1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS What's a "WEAPON"

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by dinoSTARZ, Mar 5, 2018.

1. dinoSTARZ
    Cold One

dinoSTARZ Active Member

Saurus old-blood on carnosaur can buff (each within 20") one of a SAURUS HERO'S WEAPON. I've read online that people buff the carnosaur's massive jaws. Is that a "weapon?" I've been playing that he had to buff like a sword or a spear or a shield because I didn't think your own mouth really counts as a weapon, but I have no idea where I'd even find this information out. If you can, please, tell me 1. the answer to the above, 2. where I can show my opponent/frenemy that answer to prove to him he is a lying cheater, and 3. bonus question: can the carnosaur on old blood buff himself (or his own carnosaur) because right now he's my only hero.

Captaniser likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

A weapon is everything that has a line in the weapons table of the warscroll.

Abilities affecting weapons (or melee weapons) mean exactly those lines.

So the Jaws and Stardrake Shield of a Saurus Warrior are actually one weapon, and so are the two taking claws of a Carnosaur.

Abilities buffing weapons usually specify the type or name of the weapon and any restrictions. For example the Blade of Realities cannot be a mount's weapon.

Captaniser and dinoSTARZ like this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

And yes the Oldblood can buff himself. as per the FAQ a unit is always in range of itself. He also has the correct keywords (Saurus and Hero) and the description doesn't say that he cannot buff himself (there are abilities that don't allow that but they all clearly say so).

But IIRC he actually may not be able to buff the Carnosaur, just his own spear. Not 100% sure but I seem to remember a discussion and a FAQ about that...

Captaniser and Seraphage like this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I think your right pretty sure I have read that any buffs do not apply to the mount just the rider.

5. Aginor
    Slann

It is not any buffs only some. It is definitely true for command traits and artefacts though. Maybe that's what I was thinking about because that is definitely in the rules.

Disallowing Serpent Staff for Cold Ones or a Troglodon's bite would just be silly.

6. dinoSTARZ
    Cold One

dinoSTARZ Active Member

Any idea where in the rules (is it general's handbook?) I can find this? This debate is of utmost importance to my games against my most frequent opponent!

7. Aginor
    Slann

The definition of what a weapon is? On every warscroll.

The rule about command traits and artefacts not applying to mounts is in the GHB2017.
    I only have the German version page number though, 117.
    I was also told that one of the English versions (not sure which one) contains a typo though and accidentally says "Command ability" which makes no sense at all.

8. dinoSTARZ
    Cold One

dinoSTARZ Active Member

Ok thanks. If the old-blood on carnosaur's command ability (it says ability on the warscroll) doesn't work on mounts then that's really the rule I was looking for. I wanted to use it on massive jaws instead of the spear, as I'd been reading people doing online.

9. Aginor
    Slann

I see no reason why it shouldn't work on the Jaws. Command abilities are not limited to rider weapons.

10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

that interpretation has one big downside though, it implies that an auric runefather can now break your jaws with his latchkey.. And sillier, that he could break a stegadon's legs with it...

11. Aginor
    Slann

Sure. Everything has their advantages and disadvantages. It is a simple ruleset and that opens up such possibilities.

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

To be honest, I wouldn't mind distinctions between "weapons" and claws/teeth/etc. I like the runefather's ability and would love to see similar abilities. But without such a disctinction it'l quickly become overwhelming. Plus, they're already making the distinction with artifacts for heroes, you're not allowed to apply those to the mounts. It'd make sense to take that further.