1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The army of Tsunami (TG painting guide/blog 9/11)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Lord Tsunami, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Re: The army of Tsunami (some Temple guards - 31/10)

the stone is ultramarines blue followed by a wash of azurmen blue. then a line of ultramarines, the ice blue and lastly a thin line of pure white. very simple stuff :)

2. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Re: The army of Tsunami (TG painting guide/blog 4/11)

Hi folks!

I have gotten so much great feedback and PMs asking for color recepies and so on for my TGs i posted earlier, that i decided to do a little step by step thing on them. However, i have not painted the models yet, so i thoght i would combine the tutorial, with a bit of blogging ...within the blog. anyway, the plan is that i add some more pictures to the guide as i go along. this will help motivate me to finish this batch of TGs and hopefully you guys will like it too. I will update this post as i go along, but i guess i will bump the topic too as i update. Here we go!

I started by priming this guy white. the reason is very simple: i ran out of black spray half way through the batch so i chose to do the rest white rather than to run and buy another can. also, it doesnt matter very much what color you do as long as you cover it up properly. When i am done with the model i will take a pic of it next to one of the black primed guys.

I glue on the leg and head to the model, but keep the arms separate for now. i find this to be easier, but you do whatever floats your boat.

For the painting i started with knarlock green and added maybe 10-20% of black to it. I painted this on, making sure to cover all of the skin. I dont care the slightest if it goes on any non-skin parts, but it will look terrible if i missed anything and ended up with a white gap. better too much than too little. Dont do a very thick layer though, just make sure to cover it all.

After that i added quite a lot of bleached bone (maybe 30%?) to the blend and did a rough drybrush over the entire skin, covering much of it.

Lastly, i did a finer drybrush with rotting flesh. this time i made sure to have very little paint on the brush so it would only catch the very raised areas. I did all of the above painting with the brush you can see in the pic. its a pretty big and very cheap one (6 euro for 15 of them!).

DSCN0186.jpg

The skin isnt done yet, but i will not do the rest of the steps till later. Some other colors should be added first.

UPDATE!

OK, so this took a bit longer than i had wanted. lots of other stuff to do... Lets continue:

Next i did the shields (the pink on them anyway). I started with a layer of mechrite red as a start. then i added bleached bone in two stages for highlights and drybrushed them on. first layer is more of a "wet brush" since it covers basically everything except the deep recesses. After the drybrush was dry, i applied a liberal wash of a 2:1:1 mix of baal red - badab black - water. This should look like a good red wine before applying it. Once that was dry (takes a long time, so i painted other stuff in between) i did a very careful edge drybrush with bleached bone with just a dot of mechrite red in it. This gives a very high contrast pink color, and that is what i am aiming for. I also use this technique on my beasts, like my stegadon. works very well.

DSCN0187-horz.jpg

Next i started on the areas of bone and spikes and claws. I started by painting them in Khemri brown. This layer wont show very much, but it will shine through a bit and give an effect on the spikes that i really like. Then i covered the helmet in bleached bone, and the spikes and claws were painted more carefully, leaving a bit of the brown showing. These are not done yet, but other stuff needs to be painted before i can move on with them.

DSCN0188-horz.jpg

Now, i went for the gold. I started by basecoating all of it with iyaden darksun. This is a pain in the @$$ and as usual, my painting spirit was all gone after i was done. However, it pays off in the next step, where i covered it in just one thin layer of vallejo glorious gold. citadel gold works too, but i think this one has a bit better coverage. If you look closely, you can see that the layer isnt really even, but it will not matter when it is all said and done. If i had not basecoated with darksun i would have to do several coats here.

DSCN0191-horz.jpg

SMALL UPDATE:

I did the magic step. The washing. Actually, i first painted the straps and other leather parts with calthran brown, but i didnt take a separate pic of that. I think that i will do this with scorched brown in the future, because i want the leather parts to be as unobtrusive as possible. The shouldnt draw focus, and a darker color will probably be better. Anyway, i washed the skin and leather parts with badab black, probably mixed roughly 2:1 with water. This is a very liberal wash and it will take like an hour to dry. i made dinner meanwhile. afterwards, i inked the gold and bone areas with devlan mud (again, probably 2:1 mixed with water). In the future, i will do it in reverse order, since the devlan mud can show a little bit near the gold areas on the skin, and you dont really want that. It is a liberal wash and will take a long time to dry. I went to bed meanwhile :p

DSCN0193-horz.jpg

This is basically as far as you might want to go on regular units, but these are elites, so i will add some more highlights and details. but that is for next update :)

Bracnos likes this.
  3. Ihx-Karaq
    Saurus

Ihx-Karaq New Member

Waiting entusiasticly for more steps! looks nice so far.

3 at once? :O

4. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Hey, those TG are awesome buddy! I think your painting is definitely improving - looking forward to the rest of your tutorial :)

5. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

6. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

TG painting guide updated again.

7. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

nice tutorial, ty.

Just a question. Dont you ever mess up the paintjob when finally assembling the arms etc.
    I have a pretty bad relationship with glue and i end up getting everything glued together except my models ;)

I am using those UHA plastic glue bottle with a brush in it. But i assume you are using a more precise glueing tool?

8. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

lol. no i dont end up gluing things (myself) together when i assemble. and no i dont use a special tool. i use this:

straight oit of the can. just a small drop will do it.

9. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

10. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Yeah congratulations about that little piece of publicity :D!!! It's really great to have yet another L-O member make his way to the What's new today daily post. It really says something about the quality of painters we have in the community!

11. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

oooh, thanks guys :)

it was a pleasant surprise to me too. way too little lizards on the GW site tbh...

12. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Oh, wow, congrats dude! Much deserved.

13. bgm200
    Saurus

bgm200 New Member

The development from page 1-10 is of the chart! That TG guide is awesome.

Looking forward see more from you ;)

14. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

hehe. well its gonna be a while im afraid. currently im all dark elves. it usually goes in waves with me. ill probably be back in a year or so :p

about the development, thats not too strange. many of the units on page 1 were painted up to 10 years ago, while the latest ones are fresh :p

15. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Nice step by step creation. Really good work on your paint job all around. Keep it up!

16. bgm200
    Saurus

bgm200 New Member

Yeah, that explains alot ;)

Ah nice! Got me some DE's aswell. The army is about 80% done. I should really get that sorted out before I continue on the lizards. Guess i just needed some change. But they are extreamly funny to play

17. rag
    Saurus

rag New Member

Great little step by step guide.
    Really like the colours , lot more "realistic" than a lot of the colours you see.
    Will be following this plog.....

18. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Finally clicked on your signature to check out your stuff. Glad I did! I wish I had thought about cutting off their crests, lol. Didn't even cross my mind until I saw yours! I agree that they look better without them.

Looking forward to more of your stuff. :smug:

19. Kharn The Betrayer
    Razordon

Kharn The Betrayer New Member

My color scheme is very similar to yours XD, I have dark green skin, rotting flesh scales, and a red (I know yours is pink) shield, though yours are much better looking. You've actually inspired me not to change my color scheme (I was thinking about it) . I use catachan green with black, is narlock better?

20. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

whatever floats your boat m8 :D

Pick a color you like. best to experiment a bit on a palette first. im sure catachan green can look good too.