1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Tournament TL

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by LordRibbit, Sep 2, 2021.

1. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

Had a practice match for an upcoming tournament last night vs BCR and it was over in 2 turns with this list, having the engine as a priest now really does make it a better choice than Chief on Steg IMO and the one drop battalion gives you a lot of flexibility

Allegiance: Seraphon - Constellation: Thunder Lizard - Grand Strategy: Beast Master - Triumphs: Inspired

LEADERS
    Engine of the Gods (265)* - General - Command Trait: Prime Warbeast - Artefact: Fusil of Conflaguration Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal
    Slann Starmaster (265)* - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    Skink Priest (80)* - Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal

UNITS
    2 x Salamander Hunting Pack (240)*
    2 x Salamander Hunting Pack (240)*
    10 x Skinks (75)* - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers

BEHEMOTHS
    Bastiladon with Solar Engine (235)*
    Stegadon (265)* - Weapon: Skystreak Bow - Seraphon Battleline (Constellation: Thunder Lizard)
    Stegadon (265)* - Weapon: Skystreak Bow - Seraphon Battleline (Constellation: Thunder Lizard)

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS Emerald Lifeswarm (60)
    CORE BATTALIONS *Battle Regiment
    TOTAL: 1990/2000
    WOUNDS: 87 LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 4/4 ARTILLERY: 1/4 ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 1/3 ALLIES: 0/400 REINFORCED UNITS: 2/4

MackiMac and StegaChad like this.
  2. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

Any consideration for Curse on the eotg since we have a frontline priest option now? You have a foot priest with Heal, lifeswarm, the engine can aim for heal by rolling 2d6 if needed, slann can swap for celestial apotheosis in matchups where tempest is bad, etc. Might be nice to have the option of Curse available

Dread Saurian likes this.
  3. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

curse is too finicky imho being able to heal himself is probably the idea hes going for.

4. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

I prefer to have the 2nd heal in as the priest is squishy and the army is built around healing. The issue with curse is that you really need to 1. get close enough which my Engine won't generally do and 2. you need to throw a lot of dice at it to be effective which my list doesn't really have. If I was running a block of 30 skinks then definitely

2Hands and Tyranitar like this.
  5. King Gizz
    Jungle Swarm

King Gizz New Member

My friend and I are new to AoS and are finally having our first game on Sunday, and I've been struggling to build a Thunder Lizard list to go against his Kharadron Overlords. I really like the looks of this list, but I'm curious about a few things and how it all functions in a game.
    1.) How does the Slann fare with no Saurus Guard?
    2.) What led to your decision to do 2x2 Salamanders instead of 4x1?
    3.) Did you only have enough points to fit 10 Skinks in or was this a conscious decision? Part of me thinks I would want to have more for screens and holding objectives.

6. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

1 it really isn't worthwhile to not run the slann with saurus guard. 10 wounds is 10 wounds.
    2. 2x2 is for positioning as theyare fantastic shooting beasts.
    3. They're most likely extra bodies to throw away at gods to hold him for 1 turn or just to snag objectives

7. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

1. I've not had any issues so far with no guard, the slann sits in the realmshaper and with the unit of skinks nearby is -2 to hit with a 3+ save so people generally don't bother as the salamanders and stegadons require the attention.

2. easier to buff and need them that way to get my one drop battalion in.

3. I actually had 3 x 10 skinks in my original list but they were just getting taken off really easily and quickly so I invested the points in monsters instead! Really need to lean into monsters this edition I feel as battle tactics are key and monsters give extra vps

8. King Gizz
    Jungle Swarm

King Gizz New Member

Thanks for breaking that down! I didn’t see the RSE in the list, but that makes a lot more sense now. I do have a few more questions about how this list plays on the table, so forgive my amateur experience/knowledge.

1.) How would deployment, on average, look like? Would you put both units of salamanders in reserve to protect them from getting blown off the table turn 1 (assuming he goes first), or is that something better suited for Dracothian’s Tail?

2.) I never feel very confident in my choices for board position during the movement phase because of my lack or experience. Should the EOTG stay nearby with the Slann for him to channel through, or should it be running up the table with our other monsters, fighting for objectives?

3.) My friend has bought into everything for KO, so I can expect any type of list, with any of the units. Threat assessment is another thing I need to work on, but if I were to look at the KO roster, I feel the biggest threats are:
    Ironclad
    Endrinriggers
    Skywardens
    Khemist

I think, like Seraphon, that their heroes are important to their success, but I don’t like the look of those boats. Who should be the priority targets, and which of our units should be fighting who?

It’s a bit daunting to go from an AdMech Kill Team to 500pts, and then deep diving into 2k points worth of Seraphon, but thanks, everyone, for their input!

9. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

1. It really all depends on the mission to be honest, though in Thuderlizard nothing can start off the board other than chameleon skinks if you have them. Salamanders I tend to set up in cover and use the bastiladon and stegs almost as screens. The slinks tend to start by the realmshaper with the slann in to give him look out sir to make him -2 to hit. Also, fitting it all the the one drop battalion gives me a good chance of deciding who goes first.

2. I would say this will come down to practice and understanding how the game plays, talking the game through afterwards with your opponent is a good way of getting insights and also understanding what your opponent's army can do will help.

3. If you can go first then board control will be a big factor to stopping him from being in range of the stuff you want to keep alive so if you space units out you can deny them up to 18 inches if they can redeploy or teleport

The best advice I can give you is practice a lot and focus on the mission rather then trying to kill all his army.

10. ProfessorSkink
    Skink

ProfessorSkink New Member

I want to add I ran a list that had no guard and the slann in the realmshaper with look out sir but the 24" snake lady bows from daughters killed him in a single turn. I always try to include saurus guard in any list with a slann because that's at least 10 wounds to buffer before they can hurt the slann. If you make him your general and he's your only magic source armies with that kind of shooting will take advantage

LordRibbit likes this.
  11. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

I have a 2 day event this weekend so guess I will find out, my list is a one drop so I am hoping that if I do come across lists like that I can take most of the shooting out before they get a chance

12. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Oooo, which event? US based?

13. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

Just a local 40 player one in the west midlands, uk

Putzfrau likes this.
  14. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member