1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Multiple Spawnings of the [As yet undecided Temple-Ship]

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by PartridgeKing, Dec 27, 2020.

1. PartridgeKing
    Skink

PartridgeKing Member

So I originally played Lizardmen back in 5th edition Fantasy and as such have a decent sized force of old models which I have added to on and off over the intervening years. I'd not originally intended to add any Saurus to the 31 of the 'old guard', however having 10 of the metal Saurus Knights, conversion ideas for other armies and what turned out to be an exceptional deal on ebay has gained me 10 of the current Saurus and several spare heads and alternative bodies for more.

Therefore at this point I'm leaning into the fact that my Saurus are clearly from multiple spawnings - and coming up with appropriate backstory - which has led to the physical divergences. What I'd appreciate though is any advice or thoughts people might have and be willing to share as to the newest batch.

Photos for explanation:
    The Original Spawning (for anyone who's not seen old-school Saurus before)
    IMG_2353.JPEG

Current Conversion Plan - the bodies and legs are Snake-men from Frostgrave's Ghost Archipelago and overall I think the scale and details on the chests are pretty reasonable. My concern (other than the lack of tail) however is how thin and rangy the legs are. Any thoughts as to how to make it look less like they are wearing skinny jeans? Also any pointers on the tails would be appreciated!

IMG_2505.JPEG IMG_2506.JPEG

2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I like your solution. This can make for an interesting background and mix of models.

Because of you mentioning the Temple ship I guess your army will be for AoS, so any backstory will be fine ;)

As for the legs and tail :cyclops: I see your Point.
    The legs are difficult without losing the fine detail.
    Can you attach the tail of the regular Saurus to it (or is this conversion done with a spare head?)

Good luck

Grrr, Imrahil

3. PartridgeKing
    Skink

PartridgeKing Member

Thanks! It was the only way my head would accept it!

I'm assuming AoS but as everything is still square based it could still be fantasy. I don't know anyone who plays fantasy locally and have just been generally following the lore forwards. It'd probably still work as multiple spawnings of the temple city, sadly I don't have the name of my old one anymore!

Sadly I have a surfeit of heads & weapons, and a dearth of bodies. Most annoyingly my large block of saurus are all hand weapon wielders so the 15 new ones I make, will by my only spear carriers - which I feel is the wrong way round aesthetically.

4. kalimsshar
    Skink

kalimsshar Member

As they are different, the 15 new one with spear can be made as saurus guards. A short tail made of greenstuff is an option for fighters who stand a bit more straight as they don't need long tail to balance.
    As they stand straighter than the other they may be created to be in flat area (easy to walk on) full of middle height line of sight blockers (bushes, fence, windows...) They can be commandos to act in ruined cities.

LizardWizard and Imrahil like this.
  5. PartridgeKing
    Skink

PartridgeKing Member

That's a good idea, the only difficulty being that 10 of them are actual current Saurus Warrior models, so I imagine I'd need to add something to make the difference clearer even if they stand out from the bulk of my own army.

6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Seems like an interesting project! Keep posting pictures!