1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS What does Celestant-Prime bring to our army that makes it so good?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Jason839, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Was looking at the first place list from Us open chicago and it was a Kotl's claw list with allied Celestant-Prime. I am confused though on why bring a Celestant-Prime. What does the Prime give you that makes it so worth it?

2. ChameleonGnom
    Skink

ChameleonGnom Member

Can you share the List?

3. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Hi @Jason839, this was from another forum post with a similar question. You were a part of that discussion, so this may not exactly answer your question, but I hope it helps.

EDIT: Just making some guesses, based on the warscroll, our army, and the KC subfaction.
    •Celestant Prime does hit pretty hard, with -3 rend and 3 damage. Seraphon lacks big rend attacks in general. If you keep Prime off the field, he gets more attacks.
    •3+ save (possibly All Out Def to 2+) with a 4+ ward means he can shake off most hits from standard units. I think one of Seraphon's big issues is middling saves. Prime only has 8 wounds, so you still have to be careful.
    •He doesn't need to be set on the battlefield and can teleport down, forcing armies to consider their backfield. Chameleons can do this, but may not be a versatile or sturdy.
    •His mortal wound ranged attack is possibly even more useful for KC. If you have a Slann or Kroak dropping mortals plus this guy dropping mortals, it can be rough.
    •He can guarantee a dice roll each turn, making his charge roll for example.

He's expensive, but he has useful mechanics that seem to help round out some Seraphon armies.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  4. cyberhawk94
    Cold One

cyberhawk94 Active Member

Just wanted to comment on this, as that post was from a year ago and the meta and some mechanics have changed. The Heroic Recovery change in particular really hurt him. I still like him in Koatl's Claw lists as they lack ranged output and he is better/more flexible than a Bastilidon. Thunder Lizard point increases mean they cant really squeeze him in, and Starborne in general doesn't need mobility or mortal wounds

Just A Skink likes this.
  5. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was hoping some more knowledgeable lizards would come along :)