1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Tactics for other Armies

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Killer Angel, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Right, they can be nasty.

Not exactly the typical battleshock test, but it's the only way you can kill Kroak (in the battleshock phase of each turn, roll a dice and add the number of wounds Kroak suffered during the turn. If the result is higher than his bravery, he is slain, otherwise he heals)

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

Damn, I need to pick up my slack.

Tip4Tap likes this.
  3. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Well... Got a question... Could it be, that the low rolls for TZEENTCH armies and maybe for all armies that rely on magic might be a disadvantage? I mean the rules say that to dispell you just need to roll higher then the roll with which the spell was cast... So if you get the casting roll down to 3+ or so and cast it with a roll of 3 one just has to roll 4+ to dispell it. Or am I wrong?

4. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Sorry... Double posted cause of bad mobile connection...

5. YZK
    Saurus

YZK Member

I'm not aware of an effect that lowers the casting value of spells - only effects that increase your roll. So if you have a +2 on your casting roll, and you roll a 3, it'll be considered as if you roll a 5. Your opponent then has to roll higher than 5, assuming they don't have a bonus to dispel rolls.

Anyway, whether or not an effect exists that lowers the casting value of spells, that does not make it easier or harder for your opponent to dispel. The casting value is the minimum you have to roll to cast your spell successfully. When your cast is successful, your opponent can attempt to prevent the cast. The casting value can be 4+, but if you roll a 12, your opponent still has to roll higher than 12. Likewise, if the casting value is 10, and you roll a 12, your opponent still has to roll higher than 12 to stop your spell.

I hope I was clear! :)

6. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Thats true if you get a high roll it's harder to dispell. I thought it was more a problem for spells that are cast by using bonuses to reach the casting value...

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Three things.
    1 - if I have bonuses to cast, then my final roll will be higher. A roll of 6 + 2, means that you need to roll a 8 to successfully dispel.
    2 - your caster must be within 18 " to dispel. I could be in range to cast upon your troops, and outside your dispel range.
    3 - you can only try to dispel a limited amount of spells. A Slann got 3 tries, and he's really good. .. tzeentch can cast a lot more.

8. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Ok. So no matter what the natural casting roll is you have to at least roll the casting value to dispell... Dispel range is clear... Just keep your distance an cast what you can... ;)

9. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

If you can, not all armies will give you that breathing room. Beastmen in particular.

10. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

Anyone fancy doing Warrior of Chaos? The first ever models I got was a unit of WoC knights. My dad got me them back in 2003!

11. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Which god?

12. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

Khorne or Nurgle. Although I know Khorne is a more exclusive army and doesn't really pull from the other Chaos grand alliance right?

What I'd really like to see is a slave for darkness/everchosen themed army.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  13. Killer Angel
    Slann

The problem in "keeping the distance", is that you cast spells in your hero phase, before moving. So, the enemy sees where your casters are, and can move his casters to counter you (or can directly try to attack them).
    Now, you shouldn't build your tactic around it, but sometime you can effectively counter enemy's magic.
    Real game example: I've got my block of saurus warriors, backed by Sunblood and Starseer, advancing toward the centre.
    My enemy was an Ogre army, that was trying to lure me in the range of his butcher.
    Now, the last thing i wanted, was to see my horde, being chomped away by the maws, so i used my move to place my starpriest (buffed with curse of fate) at 18" from his butcher. It costed me resources, but, tnx to curse of fate and cosmic herald, his butcher didn't cast a single spell in all the game.

You need to be careful with your movements and plannings, if you want to cast without being countered, and be able to counter enemy's magic.
    (at least, this is if we speak about magical attacks. Magic that buffs units, is easier to cast, and harder to counter, because casters usually stay in safer positions).
    The previous list of tzeentch, doesn't fear counterspells: they can cast too many spells, there's no way the opponent can counter 'em all.

EDIT: I've edited my Tomb Kings review, adding the Necrotect. On a second thought, the guy is simply too amazing to don't include it! :p

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  14. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

A Slaves to Darkness army, eh? Funnily enough I have a good friend who has just finished one, perhaps I'll take a look at it on your behalf. He's roughly around as good as me, so his army should be good. (We're having a massive game at some point soon to settle the question of who's better.)

If not, I'll write one up myself. And I'll also do a Khorne Slaves and a Nurgle Slaves army too.

15. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

Perfect! You are too good sir!

I've wanted to see how the slaves to darkness army would be played since they released it. If you could take a look at his army that would be fantastic and a real help! Depending on what it looks like/how it plays I may start collecting that and Seraphon at the same time.

16. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

I do know that his Slaves army is led by Archaon. Do you want him, or do you want a more monotheistic army?

17. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

I suppose as much as I would love to field Archaon he's like 20 wounds by himself. Unless you're playing a mega battle it's very risky to have him. With Archaon in the army the model count would be so low any unit you lose could almost cripple the whole army. Therefore, I think a more monotheistic army would be better. As long as it still uses units from the slaves to darkness it doesn't really matter.

18. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

@Bainbow In fact when your friend uses Archaon in a 100-125 wound game isn't his army tiny? How does he compensate against this?

In practice I have no idea how good Archaon actually is so for all I know he could be able to single handedly kill an entire army which would obviously explain using him.

19. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Well Slaves To Darkness armies in general are rather small because they have 2 Wounds each and a 4+ Save as standard with a 5+ Save against Mortal Wounds. So while he has fewer troops, they are much harder to kill. The lower numbers are not an issue, they're standard.

Besides, Archaon only takes up less than 10% of the army, and brings a tonne of power with some baller stats and the best Command Ability in the game. He's very affordable in larger games like 125W.

Tip4Tap likes this.
  20. Tip4Tap
    Saurus

Tip4Tap Member

In that case I guess Archaon isn't such a risk. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the army would include.