1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS The new Battletome: A Discussion

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by sigmonstar, Mar 2, 2020.

?

Are you optimistic about our new battletome?

1. Yes

160 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Undecided

30 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

I have a quick question and don't want to start new thread at rules questions just for it.

Cold Ferocity allows oldblood to gain 2 wound rolls for hit roll of 6 for celestite weapon. ScarVet's CA allows the same. Is it cumulative? Do we get 4 hits as a result, if both abilities are applied?

FAQ on previous incarnation of ScarVet's CA clarified, that you get additional hit roll for every 6. I hope, the logic is the same here.

2. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I was looking over the subfactions for Starborne and Coalesced. It seems like the Coalesced factions each work better, with strong abilities that benefit and reinforce the others. Starborne factions seem more spread out. Dracothion's Tail is very slann-specific, but lacks a Command Ability (maybe a small thing). Fangs of Sotek is focused on skinks, but has a saurus general command trait? I don't know, maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing. I like Starborne but fear they might be a bit behind the combat curve with the new battletome.

Judge dread (Saurian) and Lizerd like this.
  3. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

Since one is a trait and the other a CA and they don't share a name, I believe they do stack. Only thing is, there's probably another unit that would benefit more from the SV's CA.

Judge dread (Saurian) and Lizerd like this.
  4. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

That may not be the case, as in an FAQ there was a question similar to this one where the end ruling was only one result would activate.

In the case of the scar vet, pop it’s command ability on a large unit of saurus knights or warriors to guarantee a stupid amount of attacks

5. sigmonstar
    Saurus

sigmonstar Active Member

Can you post a link to the FAQ in question? If this is the case then we wouldn't be able to stack similar abilities such as +1 to hit from koatl's claw and saurus oldblood's CA

Lizerd likes this.
  6. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

It’s from the core book faq,

Q: Sometimes a dice roll will trigger an effect. For example, a weapon might have a rule that says a hit roll of 6 causes two hits on the target instead of 1. What happens if another effect applies to the same roll? For example, the weapon from the previous example might have a rule that says it inflicts D6 mortal wounds on a hit roll of 6 and the attack sequence ends – would I get to inflict two hits that each inflicted D6 mortal wounds?
    A: When a dice roll triggers more than one effect, each effect is triggered once. For this example, this means that the hit roll would cause two hits, but only one of the hits would inflict D6 mortal wounds (you would carry out the rest of the attack procedure for the other hit normally).

edit: so it seems to only be affected by multiple effects being triggered on 6s, so different abilities granting bonuses to hit or wound that don’t call themselves out and say they can’t be used on the same unit twice are in the clear.

Cuetzpal Pilli and Nart like this.
  7. sigmonstar
    Saurus

sigmonstar Active Member

i would rule that each of the "effects" trigger once just as in the example given. so the oldblood's ability to count the 6's rolled to hit as two hits would trigger, and then the scar veteran's CA would trigger, granting another two hits. thus giving you 4 hits for every 6 rolled. i think the FAQ was to clear up different effects triggering on the same criteria.

8. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

The batallions in general seem stronger for Coalesced. I was hoping to play a combination of Fangs of Sotek and Thunderquake batallion, but the Starborne version is kinda meh.

The artefact for Fangs of Sotek is kinda memey anyways. The subfaction really lends itself towards mass Skinks and Skink synergies.

It needs to be put on a Saurus. He will be largely useless in this force (his CA) beside just being himself. Against stuff like Archaeon and Nagash the odds of even getting a wound through is so low due to their really good saves + rerolls + FNP saves. Then you have the 5+ ontop of this? Nah feels like a wasted artefact - But that is fine, since you just take artefacts for your Skink heroes/Slann.

Cuetzpal Pilli and Lizerd like this.
  9. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

This FAQ refers to a situation where you have exploding attacks on 6s, but also have something like Sword of Judgement where any 6s deal D6 mortal wounds.

The question was then, if you score 2 attacks Due to exploding 6s, does that mean 2xD6 MW then? The answer was no, you get 1 normal attack and 1 D6.

2 abilities that grant exploding 6s totally stack. It wouldnt give 4 attacks though, but +2 attacks = 3 for every 6 to hit.

10. Xuil
    Chameleon Skink

Xuil Well-Known Member

It has to be given to the 'first hero', so can be a Skink or a Slann too, either of which can actually work! Don't forget our EOTG and the starpriest staff - a mortal wound would count for triggering this too; the ripper chief can boost his own attacks, and the Slann... well... 6 shots of 3" poisoned lightning can be shot from behind a line of Saurus Guard...

Lizerd likes this.
  11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

yep, that's it.

12. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Ahhh thats true. I just double checked. It is the command trait that must be put on a Saurus General.

Damn its looking worse and worse for my FoS plans. I wanted to equip my Slann with Itxi Grubs (1 hp heal each hero phase + reroll 1 casting/dispelling/unbinding per turn) and then Aetherquartz on some other hero.

I wanted to opt out of it all together by simply not taking a Saurus as my general. I find the 5+ so unreliable

Lizerd likes this.
  13. Xuil
    Chameleon Skink

Xuil Well-Known Member

Yup - all of the constellations lock down your artefact. It's even worse for the thunder lizard, as the command trait HAS to go to a model with a mount, or it's wasted.

Basically, if you want Ixi Grubs, you're taking a batallion.
    This alone makes Dracothian's Tail a real contender... you get the Ixi re-rolls (plus an extra spell known) with the Incandescent Rectrices on your Slann/Carnosaur.

14. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

you can also just go clanless but i don't think our command traits are worth it

Womboski and Lizerd like this.
  15. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Yeah but you can just select a different general. Nowhere does it say that your general must be X. So with Thunder Lizard you just select a Slann as the general = Pick freely from the general traits.

You could totally go FoS, make Slann the general and pick Arcane Might (general trait, reroll 1 casting/unbinding/dispell each turn) and then Aetherquartz. Give some Skink hero that is more likely to be in the front the Serpent God Dagger and let him try to ping stuff with multiple wounds from range.

16. Blitzkriyg
    Temple Guard

Blitzkriyg Well-Known Member

Can't speak for the other ones, but I've checked and double checked, the thunder lizard one isn't mandatory. Besides, if you aren't taking the steg alpha with +5 movement, -1 to hit, +1 save and fly, you're doing it wrong lol

17. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on eviscerating blade from koatls claw? I’m debating between it and sword of judgement.

Pros for eviscerating blade
    - triggers on anything
    - mortal wounds inflicted are additional to the base damage

pros for sword of judgement
    - a lot of mortal wounds
    - good hero or monster killer

Judge dread (Saurian) likes this.
  18. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

what in the world is "Ixi Grubs"?

Lizerd likes this.
  19. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Its explained in the post just above the one you quoted.

Lizerd and Cuetzpal Pilli like this.
  20. sigmonstar
    Saurus

sigmonstar Active Member

its a slaan artifact, heal a wound in each of your hero phases and you can reroll one casting, dispelling, and unbinding roll in each hero phase.

Schwaaah and Lizerd like this.