Chaos Lord and Chariot made their charge into the Rippers, but the Warshrine was forced to charge a unit of Chameleons due to a low roll. The mounted Chaos Lord charged the individual Razordons, with two able to shoot into him and killed him. The Warshrine and 3 Marauders charged the unit of 3 Razordons, who also made their overwatch roll, but I opted to shoot at the 3 Marauders, killing them. His Knights were able to kill mine and my other Knight removed the sole Marauder left in combat with them. The Rippers were stuck fighting last due to an ability or spell, I do not recall, but they were reduced to one model by the time they could fight. However, my opponent was unable to take control of the objective. He burned the objective that had no models left to protect it for 2, giving him 3VP.
    IMG_20200125_184110.jpg

T4: We tied for the T4 priority roll, which I just talked through. I would move up the remaining unit of Chameleon Skinks to solidify control of the remaining objective in my opponent’s zone. I would burn it for 2VP. My right objective was worth 4VP, middle 2VP, and left for 2VP. I would end my T4 with 10VP to his 3VP. Major victory for Seraphon.

Post-Battle Analysis
    I made some silly moves and decisions in this battle that didn’t end up sinking me, fortunately. I accidently moved the AstroBear away from my Razordons. In T3 I forgot to move the Rippers to make use of them again. I also forgot to burn any objectives until T4 and I had fully intended to in T3 at least. Fortunately, that didn’t burn me! :-D Overall, though I was happy with my performance. I can really see value in the Chameleon Skinks and think I might play with them more often. I might even buy the models! (Depending on how our Tome changes things)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  17. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Great bat reps. Love seeing more people play around with DT/SS lists!

Lizerd and Wilhelm Stürmer like this.