1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Forbidden Power discussion

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Stuart Glasson, May 14, 2019.

1. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

If only one could choose mode of PE. It can switch to +CP when you need reroll saves and vise versa. It is better to buy 2 CP for 100 points, than taking engine and hope it will work as you need.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Exactly this^

Canas likes this.
  3. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

I'm mainly interested in the book do we know how long it will be before they start selling it sepratly?

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

Often times they don't...... EBAY may be your best bet.

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

well poo that's a lot of money for a book and 4 models ill never use.

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

It won't be sold separately by GW. You can buy the digital copy in all likelihood on the app though.

Imrahil and Erta Wanderer like this.
  7. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

i can live with that even if they don't my local GW store is running a vault campaign so ill see it there i just wanted to read it before hand for planing.

8. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I wonder if there are big spell lists in the book with regular spells for everyone to use.

9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The book contains the following:

- some background about the ongoing shenenigangs involving Nagash
    - Two new factions including some (limited) allegiance abilities, prayers, artifacts etc. These two factions are what the story revolves around, so one is a death allegiance combining nighthaunt and deadrattle, the other is an order army combining idoneth, SCE & fyreslayers
    - Explenation of the mercenary system
    - The new empowering artifacts (only 6 of em). They only work in a stormvault campaign though (or well, they work in any campaign, but the point is that they grow over the course of multiple battles so they're not going to be of much use outside of a campaign).
    - A bunch of battleplans to play out important battles from the fluff of the book.
    - Some fairly decent tips surrounding the painting of terrain

Also, the box comes with a set of cards with rules for the endless spells & the new terrain, and since they currently also give a set of those cards whenever you buy something I now have 2 of these sets so eh yay?

Overall a bit underwhelming. I had expected something more along the lines of the earlier endless spell box introducing more spells and artifacts. For example this book could've introduced "realm prayers" similar to the realm spells previously introduced to help the priests for factions that don't have their own prayers yet.

Also, the endless spells are fairly massive. I was under the impression the models where smaller.

Aginor likes this.
  10. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

It’s all a bit ‘meh’ but the mercenary lot could be a little change up (keep people thinking on their feet) rather than the usual ‘oh you play.....I know exactly what to expect’ lol, I like having to think up a few counters in my armies.

For example having fyreslayers means that you can now have a deep strike - alpha strike option in any army (that do a heeeeelll of a lot of damage to monsters at 18” range) will be something I will be adding to a few lists ;D

11. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

I love me some deepstriking Hearthguard berserkers with a Rune smiter to give them +1 to saves lol

12. Deed525
    Stegadon

Ai those buggers hit like meaty orange trucks, for me though it’s a 10 block of Auric heathguard with Smiter to deepstrike first turn +1 to wound on 21 18” shots at 4s/2s that deal extra damage to monsters then if somehow they don’t die -1 to hit and half movement... sick just sick oh and this will be in my gitz army - sooo good luck retaliating with a block of 60 grots with fanatics in front of them ;D
    Watch 2 units eat half the enemy army whilst the other ton of stuff goes about sitting on objectives.

13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Read a bit of the book now, the mercenary units do come with 2 drawbacks:

- The first turn you won't get a command point if you have mercenaries
    And
    - An advantage and disadvantage depending on the merceneraies you use (e.g. FEC get +1 to hit rolls if they charged in the same turn, but can't ever retreat and fyreslayers gain +1 to hit when targetting someone who charged, but lose 1 bravery from the third round onwards)

This is quite interesting imho. I do hope they'l expand upon this system eventually.

Aginor likes this.
  14. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Sounds fun looking forward to when I can get my hands on it

15. Deed525
    Stegadon

Command points mean nothing in a gitz army ;D there are 100 ways to make more

16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

yeah, that particular drawback seems unimpressive with loads of armies either having acces to more command points or not really needing them (e.g. us with a skink based army). However, it's an interesting mechanic and much much much better than simply going "you can only field X points worth of mercenaries".

The other, mercenary specific drawback I find more interesting. Fyreslayers aren't the bravest to begin with, losing a bravery will have a significant impact. And similarly FEC not being able to ever retreat leads to some interesting playstyles.

17. Deed525
    Stegadon

Yeah, I like them having additional rules - but they are one more thing to remember lol, the slayers probably won’t suffer too badly from the bravery drop - third round is a fair way off and those guys don’t have great saves without their support network anyway: D so likelihood is they will be dead and gone (as they where an alpha drop anyway) and generally not an integral part of the army to start with.

18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I'm mostly just glad they put a mechanic like this in. I hope it means we'l get more rules like this and eventually move away from a pointlimit for allies instead working with limitations like this to balance out the mixing and matching of armies.

19. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

But mercenaries still has the same point limitations which allies have. Just some more drawbacks on top of it.

20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Hence my hope we eventually move away from the point limitations and instead use drawbacks like this.