1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you doing today hobbywise?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Feb 8, 2018.

1. J.Logan
    Temple Guard

J.Logan Well-Known Member

Respectfully... the heads, or more specifically, the jaws, don't do it for the lizardman design. They aren't thick and carnivore-ish enough. I think that was the issue I always had with them, but I haven't looked at the lizardman old ones for a while, so I might be misremembering my gripe with them. I do remember looking up a guide that suggested ways to fix that part of them, and found one, but that was about 5 years back, so *shrug*

It was just the one issue I really had with them... and the rider's legs, I suppose. They were... kinda disproportionately smol, I think?

2. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

YES! Yes they did! It is a very nice kit, though many many build steps were involved. Each tread section and frame is 19 parts, for example. Yes, I counted. The ONLY flaw I have with the kit is this: it is meant for 30K, and the 40K version is... different in three ways. First, it comes with a Vanquisher Cannon and a Battle Cannon (but you can only use the Battle Cannon in 40K - no Vanquisher Malcador for 40K players - I used the Vanquisher barrel anyway because it looks better; you can also use twin lascannons, but for fluff reasons I cannot, see below). Second, and this one is annoying, is that the machine has hardpoints for 3 heavy weapon mounts which can be filled with any combination of Lascannon, Autocannon, and Heavy Bolter in 40K (30K also lets you mount multi-lasers or heavy flamers) BUT - and this is the annoying part - you get 3 Lascannons, 3 Heavy Bolters, but only 2 each of the other three weapon options, so to mount 3 Autocannons on it I had to scrounge parts out of my Sentinel spares. Third, while the Annihilator and Defender Malcadors can take a Demolisher Cannon on the hull mount, the normal Malcador can not, which annoys me a lot.

You may ask me, "Kith, why didn't you put Lascannons on it?!?," which is a good question, but for fluff reasons my space rats cannot use laser-weaponry at all and make heavier use of Autocannons and Plasma instead (house rule lets me use plasma on the heavier setting without Hazardous in exchange for no Lascannon access, but I do need my opponent's permission to do that).

...and full of tanks. Many tanks. So many tanks. Did I mention there will be tanks? :D

3. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

20240921_120607.jpg

But yeah, these tread section sub-assemblies? 19 parts each.

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Ah, the pain... ;)

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  5. pyro-dragon
    Saurus

pyro-dragon Active Member

6. BrotherSutek
    Terradon

BrotherSutek Well-Known Member

I like their feel of motion and, strangely for me, the extra details added. I have a bunch of the older models but they just don't scream, to me, you're being charged by terrifying thunder lizards. I have a weird taste so I don't hold other peoples taste against them. It's all about Tichi huichi anyway.

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  7. pyro-dragon
    Saurus

7th edition lizardmen army book came in the post today. Went down to my lockup to dig out my 5th and 6th editions too. Also using that awesome list someone made elswhere, picked out all the WD I have that have relevent materials in them.
    Going to be doing a bunch of reading research this weekend for fluffing out my army fluff even more.
    Also loading my brain up with materials for the next writing event.

8. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Wow... I've got the Malcador, 3 Leman Russes (Vanquisher/Normal [because you can swap the barrels easily], Demolisher, and Exterminator), 2 Griffon Mortars (oldoldold Vindicator tanks proxied in), 3 Carnodons (oldoldold Predator tanks proxied in), 8 Sentinel war walkers (I like sentinels), and 1 Hellhound (my Devil Rat with the melta- options), though I have parts for 2 more Hellhound builds.

I've also got ~150+ infantry rats, 5 Rat Rider cavalry, a Thudd Gun ordinance weapon, and several units of Heavy Weapon Teams.

9. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Did someone say Tichi-Huichi??? 5th edition Skink Cold One Cavalry still rocks, 20 years later.

20220427_173745.jpg

10. J.Logan
    Temple Guard

Round bases? I'm pretty certain there are commissars lurking who might take umbridge with such dated fantasy models on round bases. :p

11. pyro-dragon
    Saurus

You gotta post some of these ratty boys. I wanna see how you have modded them!

12. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

13. J.Logan
    Temple Guard

@Tk'ya'pyk

Out of curiosity, what were your thoughts when Zorpazorp started doing videos on 40k skaven conversations?

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  14. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Yes, but for a while I was using them as Saurus Knights in my all-skink army back in AoS 2nd edition (and might use them as Raptadons in current). I'm gathering bases at the moment to convert my older Seraphon stuff into a proper WFB lizardman army (metal stegadons, saurus knights, the old saurus and skinks, salamanders, metal terradons, and possibly Tichi-Huichi and his boys, though there aren't ToW rules for them...

BrotherSutek and J.Logan like this.
  15. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Actually haven't seen them, and honestly, I don't think I care? I have my own take on squeakies in 40K, and i've been working on them since the early 90s, so...

Interesting. I'm subscribed to his feed, but I don't think I've seen any skaven 40K builds from him. Can't find them in his Youtube channel, either. He might have pulled them from the feed, since 99% of his feed looks to be LOTR these days.

16. J.Logan
    Temple Guard

That's fair.

17. BrotherSutek
    Terradon

BrotherSutek Well-Known Member

Always good to make proper Lizardmen, in this case there may be no rules but it's worth it even if they are used as a proxy. Just awesome models.

J.Logan likes this.
  18. pyro-dragon
    Saurus

Got the 2nd Lustria book and a 3rd edition Seraphon battletome in the post today along with a metal saurus guard champion from 2002 still in the blister pack.
    Never been a big fan of the metal models and it was unusually cheap so I am wondering about keeping it in the blister back and flogging it on again later. If not, he's getting a bolter and being set up as leader of a veteran squad.

Currently missing the 8th edition armybook and the first Lustria book. There is another pack of old (not old old) saurus warriors awaiting dispatch to give myself some spares if I really make a hack job at converting them.

Apart from reciving packages, I'm finishing up all the tiny bits of some vehicles. The all need cleaning, assembling & painting.

J.Logan likes this.