1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Random Thread of Random Randomness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Feb 10, 2019.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Man, I SO hope that they don't ruin it.
    But I know that's a hard task so I don't dare to be optimistic. I will give it a fair chance though.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Yet another serie of books I still want to read, so little time....

Grrr, Imrahil

5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

A friend of mine has done some research on it (he's just as into the series as I am) and he says that both Robert Jordan's wife and Brandon Sanderson have been on set to ensure it is a loyal to the books as possible.

So I have some hope. Will definitely try it for sure.

Aginor likes this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Well, now we know where they dispose of obsolete pope-mobiles.

13. Imrahil
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  14. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

If you are a hardcore fan, I believe it is impossible to be pleased by a live action reimagining of your favorite book just because something has to be changed to move from medium to another.

I am a casual fan of Watchmen. I understand that the HBO television series is a woke farce of the IP, but I thought the live action movie was a reasonable adaptation of the graphic novel which very closely hewed to the source material, but all the hardcore Watchmen fans I met online or in person seemed to hate the movie.

I don't personally see what is wrong with it. Even the stuff the movie did not have time to cover, they planted Easter eggs for. But the old school fans still disliked it.

Alita Battle Angel, most of the movie fans were not familiar with the manga or anime until after seeing the live action movie but as far as I can tell, that is the only live action remake of an anime by a Western studio that kept the spirit of the original. I believe the original fan base was quite small, but I believe most of the old school fans were disappointed with the movie because the romantic subplot was "wrong."

I'm hard pressed to think of any franchise whose movies are as well received by the book fans as well as LOTR and even that has some fan arguments. The Hobbit was published in 1937. Most current fans are second or third generation fans, not original fans. Tolkien's work is about as old as you can get without being public domain. I really wish we would loosen public domain law but that's a separate can of worms.

I'm going to try to read Wheel of Time before I watch any adaptation of it. But I have a long backlog of reading to get to.

Back to the randomness.

The comment section on this video is even better than the video itself. I especially like the comment suggesting that groundskeeper Willie would be voiced by Larry the Cable Guy.

15. Aginor
    Slann

I just read about the WoT series and took a quick look at the trailer (will watch it at home when I have some time) and my anxiety/excitement instantly doubled.
    Seeing some great and some not so great stuff there.

And I assume the usual suspects will come around and call the show "woke" and all that kind of stuff. I wonder how many of those have actually read and understood the books...

Anyway. I think we need a thread for this to discuss. You agree @Lizards of Renown ?
    Let's see who else has read that series and will watch the show.

My prediction as of now: it will terribly flop. Like Shannara Chronicles or something, because the book people (like me) will hate how much is missing, and other people want to see something like GoT which WoT mostly isn't.

Anyway, I'll make a thread (if there isn't an old one, I'll search first since I vaguely remember one) and post a few things there.

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  16. Imrahil
    Slann

Well I have read the Shannara chronicles but only briefly saw something of one episode. Not worth to watch you say?
    Perhaps for the WoT it is better to watch the show first and then read the books, so I can't be disappointed whilst watching the show?

Grrr, Imrahil

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  17. Aginor
    Slann

I actually kinda liked the Shannara show!
    IMO it wasn't great but OK.

But I have not read the books (even though I own them, just never got to it). Most people who did read them hate the show it seems.

As for WoT:
    Hard to tell. For "The Expanse" the show and the books are almost equivalently great, and neither one kills the enjoyment of the other.

Might be the same here. I really cannot say.
    I am biased toward reading though, even if Jordan's style is not for everyone.
    If you go past book 3 before November the show will most likely not spoil you.
    Except if they include some prequel stuff in it (there was a prequel novel after book 8 I think) but even then you should be safe, nothing major IIRC.

Imrahil likes this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

19. Aginor
    Slann

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  20. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

In my opinion people just need to approach new versions of existing IP in new medium like what they are, new tellings of the same story, not a new setting of the exact same story. Sci-Fi and fantasy are a lot like myths and legends, the details can change, but the heart of the story can remain the same.

I'm not saying just except each new version, because bad retelling can definitely exist. Just don't get hung up on what has changed or is missing. Examine each version for what it is, and not what isn't.

Aginor likes this.