1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warhammer Meme thread

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Killer Angel, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Let's break this down:
    • You post a picture of a Krieger attacking the viewer (in jest) in response to me stating that the meme is as stupid as the Imperial Guard are
    • I then respond by posting that Kriegers are no match for the power of the Hive Mind (again in jest, because I was deliberately parodying Palpatine for comedy effect)
    • You post a Krieg meme (again, in jest)
    • I then reply that Bonesabres >>>>>>>>>>> shovels (again in jest, due to the unneccesarily large number of > symbols)
    • You then reply with a meme that idolises a digger as a bigger shovel
    • I then reply with a simply logical fact that a bonesabre could cut through a digger, then lighten the mood with a Mace Windu meme and a wink emoticon (to show I simply posted in jest once again)
    • You then make what appeared to me to be a more serious comment attempting to challenge the power of the bonesabres, in your usual fashion to try and sound cool, with a Conan the Barbarian clip for good measure
    • I simply made a logical statement about how powerful bonesabres are
    • You responded by stating how if a shovel can kill a Bloodthirster, my Tyranids would have no chance (I suppose this must have been made in jest in the spirit of the meme, but at the time it sounded as though it was another challenge to my logic)
    • I responded that that is only what the memes say, and that they have no bearing on what would actually happen in the 40K galaxy (which is true)
    • You then have a rant at me about how I've supposedly missed the point that the meme isn't meant to be accurate, when in my mind over the past couple of posts I was responding to a challenge to my innate logic, because I had felt it had gone beyond simple banter and into serious lore discussion.
    I think we've both started to take this a little too seriously. I claim my responsibility for my part in this happening, but you could also have kept things light-hearted rather than ranting at me as if I am a thick-skulled idiot. There's no need to go that far.

Not all of it is, one can easily assume that a human armed only with a shovel would be no match for a charging rhino or elephant in the real world, so it is easy to assume that the same person in some WWI German armour and a gas mask would stand even less chance against a Hive Tyrant or Greater Daemon in the 40K galaxy.

Regardless, I get the absurdity of the meme, but, in my mind, absurdity at this level does not equal comedy, it simply equals stupidity. It's simply too overblown and unrealistic to tickle my funnybone. This is a situation akin to the scenes where Kirk tells Spock a joke, Spock doesn't laugh, Kirk explains the joke but all along Spock got the joke, he just had no desire to laugh because his logical mind saw no need for it.

I never said Jar Jar was my gold standard. I simply have said in the past that he amused me. I also enjoy comedy that is far higher in quality:
    • Blackadder
    • Monty Python (which you refuse to watch, I might add)
    • Johnny English
    • Dad's Army
    • One Foot in the Grave (which funnily enough includes some surrealism in it, but unlike the Krieg memes its absurdity is still within the possibilities of real life, which makes it a lot more relatable and thus more )
    • Only Fools and Horses
    Those are my gold-standard. I'd be interested to know what your gold-standard in comedy is by comparison.

And there's no need for attempts to attack my intelligence, I have an IQ of 112 and have the test result to prove it. There's no need to try and insult me just because I find something you like doesn't appeal to my sense of humour and I find something else amusing that you don't.

[​IMG]

Come on, pal, the war's over. There's much better things we can be doing with our time than disputing this. I'll leave you be with your Krieg memes if in return you respect my difference in opinion. Deal?

BrotherSutek and Killer Angel like this.
  2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Hmm, given the helmets, the colours of their uniforms and the name of their planet, I would have thought they're more based on WWI Germans, who did, mind you, adopt the same mad trench warfare and meatgrinder tactics as we British did in that conflict.

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

The entire point of the meme is that a man with a shovel takes on foes that he stands no chance of beating (with said the shovel)... but wins anyways. My argument has nothing to do with your line of reasoning that a Tyranid (in lore) could beat a man with a shovel. The fact that the Tyranid would win in lore is obvious, but entirely misses the point of the meme.

