TOP TEN Lists - This Week: Movie and TV Show Directors

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Sep 5, 2022.

1. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

A bit late but in Duels....
    the six minute alley fight scene with rowdy Roddy Piper in John Carpenters 1988 film "They Live"

Just A Skink and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

You made a request... I delivered. No comment on it? :oops:

Imrahil likes this.
  3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

A good list.

You pick a couple of battles i choosed as well, no surprise here.
    You also include some of the ones i was tempted to list... namely the battle on Hot and the Colosseum battle.
    The LOTR battles are a good pick... i like many aspects of them, but i'm not too much fond of some other ones.
    Regarding Troy, i would have listed the duel vs Hector, but to each his own.
    I kinda disagree on Rocky vs Drago but that's me... IIRC Rocky played it dumb. Rocky in the previous movie showed a growing skill, he was no longer acting as punching ball and then counterattack, he knew how to protect himself, while in this match was again mr. punching ball.

Just A Skink and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That Boagrius vs Achilles scene has always stuck with me. It's simply so epic and iconic. Additionally, the scene sets the stage for the entire movie:
    • demonstrates that Achilles has achieved legendary status among the soldiers
    • demonstrates that Achilles is an unmatched warrior
    • introduces the strained relationship dynamic between Achilles and Agamemnon
    • introduces Achilles' trademark move
    • introduces Achilles' primary motivation (the drive to be remembered in history)
    It does all this in only a few minutes of screen time and by showing (not telling) it to the audience.

Plus, it's just badass. A single perfect blow to fell the opposition's greatest warrior and then staring down the rest and asking "Is there no one else?". I'm not even a huge fan of the movie Troy as a whole, but that is one of the best movie openings that I've ever seen.

Your points are all accurate and valid. The fight is not realistic. The fight is not consistent with Rocky's skill progression throughout the series. I cannot, and would not, argue against any of all that.

This fight has three things going for it for me:
    1. nostalgia
    2. it's simply fun and entertaining
    3. the musical backdrop is perfect
    It's one of those scenes were I just turn off my brain and simply enjoy the spectacle.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

In honour of our Avatar: The Last Airbender poll, I present to you:

Topic #14 - Top Ten Favourite Avatar The Last Airbender Characters

Feel free to include animals in your list if you wish.

I know @Imrahil @Just A Skink and @Scalenex watch the show. @Killer Angel has some familiarity with it, so maybe share with us your favourite characters so far! @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl did not take part in our Avatar poll, so I'm assuming he hasn't watched the show (or doesn't like it)... but if I am wrong, join the fun. Anyone else reading this... share your list!

This time around I will start us off:

1. Uncle Iroh
    2. Toph
    3. Azula
    4. Aang
    5. Zuko
    6. Sokka
    7. Appa
    8. Fire Lord Ozai
    9. King Bumi
    10. Ty Lee

Honourable mentions: Momo, Master Piandao, Katara, Avatar Roku

Iroh is my undisputed first choice and Toph has a firm hold on second place. They are far and away my favourite characters. Azula, Aang and Zuko are all really close to one another in my rankings. While Zuko has the best character arc in the entire show and Aang is a fantastic primary protagonist, I just like Azula just a little bit more. They have traded positions in the past though.

So many great characters though!

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Alack, I'm afraid I've never seen it, and nor am I interested in it. Japanese (or Japanese-style) animation is just not my cup of tea, same as the vast majority of Marvel stuff and US comedies.

Different strokes for different folks as they say ;)

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  7. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

So you don't watch any animation these days (or since you were a kid)?

By the way, you're still a kid as far as this old-timer is concerned. Ha ha ha.

8. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Top 10 Avatar The Last Airbender Characters*

1. Uncle Iroh (Very much the "Yoda" of the show, but not for the main hero.)
    2. Zuko (A great character arc)
    3. Aang (A classic main hero with an exciting and fun character progression.)
    4. Sokka (Keeps you laughing every episode. Nice development as a strategist and fighter.)
    5. Azula (A cunning psychopathic villain who poses a more persistent threat than Fire Lord.)
    6. Appa (Kind of Chewbacca and the Millennium Falcon rolled into one. Such an loyal and endearing companion.)
    7. Katara (Solid character and power growth with a great finale battle. She feels a little one-note at times, but she has some interesting tangent stories.)
    8. Toph (Such a cool, and well animated, intro episode. A tough and talented character. Maybe not as much character growth, but she softens a little.)
    9. Fire Lord Ozai (He's not really "active" until later in the show, but is a looming menace. The bits you do see prove that he's a bastard.)
    10. Jet (A cool side character with a compelling, if a bit twisted, motivation. He does have an impact on Team Avatar both early and later in the show.)

