1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Wishes for 9th

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by SilverFaith, Jul 13, 2014.

1. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Is the daemon stuck to the cannon by his tongue? Srsly? ....and where is he supposed to stow the swords when he operates the cannon?

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Hahaha... that is too funny. We can't pin that one on GW though, as that is a result of the conversion. The original has two crew with one weapon each, while the other hand is holding a chain. Still, it is a horrible mess. You're point about stowing the weapons is spot on, not sure what they do with those weapons.

When I look at it, I immediately think of the following questions...
    1. How does this fit in fantasy?
    2. Why do deamons have a cannon?
    3. How did this ugly model ever get released?
    4. How can GW possibly expect to sell any significant quantity of these things?... then I look at the rules... AUTO INCLUDE

3. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

It doesn't even scream warhammer tbh.

1 reason.

Khorne - Cannon.

Tzeentch yes, slaneesh maybe, nurgle ok, but khorne, he'd destroy the bloodthirster before that thing ever become a reality.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Spot on! I know Khorne has had some strange cannon-like contraptions way back in the day (not sure what it was called, but I say a picture of it), but it just seems to go against fluff. Where is the martial prowess of firing a giant ugly cannon? Khorne might as well be wielding magic at that point.

5. Eyeless1
    Saurus

Eyeless1 Member

I think they should publish the BRB and ALL army books at the exact same time. This would deal with power creep, and make everything on the same page. It would take a lot if time and effort to do this, but be totally worth it.

n810 likes this.
  6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

That is completely impossible. They would have to ramp up their staff to about 12x normal for a two-three month period and then there would be not much for all those people to do until version 10 (if there was a version 10) so they'd end up laying them off.

Besides the power creep is a vital component of their business model.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

They be able to do it if they didn't release all the models at the same time too.
    (just the rules)
    and later release new models and some rule tweaks or something.

8. Eyeless1
    Saurus

Eyeless1 Member

Well i dont like it when my army gets shafted by being the first one published after a new edition. Like chaos space marines, im stillvmad about that, and that was years ago....

They could do it if they changed the way they did things, and plan way in advance. They could design the next editions books one by one, but not publish the finished product until all armys were developed and weighed together.

bhuddiver and n810 like this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

:D:D:D:D:D

I'm sure the Bretonnians would disagree! :p

10. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I think there is an argument to be made for Khornate cannons: 'grounded' technology reliant on skill and craft to create, much like other weapons as opposed to ethereal magical arts; they take skill to manage and utilise effectively; and Khorne isn't just about martial prowess, the brute force of a cannonball-skull can easily represent irrepressible and volatile wrath. Plus, Khorne has been known to throw bronze skulls onto the battlefield himself when angered - there's a parallel to be drawn there.

That being said, less cannons on motorbikes would be very welcome. It looks silly even in 40k.

Although, rumours of a more steam-punk esque direction for 9th might make such occurrences more common :penguin:

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I really hope that this turns out to be untrue.

12. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Except for the bio-mechanical shark mouth it looks like Privateer Press designed it. In fact ditch the daemon twins, add a boiler and some stove pipes in their place, and file away some of the Skullz and it would look fine in Warmahordes. In a Cryx army you could just leave the Skullz.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That skullcannon is the exact opposite of our Troglodon. The skullcannon is a horrid model with amazing rules, while the Troglodon is an amazing model with horrid rules.

airjamy likes this.
  14. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Why would the dwarven and imperial cannons do not need nerfs? They have other good ways to deal with monsters, such as big blocks of infantry, stonethrowers or hellblasters. All are less reliable then cannons, which is why cannons would be used, and thus are monsters a lot less fun to play with as there is very little to none reliable counterplay against cannons.

15. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Is there no anti-cannon magic?

Why is there no anti-cannon magic?

Too bad there is not a Lore of Stone. Its signature spell would be one that causes a rough stone wall (of boulders) to burst forth from the ground.

You cast it right in front of the cannon. An inch away. Physically block its lines of fire.

There we go: that is what I am wishing for out of 9th. Terrain magic.

airjamy likes this.
  16. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

The only specific spell for war machines etc. I can think of is "Ruiner of Wrought", the Lore of the Wild cataclysm spell present in the Storm of Magic and End Times campaigns.

This has been on my mind for too long.

We have Soul of Stone from Light Magic, allowing us to drop hills on our enemies.
    Lore of Life can invite forests to attack.
    Lore of Athel Loren could summon forests.
    High Magic can summon Arcane Fulcrums.

If magic gets stream-lined (as an example, Fire = offensive, Light = augment, Shadow = Hex, Undead = Summon units), I feel terrain magic could offer a whole new realm of versatility:

Summon poisonous, semi-sentient briar barricades. Create swamps. Move stone. Invoke geysers. Conjure lava-fields....

pendrake likes this.
  17. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Preach it.

Some sort of Terrain Magic would be a much more VISIBLE thing on the tabletop. If a spell went off it would require placing the appropriate model...it would involve models.

Stuff you could see.

In the existing rules I detest that the net results of 3/4s [half?] of all the existing magic just boils down to: roll [some number] of [some number] ST hits with [insert some type of] saving throw.

miturian likes this.
  18. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

If we still have Slanns with access to all magic lores, I'd pick this kind of spell every single time, not caring how good it mechanically is. It would make magic 500 times as fun to play with.

This is now my biggest wish for 9th edition. Let us throw some terrain on the table with magic, PLEASE.

Some of the spells would actually work well with a rework into terrain. Throne of Vines because an actual throne you have to sit still inside. Pit of Shades becomes a pit where you take an initiative check every movement phase you sit in it, or take a SX hit if you fail it, Fulminating Flame Cage because an actual cage of fire that also hurts units charging into it, and otherwise remains for the same duration that it has now.

Basically look at every spell, and if it doesn't HAVE to be an invisible buff/debuff on a unit (Curse of ages, speed of light, etc) then turn it into an area spell with actual terrain placement.

GW should love this idea - it gives them the opportunity to sell additional stuff.

miturian, Slanputin and pendrake like this.
  19. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Players would need a Spellbox. A box of terrain items ready to add to the table. You would be limited to casting only the things you had "material components" for.

That Pit of Shades spell could be supported by a rectangular piece of thin vinyl. Jet black of course. Add it to tabletop "portable hole" style.

Slanputin likes this.
  20. Wandering_Saint
    Jungle Swarm

Wandering_Saint New Member

I would like to see some expanded fluff for all of the armies.

>> I am in control of an army of [blank.] Who is the ultimate leader of the [blank]s? What are his or her motivations? What are the motivations of the people of the realm? What do we fight for, and why do we fight for it? If these goals are not global in some way, then how does it make sense to fight anyone? For example, what reason do the denizens of Lustria, staunch defenders of their sacred grounds, battle the Wood Elves, staunch defenders of their sacred grounds?