1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Wannabe lizard wizard… Toltecatl's lil' lizzards and stuff!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Toltecatl, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Toltecatl
    Razordon

Toltecatl Well-Known Member

@Jorgik yeah i'm def considering trying one :) I've been thinking about it since I got back to modelling a couple months ago… been browsing the internet as well and found loads of astounding stuff. so i'm kinda feeling like veering towards it.
    Actually one of the bases for my assault sternguard may turn out to be a mini-diorama (with 1 more model only, though). I'm trying to figure out how to make it look realistic and hopefully I'll be posting soon! :)

So have you tried it yourself? Youve already got a nice set of terrain elements

2. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

No I haven´t, but I´d love to. They must be so fun to make :D

Toltecatl likes this.
  3. Toltecatl
    Razordon

@Jorgik (sorry for the late reply, for some reason I dont get alerts everytime someone posts on the blog :/)

yeah i'd hope so. when you love the models, plus like making terrain and basing your models i guess it's something you're naturally drawn to (you of all people would know indeed)… now we'll see how that turns out already, and maybe, who knows, i could do some lizard diorama one of these days. When I'm more experienced :p
    More pics to come soon anyway!! :D

Jorgik likes this.
  4. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

No need to apologize, you weren´t the one who posted one week later than what he initially promised... ;)

Toltecatl likes this.
  5. Toltecatl
    Razordon

lol noone will hold that against you either :D

Jorgik likes this.
  6. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Looking forward to seeing more Lizards!

Speaking of Lizards, I see you are considering Salamanders? They are indeed a great chapter to burn the enemies of the Emperor with, and are also GREEN which helps immensely. I have a small force of green-painted Black Templars myself (heresy, I know, but their fluff is inspired by the Knights of Lazarus so its ok).

I have some inspirational artwork for you, I think from one of the black library books, my favorite salamander picture:

Salamanders 40K.jpg

And I came across these guys while I was searching for this picture. Forgeworld is coming out with a lot of Horus Heresy era models, and the Salamander edition are known as the Pyroclasts.

Salamanders pyroclasts.jpg

With your green-stuff skills/painting skills I am sure your marines will turn out fantastic! Also a great opportunity to use leftover scaly Lizardmen bits.

Good luck in your painting endeavors! Looking forward to more pictures.

Toltecatl, NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  7. Toltecatl
    Razordon

holy Warp, thanks for the material! I absolutely do consider salamanders. I want to paint scale effects (thanks @neveroddoreven ;)), test some stuff i'll be using with lizards and just have fun with green and orange tones. Thanks a lot again @Warden . Since you're being so nice I absolutely won't be telling the Inquisition about your Templars.

I'll be painting soon actually (or so I hope). The bases are almost done, here's a pic of the last two, along with two of my knights' bases (it's all still WIP) :D
    Plus a bonus: two Fenryll lizardmen I recently found (I thought i'd share it with you guys though it's not GW stuff) and two more recent purchases, a TG unit and a Starpriest - so many lovely models. Also bought some fake water, and I might get some skinks from a friend soon (for free!! yay! - or maybe just a beer or two…).
    Its all gonna be fun, I reckon.
    DSCN0059.JPG
    DSCN0057.JPG

Bracnos, Bowser, Warden and 2 others like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Woah I like those bases ;)

Bowser and Toltecatl like this.
  9. Toltecatl
    Razordon

I had a look. and maaan what did I find… what a model:
    FW_SALAMANDERS-LEGION-FIREDRAKES-3.jpg
    thanks so much for letting me know about these. whenever i can get my hands on them… ^^

Bracnos, Bowser, Warden and 1 other person like this.
  10. Toltecatl
    Razordon

thanks! hopefully they'll turn out alright, it's my first attempt at that kind of stuff… If all goes well i'll be adding some (fake of course) painted glass to one of these arches… yet another challenge :D
    there is a flipside to unrestrained base development tho… i'm gonna need to make separate normal-sized bases, otherwise i'll never be able to field these guys (and they are after all one of the bests assault units in the game. lol)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Bracnos and Bowser like this.
  11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

12. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I totally think you can pull these dudes off, especially with your green-stuff experiements! Also they would look awesome!