Honorable mentions: Combustion Man, Avatar Roku, Momo, Ty Lee, King Bumi, Master Piandao, Long Feng, Monk Gyatso

I'm not sure about Jet, but I do like the character. Maybe Roku or Combustion Man could have made the last slot.

*Coincidentally, I am currently re-watching the show again. So good.

NIGHTBRINGER and Imrahil like this.
  9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

My preferred animation viewing is more old Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Hanna Barbera, Disney and Tex Avery cartoons, plus some Disney, Pixar and particularly DreamWorks films (you seem to forget that Kung Fu Panda and to a lesser extent Shrek have been seen in my Top 10 lists).

Imrahil and Just A Skink like this.
  10. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Kung-Fu Panda and Shrek (as well as some of the Disney/Pixar movies). Of course! I did forget those. I was thinking more animated shows/series, but that's not a big deal. Your pardon, sir.

If I may, I find it interesting and fun that you enjoy old Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, and Tex Avery cartoons, only because I think of those as big piece of animated Americana. I know you're a born and bred Brit. I'm glad that most of the humor, silliness and references are well received.

11. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

1-Iroh
    2-Toph
    3-Zuko
    4-Azula
    5-Aang
    6-Sokka
    7-Katara
    8-Bumi
    9-the Cabbage merchant
    10-Mai
    11-Ty Lee
    12-Ozai
    13-Huu
    14-Piandao
    15-Suki

12. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Yes! :D

Scalenex likes this.
  13. Scalenex
    Slann

upload_2023-9-1_5-7-14.jpeg
    [​IMG]

I think the secret to how he travels so well is obvious.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload_2023-9-1_5-3-57.jpeg
    upload_2023-9-1_5-4-36.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Considering that it is my very favourite show of all time (not just among animated shows, but tv shows in general) you'd probably hate it! :p We are perpetual opposites.

It's rare to see Toph so "low" on a list. Solid justifications for your picks!

Jet is one of the few characters that I didn't really like, but I know many people who loved him.

Enjoy the re-watch! @Mrs. NIGHTBRINGER and I are due for a re-watching of the series ourselves.

Our top six are nearly identical!

NICE! :cool:

15. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

I'm definitely enjoying the re-watch! I'm kind of surprised this show didn't generate more Harry Potter-level hysteria.

Looking back at my list, think I would swap Toph and Katara. I don't know, I do like Toph's character a lot, but there are just others I like more when I think about them. It's probably a little silly to have Appa so high, but he's just so loyal and endearing and I love that big sky bison. His solo episode tugs the heartstrings AND moves the story forward.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Appa is only one spot higher on your list than on mine. He is a lovable character and is involved in some of the most emotional moments in the show.

Just A Skink likes this.
  17. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Oh, to Jet making the list. Maybe it's because I recently watched his episode? But I do like the character. I enjoy his roguish Robin Hood inspiration and he has a cool "realistic" martial arts fighting style with the hook swords. But it was Jet's episodes that let me know this was a different show. Despite being an animated show on Nickelodeon, in Jet's first appearance he is willing to destroy a whole town (innocents included) to stop some Fire Nation soldiers. In his next episode a reformed Jet sacrifices himself to help Aang and stop Long Feng. His departure was moving. Maybe I'm just influenced by the whole Ba Sing Se arc. It was slower, but definitely delivered in the finale.

To be fair, several characters could have made that spot. I like Combustion Man just because he's a definite menace to the team (and he has a really cool Firebending power). I think Roku's backstory really adds to his appeal for me.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  18. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Updated AtLA List

1. Uncle Iroh
    2. Zuko
    3. Aang
    4. Sokka
    5. Azula
    6. Toph
    7. Katara
    8. Appa
    9. Fire Lord Ozai
    10. TBD

In re-watching the series, I'm in Season 2 (Book of Earth). I had almost forgotten how great Toph's intro was! Plus, I recently watched the episode where Azula and gang are tracking Team Avatar. At the end of the episode, Team Avatar, Zuko and Iroh (sort of) team to fight Azula. Such a great scene! In the following episode Iroh gives his oft quoted speech about the four nations while teaching Zuko lightning redirection. AtLA at some of it's best! It's a damned shame that Mako passed before he finished voicing Uncle Iroh (as well as Aku).

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  19. Scalenex
    Slann

[​IMG]

Just A Skink and Imrahil like this.
  20. Scalenex
    Slann

This was made by amateurs on a shoestring budget. It is freaking amazing.

Just A Skink and Imrahil like this.