1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Aginor's Painting Blog

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Aginor, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Oh and I also noticed that some companies call their shades/washes "inks".
    I can at least speak for Army Painter and say it is the same thing. Those are just shades. I heard some companies handle that differently though, inks being more pigment-heavy than shades. Maybe there are even some that call their glazes inks?

Lizerd and Ritual like this.
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Inks are generally very pigmented, but also transparent,
    Glazes are inks with some medium in then to make them more transparent,
    Washes are the thinnest and have little pigment and a different medium for better flow.

Aginor and Ritual like this.
  3. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Kinda...

Inks are super pigment heavy and, if actually ink, a bit more difficult to work with due to the surface tension. You might get weird pooling issues etc.

Washes and glazes are two applications of inks, basically take some ink and apply different additives and you get washes and glazes.

Washes are modified to by thinner and the surface tension adjusted to try and get it to pool into the creases to create the shades you want.

Glazes are modified to be thinner, but to retain some of that surface tension to get a more even coverage.

Basically - buy some ink, experiment with different mediums depending on what's available to you locally (Winsor and Newton do TONS of really great mediums at about £8 a bottle!)... You'll have to do some work to get to using them, but you'll end up with all the inks, washes and glazes you could need and they'll last you forever.

Seriously, check this out:

http://amzn.to/2t5jlT7 - £9 for a set of inks.

http://amzn.to/2v3kFax - £8 iridescent medium

http://amzn.to/2v3HZF1 - Some flow improver

http://amzn.to/2t5iu4H - Medium.

I'm currently experimenting with layering inks with textures for the upcoming Dark Mech army. It can get a really nice grimdark gritty effect doing that.

4. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Back way back when, I tried painting models with oils, now apart from the drying time they were easy to work with and blend, I used quite a few W&N products then, the varnish etc was excellent quality.

Ritual likes this.
  6. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I've done some reading on using oils, I think it'd work well on larger models but for small stuff it'd probably just be a clustertruck... Also oil paints are freakin nasty to clean off stuff...

Aginor likes this.
  7. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the analytical response ! I really appreciate it everyone !

Aginor and Ritual like this.
  8. Nefertem
    Temple Guard

Nefertem Well-Known Member

Trick...Make a stock solution: two drops dishwasher and 10ml water. Add one drop of this stock to your inks/glazes. It will break surface tension.

Ritual, Aginor and tom ndege like this.
  9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I use this stuff, basically it's semi gloss clear acrylic paint.
    (it can go by different names depending on country)[​IMG]

Ritual and Aginor like this.
  10. Aginor
    Slann

Who let the dogs out?
    ...me.

Here are some better pictures of the Hounds:

20170710_211252.jpg 20170710_211343.jpg 20170710_211421.jpg 20170710_211444.jpg 20170710_211513.jpg 20170710_211534.jpg 20170710_211548.jpg

Lizerd, Mesandres, Essmir and 9 others like this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

...and the rest:

20170710_211616.jpg 20170710_211626.jpg 20170710_211657.jpg 20170710_211717.jpg 20170710_211740.jpg 20170710_211753.jpg

12. Aginor
    Slann

Started painting some skeletons!

The problem was: I am an idiot and did not mind the high humidity we had at the weekend. So applying my skeleton bone spray primer turned out to be a complete disaster.
    The coat became grainy and too thick, it went into lots of details and basically destroyed all 20 of my Mantic skeletons.
    I decided to still go on and paint them. They are Skeletons after all and if they look really bad it is because they just got summoned from their graves. I will use mud and blood effects to cover up some if the real bad parts I guess.

I took 10 of them and thought: can't get any worse, at least I get to know the sculpt and get some practice.

Naturally I wasn't too motivated to paint them very detailed since the details were already messed up before I even started. So I quickly slapped on a few base colors, then drowned them in sepia shade, applied some rust effects and drybrushed them a bit with silver in the end. I went for a rather dirty look with those.

For guys I had basically already written off they turned out pretty well I think. Here is how they look right now. Basically finished except the bases.

I like how many different poses, heads, and shapes there are in this cheap box.
    Considering those are half the price of GW Skellies and about the same level of quality they are worth it. Aesthetically I am not completely sure. I will see if they fit together with GW skeletons as soon as I have painted those as well. (Already have bought twenty).

20170711_221640.jpg

13. Aginor
    Slann

Started with the second part of the set, and it seems I was a bit more lucky there, with less details destroyed by my lack of judgement.
    Motivation status: High. :)

Lizerd, The Penguin, Ritual and 2 others like this.
  14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Nothing wrong with those skellys

The Penguin and Ritual like this.
  15. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Apparently if that "bobbly" effect happen with spray you can wash them in soapy water and it removes it. Never tried personally, switched to airbrush primer after my first cockup and never looked back....

I like the look of what you've done with them though! They look gritty and natural.

Aginor and The Penguin like this.
  16. Aginor
    Slann

Thanks, guys!

My idea lore wise is that I will have two different looks of Skeletons: one with the colors I used for the ones above (green and black with some leather straps in brown) and then a few more barbaric looking ones (the GW skeletons).
    The necromancer basically summoned up skeletons of soldiers from an old battlefield. Some are troops of a Lord whose colors were green and black, and the other ones were vikings/gallics/Germanic types barbarians.

17. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Good concpconception!
    And about the reaper skeletons: the only things that buck me about them have nothing to do with your painting...;)

Ritual, Aginor and n810 like this.
  18. Aginor
    Slann

I kinda like their realistic style. I also like GWs heroic style because the weapons are bigger and many details are just more visible although more comic-ish.

The only thing I really dislike about the Mantic skeletons is that their eye sockets are not empty. It is clearly meant for giving them cool red or - white walker style - blue glowing eyes, but I like it better when they just look like real skeletons.

Lizerd, Ritual and tom ndege like this.
  19. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Honestly, I like giving them that "unholy" glow. They feel a bit more sinister to me that way.

20. Aginor
    Slann

Those look pretty good indeed. :)
    The other thing I dislike btw: Only eight spears for ten skellies. I don't blame them though since the guys at Mantic of course don't know I am going to use them for AoS. I am using parts of Skink Javelins to make the rest of the spears. Got plenty of those and they have almost the right diameter.

In other news: Last night I base coated the other ten, took me around three hours. I'll finish them tonight so I guess I can do ten skellies in four to five hours, which puts one skeleton at about half an hour of work the way I am currently painting them.