1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Trying to build a tournament winning list post March updates

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Derekj487, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Derekj487
    Skink

Derekj487 New Member

Hello all. As the title of the topic says, I’m looking to build a list that will help me finally take seraphon to a tournament win. I have an RTT next weekend and I’m struggling to find that 3-0 list with my seraphon.

i basically have everything in the seraphon line excluding some saurus heros, an engine of the gods, any of the terradon/ripperdactyl units, and a skink Oracle on troglodon.

I have recently had some success with a thunderlizards list utilizing kroak but I don’t think it has what it takes to win a tournament the two games I used this list against was a lumineth list which resulted in a loss by 1 point and a legion of the first prince list that resulted in the legion player calling it top of turn 4 due to basically everything useful in that army being dead at that point.
    List is this

Army Faction: Seraphon
    - Army Type: Coalesced
    - Army Subfaction: Thunder Lizard
    - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
    - Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

Lord Kroak (430)*
    - General
    - Spells: Stellar Tempest

Saurus Astrolith Bearer (150)*
    - Artefacts: Fusil of Conflagration

Skink Starpriest (130)*
    - Spells: Hand of Glory

BATTLELINE

Stegadon (265)*
    - Skystreak Bow

Stegadon (265)*
    - Skystreak Bow

Stegadon (265)*
    - Skystreak Bow

Saurus Guard (115)*

BEHEMOTH

Bastiladon with Solar Engine (250)*

ENDLESS SPELL

Soulsnare Shackles (65)

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: (1935/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Any tips or advice on how to refine this list to take it to the next level would be greatly appreciated, as I’m tired of being beaten by armies like dragon spam stormcast and lumineth.

Bowser likes this.
  2. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Lambs and Lions Well-Known Member

I know you say you don't have an engine of the gods but you could take a stegadon and put a priest on top and say it's a engine. I think an engine would really help this list is with healing, adding bodies and dealing mortals.

The star priest really isn't adding much to the list, maybe switch him out for a priest.

Soul shackles have not been too impressive to me. If they work for you great. Emerald life swarm is another option for healing back you big dinos and dead guard.

Bowser likes this.
  3. Derekj487
    Skink

Derekj487 New Member

The starpriest is there purely for the casting through him ability the reroll ones spell and the extra mortal on 6’s to wound. I dropped the shackles for a spell portal and the emerald life swarm. I played against new fyreslayers today, and I took the win in power in numbers. I’m dropping the spell portal and playing for the triumph.

Bowser likes this.
  4. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

I like your list! I'm a big proponent of "it's the player not the list" but if you're specifically struggling with stormcast and lumineth i can see why. Your list is super light on bodies and relies super heavily on Scaly Skin to be able to keep your monsters alive. Stormdrakes and Lumineth do so many mortal wounds it cuts through that really fast. You also rely on Kroak to push through the mortal wounds the rest of your army doesnt do and drakes ignore half his damage and lumineth again have a ton of powerful dispells to try and mitigate it. Having no real screens also means armies like stormdrakes that can alpha you are slamming into your juicy stegs with no real buffer. You're probably losing 1 or 2 stegs before you even get to play.

Ultimately the solution is moving towards a more skink heavy thunder lizard list. Gavin's list he took to the Austin GT last year or Zach's list he just won the Dallas Lone Star GT are both examples of lists that leverage the power of skinks and starpriest mortal wounds to overcome those matchups. Also you need a skink priest. Its borderline the best hero in the game and is pretty much required for double tapping the basti at 3+ hit.

Don't get me wrong, you can definitely beat those lists with your current one with a lot of practice and some decent luck, but its going to be an uphill battle.

i'd probably replace the shackles, Astrolith, and one of your stegs with 30 skinks, a priest, and either 2 units of 10 skinks or another unit of 20. Minimum i'd drop the astrolith for two 10 man skink screen units.

