1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age What are the differences between Lizardmen and Seraphon?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Nielspeterdejong, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Skinks are weak in some aspects, but they have a built in mechanism to keep them from combat. They can be deadly if used right and you have your army geared around having them as your core. Even still they hold up as redirectors and can make an opponent waste a charge or even slow them down long enough to get your charge in. They're not a unit that you can ignore though. You have to actively play them.

2. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

Really? But what about their bad wound rolls? You feel they are still reliable enough to harass with? I love the Skinks overall though, but their mechanism only works if you have one big unit, but say 3 small units close to each other. However, I might have just been playing them wrong. I love the little dudes though. You feel the Skinks are better off in Age of Sigmar then 9th edition?

Bowser likes this.
  3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The fact that you can buff them, that they can escape combat, and ignore 1 rend makes them a decent threat. From what I can tell from comments on the forum a skink based army in AOS may fair better than a skink based army in T9A. In 8th the skinks were pretty well the go to core unit. That being said with a looser movement in AOS you have an easier time maneuvering large skink units than in the other games. The problem is that they have a different role in all the games so comparing them isn't easy.

4. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Buff them? You mean with things like the Priests rerolls on saves? (They still have a 6+ defense, but then again I think you can also buff them with mythic shield). Speaking of which, I posted a thread with some tournament army options, how about we continue there instead of here on the forum that is about 8th edition?

5. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

As an answer to how T9A's Saurian Ancients play differently from Warhammer's Lizardmen:
    There's a lot in common. For those who played a primarily guerilla-war strategy, with small units of Skinks and other fast shooters running all over the table, it's changed significantly. That approach is massively restricted. For those who play a combined-arms kind of list, with some basic Core backed up by a range of support units, all supported by a hefty Magic Phase, there are definitely changes to learn to the game as a whole, but you still basically bring a few good combat units, a serious wizard of some kind, lots of small stuff to run interference and dictate movement, and some powerful support units to help clean up when things get up-close and personal.

If you were comparing T9A to Lizardmen from back in the day - that is, 6th Edition up through the earliest days of 8th Edition, I'd say they've radically changed because Saurus just aren't the dependable, resilient bricks they once were. But that's not different from where 8th Edition ended up.

6. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Well like I said, I'm definately intersted in both, but it would be fun to play both skinks effectively but also play with a good combined army.

I like Age of Sigmar, but it would also be fun to play with something like the old Warhammer, and try that out :)

n810 likes this.