1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. The new book: Everything in one place! [Out of date!]

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by GCPD, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Re: The new book: Everything in one place! [updated 29/07]

I picked it up a few days ago, and so far the only thing I notice that hasn't really been talked about too much is the fact that the Bastiladon has a Tail Attack that it only uses when it gets rear-charged. The other Bastiladon does not use this attack when it is attacking to it's front. That should be interesting to play with.

I'll post interesting snippets if I see anymore.

2. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Hmm, interesting indeed if true. Most likely means you'll have to perform a combat reform to turn your rear arc toward the enemy.

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Lol, I can see it now. You try to back it up to things to hit!

Don't miss this oppurtunity BoB!

4. stormtruperTK41
    Saurus

stormtruperTK41 New Member

I mentioned the tail attack to someone on here last week but I don't think it got any traction. You may laugh now, but seeing how the Bastiladon is something we know essentially nothing about, it would not be hard to imagine that enemies gain no bonus for attack it in the rear and when fighting from the rear it gets some amazing tail attack that replaces its other attacks. In that scenario, you charge into combat and then do a combat reform to turn around and wail on the enemy with a giant clubbed tail. Perhaps its will be an attack similar to the warsphinx thundercrush attack? I think that would be really interesting if it also has high toughness and saves.

5. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Yeah, I remember you saying that. I just thought it was interesting that it was only to the rear. And yes, like you said, we don't really know anything about it yet. Imagine all the people that fight one for the first time and pull off a rear charge on it. Surprise!

6. Pofadder
    Cold One

Pofadder New Member

Haha I can see it already...along with the reversing truck sound peep...peep...peep lol

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Great minds....

I could hear the same sound. I could see a skink directing it back too.

8. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Somehow the skink directing the backup in my head has a thick Bostonian accent...

"a'right Chahlie, swing tha tayul now..."

9. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Skinks with hardhats! I think Bob has that in a drawing already.

Another thing to note about the White Dwarf batrep: Both the Carno and the Trog died relatively easily. The Oldblood had no gear to speak of besides some armor, so he was killed by a KB attack. The Carno broke on Ld5 and was run down.

Trog did a little better against the Colossus. Well, not better but it didn't get run down and slaughtered. It was still ground down before the Stegadon could rush in for support.

Seeing as both of these beasties are T5 W5, I assume we are going to be losing them a lot. I know sometimes I struggle to keep my Carnosaur alive for an entire game right now, and that's when there aren't cannons.

10. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I can only read that in Yorkshire, and nothing else.

11. IronJaw
    Cold One

IronJaw Member

Maybe that's what all the new Skink are for... Buffing... AND Buffering....

12. stormtruperTK41
    Saurus

stormtruperTK41 New Member

The monsters are such a hot topic that they should probably have their own thread but I think that having walk between worlds on a unit of terradons or rippers will give you a charge on artillery by turn two easily. Use eotg and some buffs to protect it in the mean time and then just be smart about your match ups and force your opponent to make hard choices.

13. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

Skinks have lore of beasts now,what if you cast a toughness boost on a character, is the beast also affected or only the character?
    If the beast is affected to you'll be able to play with T8 carnosaurs

14. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

Should it be possible that the lore of High Magic would be the same lore as the High Elves? It's also called lore of high magic

15. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

It is the same: both WD and the GW website displays selected images of the Lizardmen battle cards, all of which contain the same spells. However, the attribute is different and is detailed at the beginning of this thread.

16. talocofxhotl
    Skink

talocofxhotl Member

On the monster upgrades, I had a look in the SoMagic book.

The carnosaur one that looks like "Bloodroar" could be the same as the SoM griffon where enemies roll extra1d6 for fear and terror and discard the lowest. same pts

It could also be "Bloodrage" which would give hatred and frenzy which would rock

for the others not sure but I imagine the carno leaping one gives charge dmg or initiative

for the steg I hope the charge one is +impact hits or impact rerolls and the horns give AP or wound rerolls

Is the carno pts in WD 120? massively excited if so!

17. Darius the Insane
    Skink

Darius the Insane New Member

OK so here's something. Any chance that our saurus will be able to take a magic banner, at present it is just TG and CoC but not saurus. EVEN SKELETONS CAN TAKE A MAGIC BANNER!!! Do you know how degrading that is, admittedly they don't have a wide variety but they at least have the option.

Anyone with a copy of the book care to let me know. Cheers

18. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Rumour summary from Warseer:

Slann: Disappointing to not have any kind of cast bonus, but High Magic is a solid lore and he's even a little tougher to kill (although a little more expensive). We got off fairly easy here. We still get some fluffy stuff (3x channel, soul of stone, HM lore attrib, etc) so we don't look too much like weaklings.