We're just looking at the subject from different viewpoints. You're arguing from what I described as the "straight and narrow" in lore perspective, while I'm looking at it from the vantage point of the meme. Rather than continuing this little joust of ours, let me summarize the Tyranid vs. Shovel standoff:
    • in 40k lore: Tyranid wins easily
    • in the shovel meme "lore": the guy with the shovel wins (because that is the joke)
    • in real life: the guy with the shovel wins because there are no tyranids in real life

I have made no claims against your intelligence. I believe that such a claim would be both unkind and unfounded. To set the record straight, I disagree with you on a lot of things, but I believe you to be an intelligent person. I've always felt that and continue to do so.

My criticism/response was not against you as a person, but instead, specifically against your statement:
    "In your dreams, that's only what the memes say, memes aren't an accurate depiction of real 40K life or physics."

It isn't that I think the statement is wrong (it is factually true), but rather that it misses the point entirely. The meme is predicated on being an inaccurate depiction. That's the joke, regardless of your personal assessment of its comedic value. When I presented the meme of the excavator/digger, I was perpetuating that joke. I wasn't presenting it as an actual in-lore counter to the tyranid.

My best guess is that this is where our divide originates. I was never engaging in a serious lore debate. I'm not even sure which of my statements could be taken as a serious attempt at an in-lore retort.

Funnily enough, we probably actually agree on most aspects of this topic but end up disagreeing anyways! :p

:D

Let me give you a little peak behind the curtain...

• I am aware you like Jar Jar
    • I am aware you never claimed him to be your gold standard
    • I purposefully misconstrued the two to get a (friendly) rise out of you!

In truth, Jar Jar is something of a trump card. Low hanging fruit perhaps, but something that can be continually counted upon to put the "opposition" on their back foot. A weakness to be exploited. Cheap but effective.

In regards to Jar Jar, I guess I'll summarize by quoting you " ...normally your standards of comedy are higher than that."

To be honest, I've never given it that much thought. I suppose if I had to name something, I'd say Seinfeld (specifically the show, not his comedy routine or him as an actor). It's simply so applicable to real life. Mr. Bean is another good one. I appreciate the universal appeal of that show.

I didn't think there was a war. No intention on my part (and you know that I normally love a good forum war [within the confines of forum rules of course]).

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Well, it is true we like to see underdog stories and that is one of the underdog stories of the century, alongside a similar meme I found a while ago about a Necron Annihilation Barge, a dedicated missile vehicle, beating a Space Marine Dreadnought in melee, the Dreadnought's preferred field:

Hah, I didn't think of that one, I find that statement in itself quite funny :D

Well at the time I thought this one to be more serious:

But now that I look at it again, it was clearly just meant to be a bit of banter.

It would have to be us who somehow find something to disagree about even when we achieve a by-and-large census on the topic :p

I think I really need to learn to take things less seriously...

Like a true Sith. Bane, Plagueis and Palpatine would be proud ;) (I'm reading the Plagueis novel at the moment and there is a lot of exploiting the weakness of inferiors in that, as one of the main rules of being a Sith).

The universal appeal of that one is so strong that even you and I can agree it's good ;)

I certainly recommend Johnny English to you as a fellow Bean fan, it's a hilarious parody of James Bond with Atkinson playing a secret agent who has a Bean-esque talent for mucking things up, along with some witty dialogue and classic Bond tropes.

Well, in that case, I don't believe there ever was one either :D

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

299853179_749919552885000_2335072463021607841_n.jpg

9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I wonder if the advocates of painting would still argue that this is better than unpainted sprue grey. :wacky:

11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

At least a grey, unpainted miniature, brings the promise of potential greatness.
    And details are still visible. :p

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

17. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

Ack. I was more focused on WW1 than the specific country. Mea culpa.

18. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

And, she found the reason I like video games. Because they appeal to the male fantasy. It's amazing how that works!

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann