1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The GREAT 40k thread

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Killer Angel, Oct 4, 2020.

1. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

The Salamanders bit was kind of unsurprising, given that the Nick Kyme books prominently feature a Chaos warband led by fallen members of both the Salamanders and Salamanders-adjacent chapters (including the Black Dragons).

More on a tangential note, I'm already halfway through building some units for a Traitor alt to my usual Horus Heresy Salamanders list:
    • Praetor with jump pack, master-crafted thunder hammer and dragonscale stormshield;
    • Command squad retinue with jump packs (8 with volkite chargers and two lightning claws, 1 with legion standard and power axe);
    • Librarian (Biomancy) with jump pack, volkite charger and master-crafted force axe;
    • Moritat with jump pack and two volkite serpentas; and
    • Destroyer Assault Squad (8 with dual hand flamers, 2 with rad missile launchers with suspensors)
    Incidentally, with the sole exception of the moritat (which I still need to source a model for), all of these models have been using Chaos Raptors of some kind as the base model. The Praetor himself was converted from Haarkon Worldclaimer for instance.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    Killer Angel likes this.
  2. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

I'd give it to the lion with the quote "thankfully, my mastery of strategy is sanctioned by terra itself."

ChapterAquila92 and Killer Angel like this.
  3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Just looked this up. Even though I'm not interested in the Horus Heresy (not enough Xenos content!!!!!), I am interested in 'Mirror Universe' scenarios, and like the idea of being able to play good guy Thousand Sons who have retained their Egyptian iconography.

The Black Templars being the only chapter that remains loyalist and the Black Legion being the only chapter that remains Chaotic (though both with different origins to their prime universe counterparts) is interesting.

The Ultramarines becoming a separatist faction that fights both Imperium and Chaos and contemplates borrowing Xenos technology while promoting a more tolerant atmosphere feels quite Matt Wardian (and steals the Leagues of Votann's thunder), but is also quite funny, one big troll face toward the Imperium of the prime universe, and an excuse to call them a Xenos faction now. Also I'm pleased to see that Hive Fleet Behemoth still arrives to tear through their Segmentum, plus the Orks and the Tau decide to join the party.

I wonder how this alternative universe would fully affect the Xenos races?

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

5. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

That is an amazing cosplay

6. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

New scheme v old scheme. What do we think? I did not paint the old scheme, and I thought it was a good color combo to try.

PXL_20230429_090932221~2.jpg PXL_20230429_090947109~2.jpg PXL_20230422_044014961.jpg

Killer Angel likes this.
  7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

9. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I finished my second Deathwatch Contemptor Dreadnought, the Ancient Harun Abbas of the extinct Lions Sable chapter.

warden20230428_deathwatch lions sable 10.jpg
    warden20230428_deathwatch lions sable 11.jpg

Very pleased with the result, though I notice now the matte varnish did not seem to work on the base for some reason?

Anyway, here is his chapter heraldry, made with both some custom transfers I printed myself and some leftover fleur-de-lis from my Bretonnia transfers!

warden20230428_deathwatch lions sable 02.jpg

BrotherSutek and Imrahil like this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

11. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

BrotherSutek Well-Known Member

This would look even cooler if it was painted in Deathwing colors.

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only ultramarines blue

13. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

It's so depressing that this is true.
    30k is all yellow in the same way.

14. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

Which is kind of annoying because the Fists didn't really do much prior to the Siege of Terra outside of a handful of engagements when compared to other legions (especially the Smurfs).

BrotherSutek likes this.
  15. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

I tend to rant on this a bit so I'll make it brief lol. IF have slowly been changed in the warhammer fluff, now they were the best Legion in the crusades other than maybe the Lunar Wolves. Previous fluff of it being the Lunar, Dark Angels and Space Wolves is no longer valid. The story of Dorn killing Alpharius was a ham fisted ending to an otherwise decent book. The only purpose was to have Dorn be smarter and better than Alpharius. It also made no sense in that Dorn is autisticly black and white morally and would never have trusted/believed Alpharius making the choice to " show Dorn how he had to keep Alpharius alive" completely invalid. Dorn didn't do much and was given the title of Primarch stay at home so he needed something to give him street cred and nothing says badass like a Primarch kill. Only one was available for that so there we go. Index Astartes, which is no longer canon I know, had Dorn with both positive and negative traits. It made him interesting and I actually started a IF force due to that. Years later they did what the Wardian Heresy did to Roubute to Dorn. No flaws and if they seem like flaws they are used as advantages. He became boring and a mary sue. The IF did many things and were impressive but they also had flaws like any other Legion, mind you they have also removed a good deal of the flaws from the Ultramarines in 30k which is also annoying, however they made Roubute an actual interesting character so I can look past it. Sorry about the rant, it just seems that once again story is out to the side and we lose out. They can make us mourn the loss of Kharn to the nails but don't understand that all characters benefit from that.

16. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

Oh, I know. Welcome to the eternal annoyance of every Shattered Legions player. LOL

BrotherSutek likes this.
  17. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

I just like the idea that the shattered legions had and don't know why GW seems to hate the idea this edition.

18. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

19. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

That was well made. Gives the tyranids a good threat level without going all in about the dozens of different hive fleets.

20. Lord-Marcus
    Slann