YES!!!!!! I have seen these before. Most of the pictures on this link didn't work for me, but here is one to the blog:

The Lost Chapter, Dinos in SPAAACE by Hiveminion

Bowser likes this.
  13. Toltecatl
    Razordon

oh myyy that dino marine army looks really, really funny.

@Warden def hoping I can get them sometime. 60 quid though… let's say later :p

Warden and Bowser like this.
  14. mousekiller
    Saurus

mousekiller Well-Known Member

Very anxious to see these gates! Awesome idea.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Me too. I think they are going to look great.

16. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Itepixcauh Stranded Ghekkotah Staff Member

I'm marveled at how creative people are with terrain. Great WIP, I want to see that painted!

Toltecatl likes this.
  17. Toltecatl
    Razordon

@mousekiller , @NIGHTBRINGER , @Itepixcauh Thanks guys :D i'll do my best to get the painting going asap! @mousekiller actually one of them should be just an open arch, and the second one will have some painted glass instead of a door, I decided it should be a window… with a roman-ish shape, very round as opposed to most of the gothic stuff (I'm pretty fond of a significant part of Roman architecture so I should be doing more of the same kind of terrain)

BTW, i dunno if someone is in need of arch templates but I just stumbled upon this on the web (it's a german company that casts it i think… even though i'm not planning on buying it i find it a great inspiration for simple yet aesthetic and realistic detailed parts, so thought i'd share it with you guys :D) :
    Gelaende-Bauteile-Fenster-Set-5-p.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    n810, Bowser and Warden like this.
  18. Toltecatl
    Razordon

So, "petit à petit l'oiseau fait son nid"…
    Had a great time yesterday spending a couple hours on our miniatures, and the WIP is making some progress. Thought i'd share.

The arch on the right still has to receive some kind of vertical middle bar to which i'll be sticking the plastic sheet i'm planning on using for my "painted glass". Also, i want to add some details to the top stone of both arches (the one on the right isnt even complete yet, i need to finish making the "stones" first): I think skulls and purity seals should do the trick, or any other Emperor or death or space marines-glorifying token (maybe a SM helmet, which I could paint as though it was sculpted, or even a bolter or sth? Any thoughts?).
    Hope it'll turn out alright.

Other than that, i may need some advice from you guys… I've decided, as you may know, to convert my 'start collecting' set warriors into TG's by adding some details. I can't make them bulkier, that would take years and years and the result would prob suck.
    So i've decided to start using greenstuff moulds for the boney helmets, which are a very precise and delicate part. I'm hoping it'll turn out fine…
    Also, i found another detail I want to reproduce: a skull is always useful in any Warhammer composition. So on the pic you can see the two first-attempt moulds in the making, i really hope i'll pull it off.
    Have you guys ever experimented with GS moulds? I used this tutorial, the guy seems to have it figured out pretty well (and on top of that he's french too… nah just kiddin, no need for jingoism here :p).. If someone has got experience to share I'm all ears. @Warden I see you've tried it quite extensively on Bretonnians? :D
    DSCN0061.JPG

Jorgik, Bowser, Bracnos and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

I was having issues with making molds with gs and then I found out about blue stuff this other brand oyumaru

That are awesome some hot water and you have a mold with all the details. Best part once done you can heat it up again and boom new mold :eek:

Here is a pic of it and my results with it and the suffering it's self

20160326_194745.jpg

This way you don't have to waste gs to make the mold hope this helps ;)

20. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Whre did you get that oyumaru? And how much is it? It looks promising I might buy it

Nice arches by the way!! They look real good. Anyways, are these for your space marines? That's a huge level of detail on normal models ;)

Warden and Bowser like this.