1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial The Old World Lizardmen Army PDF is out and free

Discussion in 'Lizardmen Discussion' started by discomute, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Well no one has characters outside the arcane journals, so this is to be expected.

Kroq-Gar is the biggest dissapoint in that regard to me, as his model is made from the same kit as the base carno.

Although it would have been really neat for there to be a relic slann option to cover Kroak.

But I do anticipate that all the legacy factions will return to the main game in the fullness of time. But that is likely 4 years down the road.

in the meantime, maybe some 3rd party player council can/will come up with some acceptable character rules for legacy Factions.

Like the idea Daemons are missing all their characters is kinda absurd as well. They are immortal beings and all have existing models.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  2. Blastoize
    Cold One

Blastoize Well-Known Member

Thinking about Stegadon limit - where do we read that when you take the Steg as a mount, is does not count towrds the 1-per-1000 limit? It is under the same item in the book (in the rare section), it only ads, that you can field it as a mount and it counts towards characters.
    Does it really mean we can take 1 in rare and other in characters, or is it only wishful thinking? It leaves me confused.
    It kinda grind my gears (the fact we are so limited and you need 2 EotG to get the buff and no ward save..)

3. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

Not wishful thinking, it's how I read it. Now it isn't as clear as I'd like but it says the 0-1 limit is in "Rare". At the bottom of page 13 it says if it's a mount it counts in your character points allotment. If the stegadon mount is part of your character points, why would the rare restrictions apply?

4. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

The thing I dislike the most is the fact that Steg is Ws2 when getting hit because of Skinks. Also it is not clear but the enemy attacking Bastiladon and Troglodon also compares to Ws of Skinks (unless I am mistaken, happy to be proven wrong). Split profiles are generally unfavourable for us because of Skinks weapon skill.

Ersh and Gothmog Lord of Balrogs like this.
  5. discomute
    Troglodon

Wow. This is an excellent take and one I had glossed over. Yes my first impression of the Troglodon was that it was amazing - then I backed to 'fine enough, but the worst of 4 options'. Now I might even downgrade again. Compared to Trogs, Stegadons have an extra toughness and 4+ AV instead of 5+. Bastiladons do have -W but are 3+ instead of 5+.

Of course point values for these are relevant, as is all the other rules. I think Carnos are #1 and I am starting to think that Stegadons are #2. Really hard for me to get a feel for how Troglodons are actually going to play.

6. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

The giant bow is our _only_ long rage artillery, but can't be taken outside the stegadon. And I do not remember using stegadons at all in competitive tournament lists (ETC for example). In ETC times elf/de players used 3-4 bolt throwers all the time. We just can't afford things like that.
    Skink skirmishers are our everything, but simply because other options are just worse.

Don't get me wrong - lizzies can shoot. But it's not our dominating phase of a game. We can't shoot like any elf armie or like dorf/elves war machines.
    Our dominant phase is magic, but it's just not very reliable due to game design.

discomute likes this.
  7. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

I wonder what you think about arcane vassal. Can Slann cast range "self" spells through a skink priest so that skink and his unit benefits from them?

The range self is described that it benefits the caster Wizard, but in this case is it the skink priest?

discomute likes this.
  8. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

Be happy that you are indeed wrong ;)

The reason the opponent attacks vs WS2 on the Stegadon is because of the Howdah rule, which is only for Behemoths. Trogs and Bastis are Monstrous Creatures, so they don't have it.

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Tricky, on one hand you get WS4 and Strength 6, on the other you lose an attack and a point of Initiative. Both variants can have the Giant Bow or Giant Blowpipes, so it may be just a case of experimenting with both and see which you have most luck with.

I also am not fond of the new Aggrodons, though I don't like them because they look so much more like generic Velociraptors taken straight from Jurassic World (also the reason why I'm not fond of the Dark Elf ones in the way pretty much everyone else is), compared to our old Cold Ones which looked pretty unique and fantastical as far as dinosaur-like reptiles go.

10. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

Hmmm OK, but is there any rule that says that enemy attacks against max Ws of a single model? One can argue that we still take riders ws since that's what happens with every other split profile

11. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Split Profile is only a feature of Cavalry, Chariots and Behemoths with the Howdah USR.

12. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

So... warmachine hunting.

- Skink Skirmishers with Blowpipes, Scout upgrade and Patrol Leader (unit of 10)
    - Chameleon Skinks with Patrol Leader (unit of 10)
    - Skink Chieftain on Terradon (with whatever upgrades to make him more killy)
    - Scar-Vet on Cold One (with Horned One upgrade + whatever)

Any thoughts on that? Somehow I don't like any of these options.

Are Scouts even viable for warmachine hunting, or are you already dependend on your opponent making a mistake during deployment?

Same with the Scar-Vet, a unit without fly won't work, right?

13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Certainly I'd go with something flying, either the Chief on Terradon or a small unit of Terradon Riders. Perhaps one of each to cover a flank.

One of our biggest issues as an army (and has been since previous Editions) is that we can't Ambush. Ambushers are what you need to deal with War Machines as they can pop up on your opponent's board edge or their side of either of the flank edges to close in on War Machine targets.

Small foot Skirmisher units and line characters could potentially sneak around other units, but it's so easy for your opponent to just block them or charge them with a unit. A Scar-Vet Oldblood Cowboy has the best chance of fighting his way past and has the smallest footprint, but it'll still take him a while to reach his target.

Flying units, on the other hand can easily zoom over the enemy and reach their target quickly, particularly Terradons who are one of the few flying units to retain a Fly move of 10" in TOW. Plus, they get all the benefits of being Skirmishers anyway.

Additionally, remember we have another counter for artillery (and other missile troops) in our arsenal in the form of the Monsoon spell from the Lore of Lustria, which we can always pick with our casters. Forcing War Machines to not shoot on the roll of a 1 can certainly reduce their effectiveness sufficiently long enough for Terradons to reach and deal with them.

Acehilator likes this.
  14. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

@Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl I was thinking about the same. Problem I see with the Scar-Vet/Skink Chief is that even with the Terradon, the Chief will only start killing Warmachines from T3 onwards, right? T1 stay with your main army to use character protection, T2 march 20" to get behind the enemy army (hopefully), T3 start profiting (maybe). If you go first, the whole thing might even delayed one additional turn. Is it even worth it at that point?

lol

15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Indeed that is true - you can use Drop Rocks to deal with a T4 artillery crew, but a Skink Chief on Terradon would only be able to drop D3 rock hits on his own, whereas you'd be able to deal 3 times that with a unit of 3 standard Terradons.

16. discomute
    Troglodon

Interesting, you make them sound like they're viable. Should I dare to dream?

A long charge range is a benefit and hinderince - longer area you might be impetuous.
    I have been thinking about apotheosis. I don't like it applies. Yeah it's in the cavalry section but still technically a behemoth.

Carnosaurs seem so good I'm wondering if competitive lists might try to field two of them...

17. discomute
    Troglodon

Thinking outside the box - Troglodon? Movement 7 isn't ideal but could that work?

At 200 points it's the price of 5 ripperdons. The priest can shoot magic missiles on the way in (or monsoon?) and there is a breath weapon, not to mention terror.

It's no carnosaur in combat but will smash any war machine. Best of all if it doesn't work out and you end up charging into a units flank instead... Happy days

Edit - for slightly less price you can take either an old blood on a horned one with shield and cav spear, or, two skink chiefs on terradons with shields and cav spears. Man I wish the trogs had swiftstride it would totally reinvent them. Desperate to find a place for my favourite model...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  18. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

Anyone else bothered by the fact that Slann cannot join any unit in the Lizardmen army? Range "Self" spells that affect units are thus much less relevant for us. Also assailment spells aren't that good because we don't want to fight with him anyway.

19. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

Actually, I think he can join Terradons and Rippers which is weird.

20. Ayei
    Skink

Ayei New Member

Just modified the pdf with rules used by Lizardmen:
    - Common special rules
    - Weapons rules
    - The Lores of Magic
    - Common magic items

Link to pdf

Tell me if something is wrong/missing