1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Wishes for 9th

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by SilverFaith, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

Not being removed from 9th edition

2. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

Well I was thinking of getting back into the hobby, I went to buy an army book and it was $83 so my wish would be the cost of the basics was to halve.

3. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Fluff and Rules should be sold separately. There was relatively little fluff changes between 6th and 8th edition books across the armies. Paying for the fluff portion over and over was annoying. Then End Times turned the fluff from boringly repetitive to all Mahrlected up.

Only about 10% of the End Times books cover crunch. Tamurkahn wasn't much better. I REALLY like the Siege rules in Blood in the Badlands but 90% of the book is almost literal dead weight. They should publish one supplement a year with all their special rules rather than bury it in a narration of a campaign the GW staff played. Special Scenarios Volume 1, 2, 3, etc.

I would like something like Ravening Hordes again. All the army stats and points in one place for relatively cheap.

I would favor across the board price decreases but that's not on the table. They should at least make startup costs cheap. The BRB and army books should be cheap. Core should cost less in $ terms than non-Core.

This is not practical, but in a perfect world if people always take a unit, the points costs should go up eventually to reflect this. If people almost never take a unit the points cost should go down. That way unit choice is more about synergy and theme rather than "bang for your buck". If cannons are "too powerful" their points cost should reflect this.

Qupakoco likes this.
  4. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

Yeah Errata could be released each book.

Lizardmen 8.1 might have skrox point cost down, cowboy cost up, etc.

(Also I can't help but think that each army should be rated on a point system in tournaments, e.g. a 2500 point tournament, HE -200, TK+200, lizards +50, but then I guess that is more of a tournament wish than a GW one. And I never play tournaments so for all I know this already happens)

5. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

This is already happening ;)

6. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

More powerful cannons. That's what I wish for. :D

7. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

More powerfull cannons he says, oh no. Nerf those terrible Deamon Princes into the ground and give Cannons d3 wounds. I do not mind something being good at killing monsters in the game, it should just be less reliable and you should be able to heal/move/shield your monster as a response to it being shot at. I think that only these changes would make the game a lot better, even at a tournament level.

8. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Lol. I put that up there as a joke, but I really don't think that cannons need nerfing that much. Everything should have a counter, and cannons are monsters counter. If a monster gets into an Empire line, then that Empire unit just lost. Period. The ONLY chance that Empire has at winning the game is those 1-2(maybe) rounds at the very beginning of the game. If you don't kill whatever big bad thing that is making a bee-line for your general's unit, then you're probably going to lose.

:beaver:
    (I've been waiting to use this one!)

Nerfing them down to D3 wounds just means that you'd see more gunlines because they would need twice as many to get the job done. It wouldn't change the strategy (shoot the thing that is going to eat your entire army), just the variety. Thus, making games much more boring. They already misfire 1/3 of the time. If you want to better those odds, you have to virtually pay 1 1/2 times the cost of the cannon.

That being said, Cannons should be totally stationary (They can be pivoted for aiming purposes, but where you set them down at the beginning of the game is where they stay). None of this "I'm mounting my cannon on the back of a Rhinox and can move and shoot it, oh yeah, AND it is a chariot" business. THAT is stupid.

If we nerf cannons (virtually removing them from the game) then Fantasy just becomes a game of who has the biggest, baddest monster. They are the only reliable thing that is keeping them in check.

airjamy likes this.
  9. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to, in the case of cannons, I might actually agree with you (Chicken Lips). But I still do think that they are too cheap for what they do, basically all cannons should have a nerf, especially the Empire´s gatling gun. http://www.games-workshop.com/en-DK/Empire-Helblaster-Volley-Gun
    That thing is just plain stupid. It does not really have anything it isn´t good at taking down.

10. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

hmmm....I spot an error

aarh...much better :D

I dont think cannons should be D3, keep it D6, but turn down the sniper accuracy.
    Depending on the crew, it should scatter TO THE SIDES!!

A good player would chose areas where he would hit SOMETHING, which makes the cannon very worth it even though you cant snipe anymore.

11. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Coatls
    Coatls
    Coatls
    Coatls
    Coatls

12. hardyworld
    Kroxigor

hardyworld Active Member

Agreed.

Although D3 for weaker cannons (basically all cannons other than Empire or Dwarf) would be a welcome change too. That way those Khorne cannons, Ironblaster, etc. can act as a tough chariot while still being a cannon without the hardest punch available to them. Double nerf of those things isn't out of line at all.

13. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

im more thinking that the fighty cannons..........what a stupid sentence......will be among the cannons that has terrible aim.

14. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

It is a stupid sentence, I think that cannons should be less accurate, but you should get Cannons OR Monsters, e.g Dwarves: What monsters? but cannons yes. Empire: It's monster almost isn't worth mentioning, it's cannons are. Lizardmen: MONSTERS EVERYWHERE! What? Cannon? What's that? Brettonnians: Special case, I think they want a new book before talking about that

15. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Fighty%20Cannon_zpszpwa3dvs.jpg

airjamy and n810 like this.
  16. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

So...

It's a cannon... but it's a gentlemanly cannon? How civilized!

17. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

This is actually a pretty good idea. Target a point, roll a scatter dice and move it D3" in that direction for the point where it actually hits. The bounce still moves in a straight line beyond the point of impact though.

I think the mounted cannons like the Ironblasters or Stanks, should only do D3 wounds and only have a range of 24". (The Stank is variable depending on how many steam points go into it.)

I think the misfire charts are pretty fair.

miturian likes this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That's pretty much the crux of it. My wish for 9th would be that all those nasty 9th edition rumours turn out to be untrue.

Other than that...

-reworking of cannons as described by the posters above
    -toning down some of the insta-kill nuke spells
    -disrupting flanks = disrupting steadfast
    -frequent faq updates
    -a return to fantasy models as opposed to these 40k-fantasy looking hybrids that GW has been pumping out (Stormfiends, Wrathmongers, Skullreapers, Skullcannon, Soul Grinder)

19. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I had no idea how low they had sunk...
    [​IMG]

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Hahaha... when I look at this, it doesn't scream fantasy in even the slightest of ways (and this conversion is more fantasy-like than the unconverted GW model). In my mind this has no place in fantasy, it belongs exclusively in 40k. Sadly, there are quite few more recent models that fall into this category.

pendrake likes this.