Bowser likes this.
  5. Derekj487
    Skink

Derekj487 New Member

I appreciate the feedback. Lumineth aren’t decimating me per say. We have a tight game and I found kroak sitting with a +4 to cast and a +4 to unbind between the asterisms and the astrolith and his inate bonus to cast has helped me basically ignore lumineths ability to do much of anything regarding spells that would hurt me. And with this current list I haven’t played against dragons yet but I do see your point, the trick for me is I can outdrop him currently as I’m sitting in a battle regiment. The dragon player in my local community plays 10 dragons and the last time we played a seraphon vs dragon game it was tight, he only beat me by a few points, since that March update and them giving up extra points when they die I think I can maybe pull off a win. It’ll take more luck this time around since I’m not loading up on monsters like the last time we played.

- Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

Lord Kroak (430)*
    - General
    - Spells: Stellar Tempest

Saurus Astrolith Bearer (150)*

Skink Starpriest (130)*

BATTLELINE

Stegadon (265)*
    - Skystreak Bow

Stegadon (265)*
    - Skystreak Bow

Saurus Guard (115)*

Stegadon (265)*
    - Skystreak Bow

BEHEMOTH

ENDLESS SPELL

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: (1930/2000)

this is what I’ve played for 3 games and I’ve pulled off 2 wins and a 1 point loss, the two wins were into legion of the first prince and new fyreslayers and the loss was into a lumineth list that had the mission not been a hero scoring mission I would’ve most likely won. Definitely need to practice with skink heavy lists as they have been a part of the book I’ve largely ignored in favor of monster mash.

Bowser likes this.
  6. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Astrolith doesn't benefit unbinding just FYI.

Bowser likes this.
  7. Derekj487
    Skink

Derekj487 New Member

You are right but getting a +3 to unbind is still solid.

Putzfrau and Bowser like this.
  8. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

More than solid! Good luck at your tournament.

Bowser likes this.
  9. Derekj487
    Skink

Derekj487 New Member

After this tournament I am going to try and work with a skink heavy thunderlizards list. So far I have 100 skinks built but only 40 are painted. Trying to avoid spamming salamanders and bastiladons because of the prime target update, if my opponents want to beat me they have to do it the old way not win because of some extra points

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

A single bastiladon with thunderlizard is still amply worth the minimal risk involved with the target thing.
    Just beware of MWs.

11. Derekj487
    Skink

Derekj487 New Member

It is since it’s a very rare occurrence that it actually dies.
    I have told everyone I play against how you actually kill the bastiladon and it’s just by tossing 3-5 mortal wounds at it and then doing the normal thing of do volume of attacks from that point, none of them seem to believe me though.

- Grand Strategy: Beast Master

LEADER

Skink Priest (80)
    - Prayers: Guidance

Stegadon with Skink Chief (305)
    - General
    - Command Traits: Prime Warbeast
    - Skystreak Bow

BATTLELINE

Stegadon (265)
    - Skystreak Bow

Stegadon (265)
    - Skystreak Bow

Stegadon (265)
    - Skystreak Bow

Stegadon (265)
    - Skystreak Bow

Stegadon (265)
    - Skystreak Bow

BEHEMOTH

Bastiladon with Solar Engine (250)

TERRAIN

Realmshaper Engine (0)

TOTAL POINTS: (1960/2000)

this is another one I’ve considered since it has the output to delete a lot of armies off the table, only one that messes me up is dragons, and lumineth but I know it has the power to push through both armies just takes probably a better player than me.

the one player who uses 10 dragons in our meta has been trying to goad me into playing my previous list which was essentially the one I have posted now but with 2 less stegadons and 2 more bastiladons, I don’t think it’s worth the risk to potentially give up 6-9 points a game but I could be wrong.

Bowser likes this.
  12. Derekj487
    Skink

Derekj487 New Member

LEADER

Skink Priest (80)*
    - Prayers: Heal

Skink Starpriest (130)*

Lord Kroak (430)*
    - General

BATTLELINE

1 x Skinks (150)*
    - Boltspitter, Celestite Dagger and Star-buckler

1 x Skinks (150)*
    - Boltspitter, Celestite Dagger and Star-buckler

1 x Saurus Guard (230)*

BEHEMOTH

ENDLESS SPELL

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

TERRAIN

Realmshaper Engine (0)

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: (1980/2000)

this is another list I’ve considered only thing is I don’t have more skinks to put to the table that are fully painted, while it is not a requirement to participate in the tournament I do enjoy having a fully painted list on the table.

Bowser likes this.