1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial The Old World Lizardmen Army PDF is out and free

Discussion in 'Lizardmen Discussion' started by discomute, Jan 22, 2024.

1. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

Huh?

2. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

Nevermind, in skirmishers rules it says that a character joining such a unit has to have the same sub-category of troop type.

3. discomute
    Troglodon

Is it just me or is carnosaur the only mount that doesn't improve your armour? No armoured hide at all.

4. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

Yep, no more armour for mount, only for armoured hide rule (no luck for carno).

But if i'm correct - as mount is now basically a buff of +1w +1t it gains bonuses from ward saves or anything that your character can gain.
    ...and that makes striking ghoul king on a terrorgheist (regen, vampiric, etc) really scary opponent.

5. Blastoize
    Cold One

Blastoize Well-Known Member

Isn't Steg counted as a chariot? In that case you would still have to chose rider's WS. I am confused .)

edit: ah, I got it now. It only affects the Stegadon as it is Behemoth with Howdah rule, which acts as a chariot (= using crew's WS). Bastiladon and Troglodon are Monstrous Creatures (which falls under monsters).
    It is not a ridden monster (by cahracter), but has a split profile - not sure it it obeys the "split profile" rules, which comes into affect with cavalry (not applicable) and ridden monsters (not aplicable) and chariots (not aplicable).
    So do I use the highest stat available as it used to be? (can't seem to find this mentioned in the rules now).

Maybe we are just the exception where rider's WS is worse than the mount's one so they haven't thought about that. Dunno.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  6. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

@Blastoize No it's not an exception (Arachnarok is the same, and Lizardmen + Orcs&Goblins are the only armies I read the rules for). Honestly, not sure what's so complicated about it. You are not using split profiles until a rule tells you to do it, and then you do it. It's not rocket science :p

7. discomute
    Troglodon

I admit the responses here got me quite confused until I realised something obvious.

Does it have a toughness and wounds? No? Well you can't target it...

8. Blastoize
    Cold One

Blastoize Well-Known Member

There's no need to be snide.
    Obviously I had problem understanding it as I tried to describe (going through monster, howda, chariot, ridden monsters and split profile rules), otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

airjamy and discomute like this.
  9. discomute
    Troglodon

Any fun magic item combos?

For a old blood & carno I liked the talisman of protection, armour of silvered steel and a two handed weapon. T6, w7, 3+ AC, 5+ ward hitting back on a st7 for 74 points. My only issue with that is the lack of AP. Is that better than T6, w7, 4+ AC, 5 ward hitting back for st5 ap-1 for 32 points?

Sword of swiftness and biting blade seem good for their points. Not a lot of good armour, bedazzling helm seems the best. Armour of destiny seems a bit expensive given the talisman of protection.

I can't decide if the glyph necklace is worth the extra points over talisman of protection -2 magic resistance for 15 points

Bedazzling helm has an interesting combo with aura of quetzal. It's your full 100 but -2 to hit in combat is crazy. It would be amazing on a cold one with the big issue being you then can't afford a horned one.

In terms of Slann, still thinking it over, cupped hands seems nice.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  10. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

These are all good combos. What do you mean by two handed weapon though? If great weapon then it is S+2 AP -2 and armour bane(1), so you do have some AP.

11. discomute
    Troglodon

Yep I am stuck on 5th, also - not up to the weapon part of the rule book yet! So silly mistake by me, but that's awesome news, yes I really like that combo

12. discomute
    Troglodon

So how important do we think that having a magic weapon will be? I haven't read all the army books yet. Clearly very important for daemons, if you had an old blood on a carno having a magic weapon would be a must. Against another lizardmen army it wouldn't matter. I suppose fairly army dependant?

13. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

I'm thinking about oldblood mounted on a cold one with blade of revered tzunki, talisman of protection and shield. He has 3+ save, 5+ ward, and 5 attacks (6 on charge) which ignore armour and ward saves. Seems pretty strong.

discomute likes this.
  14. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

Depends on the viability of Ethereal units.

15. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

So page 340 of the rulebook says "Only a model that is equipped with (or that has the option to
    be equipped with) armour, a shield or barding may purchase
    a magical equivalent".
    Correct me if I'm wrong but given that Saurus characters lack the option to equip mundane armour, doesn't that technically limit them to magic shields, The Bedazzling Helm and Hide of the Cold Ones?

Blastoize likes this.
  16. discomute
    Troglodon

Excellent question but I *think* you're wrong

Scaly skin is technically "equipment" and it says "counts as heavy armour" so I do think we are equipped with heavy armour.

Edit - have thrown it open to a few old world groups. I'm wondering if my greenscale bias is coming through

Edit 2 - so far non-lizardmen players are 7-0 that you can take magic armour. It's equipment & for the purposes of the rules it counts as heavy armour.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    Blastoize likes this.
  17. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

Is there something I am missing or Salamanders and especially Razordons are now very mediocre? According to the FAQ breath weapons cannot be used after marching, so Sallies have a very limited threat range. Meanwhile Razordons have only d3 shots each hitting probably on 5s (-1 long range, -1 multiple shots).

airjamy likes this.
  18. hardyworld
    Kroxigor

hardyworld Active Member

So...that huge nerf to Cold Blooded in The Old World...and the only unit with an added Ld value is Chameleon Skinks. How are y'all taking that?

Break tests without benefitting from the old Cold Blooded rule really hurts our accustomed staying power. Skink cloud seems a lot less viable since rallying those strategic flee reactions will be a lot less common.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
  19. airjamy
    Salamander

airjamy Well-Known Member

Definitely true! They sure look bad is my only real take. Maybe not as bad as cold ones, but still not good.

Regarding ld, we are a lot less brave, that is for sure

20. discomute
    Troglodon

I don't yet have a comment about the fairness/meta applications of losing cold blooded on (edit) break but I do dislike the lore of losing it. We are an old race very happy to give our lives in service of the old ones. No one is unbreakable but I felt it really fit our theme. Equally, only on lore, I never liked cold blooded applying to stupidity

Last edited: Jan 28, 2024