1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Don't have enough monsters? Or just want to show off your painting skills. Why not try entering the Monster Mash! - Click here for more info.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Who is your most hated Star Wars character?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Jul 12, 2017.

?

Which Star Wars character do you hate the most?

1. Anakin

2. Asoka

3. C-3PO

4. Ewoks

5. Luke

6. Jar Jar Binks

7. Captain Phasma

8. Other (specify below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Killer Angel
    OldBlood

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

So true.
    Jar Jar was a bad decision, but intentions were honestly good.
    Those characters are bad decisions, planned with hypocrisy.

2. ravagekitteh
    Bastiladon

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

I honestly don’t get the hate for Rose Tico. From my (likely soon to be corrected) perspective, it seems that you’re projecting your hatred (which I at least can partially understand, even if I don’t possess it myself) for the Canto Bight scenes and SJWs in general onto a character who, while they weren’t amazing, doesn’t seem to be massively deserving of all the condemnation. Also, my OCD requires me to inform you that Ahsoka is spelt incorrectly.

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I 100% fully agree!

Rose Tico:
    • is an absolutely boring character without a single memorable scene (at least memorable in a good way, because Canto Bight is "memorable" for all the wrong reasons)
    • adds nothing useful to the story
    • is the central protagonist of the worst scene in the entire movie
    • is only in the movie for the sake inclusivity (once again the movie is being hijack for propagation of a political agenda at the expense of story)
    • ruins Finn's heroic moment towards the end of the film (in a manner that doesn't even make sense)

On the flip side, what is good about the character? Even my most hated character, Jar Jar, was loved by (some) very young children. That can't really be said for Rose. Also Jar Jar was actually able to move toys/merchandise while Tico toy sales absolutely tanked.

Touche! :D Unfortunately it doesn't appear that it will let me correct it.

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning

Neither the droid nor Rose beats my hate for Anakin.

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Skar-Veteran

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Well-Known Member

As a Star Wars figure collector, I can confirm this.

Jar Jar figures are actually pretty rare due to the fan backlash against the character - the last figure of Jar Jar as of 2019 to be made was part of the 2012 range (I know because I was lucky enough to find one), the vast majority of characters in which were Prequel characters. While this range continued to be produced until 2014 (they didn’t release a new range in 2013), when the 2014 range did come out, the 2012 figures sold like hot cakes, including the Jar Jar ones - there must be at least a few people out there who like him enough to buy a figure of him (or don’t hate him so much that they will collect every figure except Jar Jar ones). Compare this to the 2017 Last Jedi range - I have been to several places where Rose figures were the only ones on shelves as all the characters were being bought except her, and there are several videos among the Star Wars figure collecting community that extensively talk about it.

For the record, I have been to some places where there are still figures left from the 2015 Force Awakens line, so 7 can’t have been that popular either, certainly not compared to Episodes I-VI, although the fact that Hasbro changed their act from producing one line of good-quality figures to producing a line of pretty poor 5 Point of Articulation figures and a line of excellent quality figures (the Black Series/resurrected Vintage Collection) in 2014 may also be a factor in this.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Anakin is definitely tougher to ignore. L3 has a much more limited role and you can easily skip over Rose scenes without losing any significant plot points.

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. ChapterAquila92
    Razordon

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

It's hard for me not to pick on the sequel trilogy. With that said, I've only watched Ep 7 so far and my experience with Ep 8 has been second-hand only.

Villain-wise, Kylo Ren. I'm not sure whether it's because of his psychotically childish temper tantrums or the fact that he's trying too hard to be Darth Vader 2.0 when he really wasn't, but those are the only reasons why I find him memorable at all.

Hero-wise, Rei and, to a lesser extent, Finn, specifically for their characterizations. I'd really chalk it up to poor writing, but as they stand the two characters don't really reflect their origins well.

Finn, being a former stormtrooper who broke ranks and deserted from the First Order on short notice, not only seemed to make the act look trivial when it most likely shouldn't have been but then almost immediately became a bumbling joke character whose moments of competence barely had time to shine before being overshadowed by everyone else.

Rei rubbed off on me as something of a Mary Sue-esque genderbent Luke Skywalker whose sole reason for wanting to return to Jakku in Ep 7 was to wait for whoever left her there, which to me felt antithetical to the adventuring hero we generally expect out of a main character. Having her instead wanting to go out into the greater galaxy to find out who they were, where they went off to, and even what happened to them would have been a much better motivation for her to get caught up in the events that take place.