1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial The Old World Lizardmen Army PDF is out and free

Discussion in 'Lizardmen Discussion' started by discomute, Jan 22, 2024.

1. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

Good catch. I did NOT keep the shield. For some reason I thought it was either hand weapon + shield or spears. It also makes a BIG difference!
    • +03.01 - Saurus (2 additional ranks, Spawn Leader, Standard Bearer, Spears + Shields)

discomute likes this.
  2. RipperDerek
    Razordon

3. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

:confused:o_O

airjamy likes this.
  4. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

Yeah but it's simple ridicolous....

5. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

Random thought of the day - apotheosis on your Kroxigor Champion to give the unit terror?

6. Kretning
    Jungle Swarm

Kretning New Member

Unfortunately it can only target Characters

But you can cast it on any character (once if mounter or twice if not) and put them in a unit to give the whole unit Terror.

discomute likes this.
  7. Kretning
    Jungle Swarm

Kretning New Member

Hmm, I think I may have been interpreting that wrong. I was rereading and I had thought that a character under the effects of a magical spell would confer that spell to any unit they joined but I think that is only supposed to work if the spell wording specifically says 'target unit' or 'caster and any unit they have joined'.

The rule I was reading was;
    "Similarly, if a character is under the effect of a spell that is able to affect a unit, the unit joined becomes likewise affected."
    https://tow.whfb.app/characters/spells-characters

Initially I was thinking that there were spells that would not transfer because it would have been something like Transformation of Kadon from 8th. And additionally I was thinking that Apotheosis because of how it has unique wording was circumventing the normal rules. However, upon reviewing the spells more and seeing spells like Spectral Steed my guess is that unless it has the text in the spell I noted above then it would not affect the unit too.

It can still be good to buff your characters up to Terror causing as you will still force the test on a charge and the -1 LD on the break test can't hurt.

8. discomute
    Troglodon

Ah yep you're right. Yeah I don't think I'd ever take it over monsoon.

9. airjamy
    Salamander

airjamy Well-Known Member

Apotheosis seems very meh indeed. Monsoon looks good against shooty armies, I think dwarves for example will hate that spell.

10. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Apotheosis is decent at lower points level games, where you are more likely to have foot characters.

If stupidity wasn't so brutal, or cold blooded worked on it, it would be such a great power for cowboys

discomute likes this.
  11. Kretning
    Jungle Swarm

Kretning New Member

How did you determine which weapon was 'better' in each fight? Or maybe the better question is where did you data show that each was better?

12. discomute
    Troglodon

It's better for shooty armies but also good for non shooty ones. Putting it in front of a dragon might deprive it the ability to see and charge. Taking a wound off is always fun, but also great for premium units like knights.

I think it's better than any other signature spell by a fair margin.

My guess would be - are we striking first? It's true that we can't swap weapons after giving ground if they follow, or FBIGO (I'm pretty sure) Still, I think that it I charge and I know I'm striking first then I'm halberding. My advice for damage is lot like my advice for sex - take what you can, when you can, while you can.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  13. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

Buy a horned one

14. RipperDerek
    Razordon

I ran everything with hw + shields, then everything with halberds, and then made a separate entry that for each fight defaulted to whichever was higher.

15. Kretning
    Jungle Swarm

Kretning New Member

So then my follow up question is was there a pattern for when one was better than the other? Against a certain toughness or AP or anything that you could identify?

16. RipperDerek
    Razordon

I'm traveling now, but I'll be back home with access to my computer on Tuesday. I'll post a breakdown then!

discomute likes this.
  17. Herpin_Along
    Jungle Swarm

Herpin_Along New Member

I’ve seen this pop up on discord channels quite a bit from the more ‘rules-lawyery’ crowd - What’s everyone’s interpretation of the claim that saurus characters can’t take magic armour (except shields)?

18. RipperDerek
    Razordon

Everyone I've ever spoken to (even non-lizards) agrees that "counts as heavy armor" means it counts as heavy armor from a rules perspective, and therefore they can take magical armor.

I'm not actually sure what else "counts as heavy armor" could even mean, if not that it counts as heavy armor for rules purposes.

discomute likes this.
  19. Kretning
    Jungle Swarm

Kretning New Member

I will concur with that assessment. I am not sure if it was worded differently in the past but my memory was that any form of armor counted as all types. Shields were not something different.

Also something to note, if it is that specific then no one could wear the bedazzling helm as I don't think any characters have a specific option for helms.
    What about if you only have the option for light armor could you still buy a magical heavy armor?

Now I am curious if there is any other character that doesn't have an option for both.

discomute likes this.
  20. RipperDerek
    Razordon

To answer your question, the halberds did worse against almost everything, but did better against:
    • Monsters with AP -3
    • Units with S3 T3
    The halberds also did slightly better against some monstrous infantry, but the difference was very small. (Against Ogres was -0.097 vs +0.083) Hand weapons and shields did better against everything else, including monsters with AP -2, and units with T2 instead of 3.

Kalisto and discomute like this.