Bastiladon: Man, I thought (20% higher cost) was dreaming. That's amazing at (current cost). The solar beam ( :p ) is much better than expected, doing a # of hits rather than a template, as that is much, much better against the stuff we have trouble with (we already have Sallies, ffs.) The snake ark does some decent extra hits and a chance to reinforce Jungle Swarms -- have to play with this to be sure.

Sallies: Lose march and shoot was expected, it was broken. S4 instead of S3 -3 will be a tossup for many, but I consider it much better in 8th, as what I want to do is kill big blocks, and I'd rather have the more reliable wounds. Old version was better against cavalry, but we already don't have too much to fear from cavalry.

Razors: For those wondering, "grapeshot S4" is exactly the present Razordon rules. Reroll on S&S is much better due to the bonehead FAQ. Cheaper is interesting, too.

Trog: Don't get the hate -- it has ranged S5 18" with multiple wounds and a significant combat buff? Decent monster hunter, pretty strong buff to saurus/TG, amazing as fire support for CoC. Deserves some respect, I think. Not blown away, but definitely going to try it out.

Carnie: Same old same old. Will be dangerous in groups of 3. 50/50 on upgrades given cost.

Stegs: Devastating charge? Does that affect the models up top? Otherwise, uh, yay? d3 wounds on impact hits is pretty killer, though, and cost reduction is nice.

Engine: Ugh, that 5+ ward was our only hope against cannon, and it's a 6+ with half range now? Not happy.

CoC: What they did with the points here is weird. (Relatively high cost) for a spear? But with the extra attack on the Cold One and PF on both, they're probably playable at (total cost). Not seeing dropping the spear, no benefit.

Krox: We got our S5 back and cheaper. S7 hits and S5 stomps! Skrox much better as a result. Krox blocks a bit better too with the cost reduction, but I never field that way.

TG: Point reduction here offsets Slann increase, so I'm a fan. I didn't run lone slann or double slann too often, so net effect is nothing, which I like. Auto-pass LoS is huge, IMO, and necessary with loss of Becalming.

Jungle Swarms: I was saying "meh" at (new cost), but the everything in CC poisons is nice. I may actually field some. With the buff from the snake ark, could be amazing.

Skirmishers: Free javs, meh.

Cohorts: I like poison CC, and the drop for Krox will help pay for it in skrox blocks, but you're looking at maybe 6 attacks there, so is it worth (some) points? Hitting harder than wounding. Hordes where it would really shine is really hurt by Ld nerf, but maybe a (cheap) skink chief is an ok investment for a 210pt block of skinks. +6 scaly save for free is boss, though. Skrox definitely much better, cohorts by themselves -- I dunno.

Saurus: They've been solid, and PF is a nice bonus. No real comment. I wish they'd give them GW options, but that's because it would be OP *grin*

Overall: Weird new ways to do multiple wounds, more poison, more fleeing skinks, more attacks, less casting, more monsters, less defense vs. range, I dunno. Have to play some. We are, against all odds, more vulnerable to cannon, but have more dangerous targets, and generally grind better. Not sure -- have to play it out. That probably means the book is well-balanced.

I have some questions I'm going to put in a separate post.

19. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Doubtful. Nothing in the warrior book can either

20. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Slann is now "tougher to kill"? Could this mean he can't be challenged out of the TG block?

It looks like solar beam is the new organ gun! Heh. Also the Ark thing seems interesting.

S4 Salamanders sound pretty good at killing big blocks, I agree there are plenty of solutions for us to tackle high armor targets.

Will have to figure out how often that Troglodon can use his buff, with the changes to Saurus Cav that could get interesting.

Carnosaur hasn't changed much, but at least now I can run one with a scar vet if I really want to try it out.

Hearing that stegadons can get D3 wounding impact hits is pretty awesome, they will be great against ogres and monstrous cav.

EotG going to 6+ ward is pretty dumb, hopefully the Engine does something else or it won't see much play. I think it is looking more and more like the Lizardmen solution for warmachine troubles is going to be chameleon skinks and ripperdons/terradons with a big cast of Walk Between Worlds to try to silence them by turn 2.

CoC wow, so 4 attacks per model with PF on both? This is becoming a nice grindy unit that begs for Wyssan's Wildform!

Kroxigors - Wow, they just got really good. Combined with skinks getting poison attacks in close combat, I think Skrox might just become the only Core choice.

Temple Guard getting cheaper and giving the Slann auto-pass Look Out Sir is fine by me, it sounds like they really want you to run a TG block.

Jungle Swarms - When you say "everything in CC poisons," does that mean all hits auto-wound? That would be massive! Surely that's not true... Or does that mean if an enemy is in CC with a jungle swarm, all attacks made against that unit have the poison rule?

Skink cohorts with poison melee attacks? Sign me up! Also with kroxigors supporting with strength 7 now? Skrox will be a scary unit!

I'm liking what I see, the will of the old one shall be served!!