1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Aginor's Painting Blog

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Aginor, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Thanks!
    Now I need a bit of help here.
    I glazed the sigils as planned and they look kiiinda cool but I lost a bit of contrast during the process. I should probably gave gone for yellow sigils instead of blue but well, they are done blue now.

So I wondered: Should I try and give the skin parts around the sigils a very light drybrush using a bright blue color? That would make them look glowing and cover up the ugly white spots on the edges where the glaze didn't stick perhaps...

Or what would y'all do?

20170624_143421.jpg 20170624_143439.jpg 20170624_143448.jpg

Lizerd, tom ndege, Ritual and 4 others like this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Small update without pics (please look at the post above, I am still unsure so I'd appreciate your help):
    I did the hair (brown, gradient of reds turning brighter towards the tips, highlighted orange) and the hooves (also brown, also drybrushed red a bit.
    I also did his belt (using the recipe from the Tzaangors and the Kairic Acolytes) and his loincloth (just the base color, which is Skeleton bone).
    Also base coated the wood of the staff brown and finally primed the other staff part.

I also twitched and dropped him onto the floor ....twice.... which caused chipping in several places and also the fresh blue glaze splattered onto the bright parts such as the muscles. Dammit.... I have to correct that and hope that it doesn't look too bad.

Captaniser and Ritual like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

@Aginor highlight the sigils with Lothern blue/white just do the top part of all the curves

4. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Aye, if you hold the model upside down and use what is basically a white wash - thin it down so it hits those top cracks and you'll get some variation in them. It being upside down will make gravity do the hard work.

Crowsfoot, Aginor and tom ndege like this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Ok I think I'll try that.
    Right now the sigils became a bit too dark.
    I did a second layer of glaze to make them look better but made them darker that way. Less contrast. Your suggestions could lighten them up again I guess.

Crowsfoot, Captaniser and Ritual like this.
  6. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Provably a bit late, but I think the sigils would look better if painted other colour than blue. Maybe purple or yellow like you suggested ;)

Crowsfoot, Aginor and Ritual like this.
  7. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah, I thoought the blue would look differently on white so it would stand out more. Fail. :(

Crowsfoot and Ritual like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Not a fail at all it just needs highlighting then when you do the muscle work deepen the shadows to nearly black and don't over highlight.

The grey and red on the hound was tied together with lots of Nuln oil washes, just build up gradually.

[​IMG]

Lizerd, Ritual and Aginor like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah but highlighting is my arch enemy!
    Ok, not THAT bad, I will have to try it here I guess, but yeah, one of my "problem zones".

I'll post some more evolved pics soon and see from there. :)

Ritual and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I remember when I first properly started the hobby - it was January 2008 I think, when I bought the Battle of Skull Pass set with some money I had saved up for Christmas, when I was 10. I will always remember my Dwarfs as being my first ever Warhammer army. I also received some ancient 4th Ed models and the 4th Ed army book from a relative and another box of Dwarf Warriors from my parents, so by this time I had Josef Bugman, 2 Thanes, a Dragon Slayer, one unit of 12 Warriors, one unit of 16, 10 Thunderers, 8 miners, 9 Bugman's Rangers and a cannon, which I felt was a really nice little army. And yes, for the first few games I played at school I was using the 4th Ed Dwarf book with the 7th Ed rulebook! I also remember when I first stated 40K - in December 2010. I also first started watching Star Wars at the same time with my fave of them all, the Phantom Menace!

Ritual and Aginor like this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

Ok here are some new pictures.

As you can see I followed the great advice y'all gave me (Or at least tried to) and the sigils look much better now. Thank you very much, @Crowsfoot and @Ritual !
    I think I will keep them that way.

I also highlighted and shaded the face a bit, painted the beard and shaded the loincloth.
    I also did some gold parts and basecoated the horns black.

I will next do highlights on the horns with grey, and highlight a bit more.
    As you can see I gave him black hands, how would you highlight those? I was thinking about using either a drybrush with light grey over the knuckles, or perhaps with a light blue?
    I'd also like to ask for suggestions for the eyes. I was thinking about green (moot green for the eyeballs and green glaze around them for a glow effect), but purple could also look rad....

20170628_002228.jpg 20170628_002235.jpg 20170628_002248.jpg

Lizerd, Jorgik, Ritual and 1 other person like this.
  12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Looking good, for the black highlight in 2 layers you can highlight into blue or green.

Blue use dark reaper and final highlight of Fenrisian grey.

Green use Incubi Darkness and final highlight of Skarsnik green.

Use this just on the knuckles etc, the eyes need to be green in my opinion.

Lizerd, tom ndege, Captaniser and 2 others like this.
  13. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Runes are looking much better now. I'd highlight through blue given the model colour, green would look a bit weird.

As for the eyes I would go with orange to get the contrast from the skin colour.

tom ndege, Aginor and Crowsfoot like this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

Thanks again!
    Orange for the eyes is tempting, because it is a color already used on the model, and you are right, it is the complementary to blue so the contrast would be cool. I think I will go for green eyes though, since that will fit the green flames I have planned for the staff.

Dark reaper is a slightly blueish dark grey, right? I don't have such a color but I might just take a bit of dark blue and mix black into it....

Lizerd, tom ndege and Ritual like this.
  15. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

It is, just as ulthuan grey

16. Aginor
    Slann

I ended up using Army Painter's Wolf Grey and darkened it a bit using black.
    It looks.... ok-ish on the knuckles but otherwise I am not too happy with it.

But in the meantime I highlighted the horns by drybrushing them grey (and then again with a lighter grey, might still be too subtle but we'll see) and I painted the teeth, eyes, and a few other details.

Pics tonight, I forgot to take some yesterday.

Ritual and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  17. Aginor
    Slann

Still WIP but I am getting there I think.

I wonder if I should try OSL from the green flames to the base. But then I would also have to do it on the staff itself and I fear I will ruin it if I try that.

20170630_000418.jpg 20170630_000527.jpg 20170630_000545.jpg 20170630_000555.jpg

Lizerd, Nefertem, Mesandres and 5 others like this.
  18. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Geiler Scheiß! Eh.. I mean great job! Looks excellent!

Ritual, Crowsfoot and Aginor like this.
  19. Aginor
    Slann

Thx! :D

Mesandres, Ritual and Crowsfoot like this.
  20. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Looking better, now we all want to push our skills to the next level but trying OSL is a gamble not worth having atm.

Practice OSL and NMM on a test model but you really should be perfecting blending and glazing first, if you can try to download a copy or purchase.

Cool Mini or Not, The Ultimate Miniature Painting Guide.

That has everything you will ever need combine it with youtube and your laughing.