1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Starborne advice against Tzeentch, Fyreslayers and OBR

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Grotpunter, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

I'll be participating in a tournament soon and these three are my absolutely worst matchups and it is largely due to inexperience against the factions. Nobody at my club plays them so my only experience has been through tournaments. Im hoping someone might play them on a regular basis and could chip in with some advice on how to deal with them and what to focus on.

Disclaimer: My list is absolutely not the best that Starborne has to offer. I realize I do have some dead weight in the list which might hold me back. I just love the double Comet and feel like it gives me a lot against certain matchups, where as others I lack more direct firepower.
    upload_2020-7-26_20-33-48.png

Tzeentch
    upload_2020-7-26_20-36-41.png
    This feels like it is gonna be a nightmare. Guild of Summoners means he will summon a LoC after only getting 9 fate points, and my list has 8 (9 with Balewind) casts. He obviously also got quite a few casts, so the Birdies will come out really quick.
    Be'Lakor will obviously go on Kroak and completely shut him down when hes needed the most. The only thing going for me is the lack of Emerald Lifeswarm to return a Pink Horror bannerbearer and use a DD to return D6 models to keep the Horrors popping. Each unit is still 50 wounds which is a lot, especially if he shuts down Kroak at an important moment. I feel like my only chance at removing the Pink Horrors is with CD spam but afaik Be'Lakor can just wait with revealing his target until turn 2 or 3 where this will be relevant.

I think my plan is to let him move his Horrors forward to cap objectives, aim to remove them with Kroak (flat 3 MW per target with CD will help a lot) and have my Salamanders try to deepstrike and make a mess in his backline.

Fyreslayers
    upload_2020-7-26_20-44-48.png
    I have never been able to beat Fyreslayers and it seems impossible to do so. The Battlesmith has the artefact that makes units within 12" ignore spells on a 4+. The units will also have a 4+ ward save/FNP if within 10" of a hero from what I recall. The Fyrewall is super broken since it makes the heroes invisible if they hug it, meaning I cant really snipe said hero. Both of my Comets dont require LoS, but even if he fails the 4+ spell ignore, the hero can pass wounds down to the Auric Hearthguards on a 4+.

He just runs every unit forward and secures the majority of objectives early. My list doesnt have bodies and I cant really remove his models. My list largely relies on doing splash damage and grind the opponent's army down from turn 2 and onwards. From my games I usually table my opponent in my turn 3 and secure the win by gaining maximum VPs from turn 3 + 4 + 5.

I just dont see how I win this with Fyrewall being stupidly broken and prevents me from ever sniping the Battlesmith, ensuring the units have a 4+ spell ignore and a 4+ FNP ontop.

Bonereapers
    upload_2020-7-26_20-56-13.png
    This also seems like a complete nightmare and goes against a lot of what my list tries to do. He can heal/return 6 wounds on 4 units per turn, so if I dont wipe a unit flat out, it'll come back/he will heal it back up to full. This wouldnt be too awful if it wasnt because his 2 Crawlers will fire a total of 8 shots per round. My Guards will die real fast and my Slanns following shortly after.

I have a hard time figuring out what I should focus fire on. I think I would largely ignore Katakros and Arkhan (although if Arkhan for some reason chills on his own somewhere it could be an easy snipe with my Salamanders) and try to wipe 1 group of Mortek Guard between Stellar Tempest, Celestial Deliverance and my other spells. With a bit of splash damage I think 2x3 Salamanders could wipe the other Mortek Guard unit. I just worry his Crawlers will wipe my Salamanders. Ideally I would try to teleport Skinks and see if I could tag the Crawlers in melee to prevent shooting but Arkhan would likely hang back and make short work of the Skinks with Arcane Bolt spam though.

IggyStarhost and LizardWizard like this.