1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Middle-Earth SBG Thread

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Feb 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

That would honestly have been so much better - GW could have finally replaced those horrendously expensive Forge World Iron Hills Dwarves with some plastic ones released first through this box and then later on their own. It's a pity the models for old Dain and Thorin III were Forge World, because they could also have been saved to be released in plastic in the boxed game.

We could have got:
    Dain Ironfoot and Thorin III in plastic
    24 new plastic Iron Hills Dwarf Warriors (especially if they had customisable Spear, Mattock or Crossbow options)
    6 new plastic Iron Hills Goat Riders, or a plastic version of either the Iron Hills Chariot or Ballista

vs

The Dragon-Emperor of Rhun (if he had been made in plastic)
    12 Easterlings
    12 of the new Black Dragons or Dragon Cult Acolytes (if they had been in plastic)
    6 Kataphrakts

Something like that would honestly have looked great, I would have considered buying that, but instead they want everyone to buy into the human factions and consign all of the actual fantasy races to Forge World :mad:

Imrahil likes this.
  2. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Looking for a new project?

The wargames Atlantic late Roman legionaries boxed set, with the addition of a head from the wargames Atlantic goblins set, make convincing orcs.

Both sets used in this conversion are available in my wargames Atlantic section, with individual sprues also available separately.

PXL_20220825_062811759~2.jpg

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

A nice idea, though GW already have good-value plastic Mordor and Morannon Orc boxes for standard Middle-Earth Orcs, so there's not much reason why an Evil player would want to go a different route, unless for some strange reason they really didn't like the way the Orcs looked in the PJ films and prefer the Angus McBride illustrations upon which the WA Goblins are based.

Lord-Marcus likes this.
  4. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Apparently what an AI program made from the term "Gondolin".

I fucking love it.

FB_IMG_1662268102702.jpg

Also a client sent in this shot of some elves he bought from me.

20220819_132212.jpg

5. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

PXL_20220927_073600116~2.jpg So, these are the wargames Atlantic Romans. But I keep thinking that, with an appropriate color scheme and white tree, they could masquerade as Gondorians

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

If you're not specifically interested in replicating Gondor from the films and just want a representative of Gondorian troops from the books, then possibly.

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Remember my guides to converting Middle Earth models that are otherwise overly-expensive and lacking in poseability if one goes via the 'official' route? Well @ChapterAquila92 has given me a lead into making some of my ideas much easier to facilitiate.

Unreleased Miniatures has been making all sorts of metal and resin models and bits for Middle-Earth-themed races and factions. Though their unit packs of three figures are still a bit too expensive to be practical for forming Warbands, their individual character figures are a lot more affordable than GW ones, plus the jewel in the crown is the range of shields and heads they make for converting Middle-Earth models.

For instance, my idea of using Galadhrim Elf Warriors as Elves of Rivendell:
    Is now much easier to achieve with the packs of Rivendell Elf heads and shields they offer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not to mention that the icing on the cake is that the Galadhrim Elves are a bit more multipart than most of the Middle-Earth plastics, with both their heads and shields being separate from the bodies:
    [​IMG]

Imrahil likes this.
  8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

And similarly, my idea of using Fireforge's Stone Realm Dwarves as Iron Hills Dwarves:
    Can be made all the more a reality by swapping the Fireforge rectangular shields that come with the Stone Realm kits for these metal Iron Hills-style ones:
    [​IMG]
    Plus offering a pack of two Goats:
    [​IMG]
    So that if the Fireforge Rambukk Raider riders fit, these can be used to make Goat Riders while the Fireforge Rams can be saved to serve as the steeds for a chariot proxy if you can find one.

9. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

That should work, given the size of the rams.

The last alliance heads and shields are nothing new. Mainly, When I was still taking 3D printing orders last year before I paused: I got a lot of requests for medbury miniatures Shields and heads.