1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Starting Seraphon

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Tip4Tap, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Lustria Online is a really nice place to be in!

But of course, guys, after all we are cold blooded (light-ed?) creatures:
    we cannot expect the same quiet attitude from Chaos lovers, rats or green skins! :joyful:

Tip4Tap, Crowsfoot and tom ndege like this.
  2. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

Im fairly sure we are going to see empire and brets become one faction. I don't know how much will make it though as brets haven't had an update since 5th Or 6th edition fantasy.
    I wish GW would keep us updated on what is getting cut and whats not. I have friends who want to play both empire and elves, however, both of them only want to play current AoS models. Therefore, they are both hesitating to start until its confirmed GW is going to keep supporting both armies. I know you can still use old armies in AoS but they specifically want the new stuff as its going to get lasting support from GW which I understand and agree with.

3. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

@Bainbow A friend of mine would like to ask how you run your stormcast eternal army? He's fairly new to the game and is struggling with the slow movement and against magic (as stormcast have none). Once he gets into combat he's fine it's just getting there that's the issue. Any tips would be hugely helpful!

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Here you are.
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/tactics-for-other-armies.17247/
    (page 1) ;)

5. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of this thread. I have read every page and have shown my friend the Stormcast page. In fact I've shown all my friends this thread!
    However, my friend likes to play very defensively and I saw that @Bainbow said he also plays Stormcast defensively. That is why I wanted to see his take on things.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Killer Angel likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I see. ..
    Indeed, defensive armies may suffer fast and aggressive armies .
    If your basic move is 4-5, the options to outmanoveur opponents with 12-14, are fairly limited... ;)

Bowser and Tip4Tap like this.
  7. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

Yeah everyone keeps telling him to play more aggressive but he insists on going for a more defensive strategy.

8. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

If you want to break a defensive army, you're going to need some Line Breakers, things that can break down defensive lines without too much effort. A Knight army is basically an entire army of Line Breakers with their double Mortal Wounds, but for other armies a Stegadon with Rend -3 or Salamanders with Rend -2 make for great Line Breakers. Basically anything with a high Rend or Mortal Wounds.

Also I've given you your Stormcast defensive tactica just below.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Tip4Tap likes this.
  9. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Didn't see this one, sorry.
    If he's going defensive, then Liberators are his best friend. They do basically no damage, but they just won't die. I'd absolutely recommend the battalion Grymn's Brotherhood because your Liberators basically become invincible to anything not designed to kill armour. Not only do all Battalion units (including the Liberators of the battalion of course) gain a +1 Save, but Grymn's also a Lord-Castellant so he can use his lantern to offer a further +1. With shields, the Liberators are now running a 2+ Save with rerolls of 1, and any roll of a 6 will heal a wound, effectively saving twice. This leads you to having a roughly 1/36 chance of taking a wound while you have a 1/6 chance of healing, meaning without Line Breakers you aren't going to get past this line.

Retributors are a good thing to use for damage. Combined with a Lord-Celestant on Foot for that +1 To Hit Command Ability and a Knight-Vexillor with the Pennant of the Stormbringer and you can give your Retributors a 2+ To Hit with Blasted To Ashes activating on a 5+ instead of a 6+ like normal, and then you can teleport them anywhere on the board with the Vexillor. You can use this to counter-attack or to preemptively take out Line Breakers or generals or anyone you really want dead.

Ranged units are great for the defense because setting them up behind your Liberators can allow them to safely fire into the melee to make up for the Liberator's inability to do real damage. I prefer some Crossbow Judicators for this because they don't have to move due to being defensive, meaning they can get their +1 Attack bonus from standing still. Some Prosecutors with Javelins are also quite useful because of their Damage 2 at a range being actually quite powerful, as well as the fact that melee Prosecutors are rubbish and you need some Prosecutor's to make up Grymn's Brotherhood anyway.

Lastly, the Celestant-Prime is made for defensive armies. He gets stronger the later in the game you drop him down, so setting up a defensive line as far away from the enemy as you can and then using your defense to stall for time can allow you to drop the Prime at a very late turn, allowing for an amazing counter-attack. Bonus points if you chain this with counter-attacking with the Retributors at this point. Also note that while the Prime must appear 9" from the enemy, you can use his Orrey of Celestial Fates to change any one dice roll of his once per turn, so as long as one of the charge dice you roll is a 3 or higher, you can use this ability to guarantee at least a 9" charge.

10. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

Thank you so much for doing that. I'll direct my friend to this thread so he can read. He'll be so happy that someone else is play Stormcast defensively!

11. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Oh, and while Liberators are weak in melee, with an on-foot Lord Celestant as the general, they'll be hitting high-wound targets on a 2+ with hammers. Weak they may be, but soon as they see a high wound target and Lay Low The Tyrants activates (still my favourite name for an ability) they turn into real monsters.

Tip4Tap likes this.
  12. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

So yes.. hmm Empire
    http://warhammer-empire.com is the place to be. At the moment discussing a reform of the forum to be more for all human factions. 8th Empire, 9th Age (Sohnnsthal), AoS Free People (once the become clear) and trying to make it a home for Stormcast Eternals as they don't have a faction oriented forum (yet) and they are Human also :)
    At the moment a "decent" amount of traffic for AoS (for a single subforum at the moment) and with loads of information (provided by yours truly) about AoS in general, Stormcast in particular.

Jamie Searle and Tip4Tap like this.
  13. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

Thank you for this. I'll pass it onto my friend and get him to stop by!

StealthKnightSteg likes this.
  14. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

That said, the Empire was one of the first armies we looked at in the Tactics For Other Armies thread, I think I was the one who did it actually. You could have him take a quick look there too.

Tip4Tap and Crowsfoot like this.
  15. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

Yup I've shown him that! A group of us had a read through of that thread the other day. I have to say for someone looking to start AoS it was most enjoyable! It's really helping me to grasp they way AoS plays.

Bainbow and StealthKnightSteg like this.
  16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

The guys have done a fantastic job so far and I can only see them getting better as new tactics and ideas are discussed.

tom ndege, Killer Angel and Tip4Tap like this.
  17. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

I could not agree more.

18. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Really? Well I'm so glad that we could help, then. :D

Tip4Tap likes this.
  19. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

Yes sir really really. There's a group of us who are all going to start playing AoS together. That thread is so helpful.

Bowser, Killer Angel and Bainbow like this.
  20. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Well I'm so happy we helped. Let us know if there's anything else you want, yeah? We'll be happy to offer any helping hands.

Bowser likes this.