1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Cageyblood's Corner - Oldblood on Carnosaur DONE

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Cageyblood, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Cageyblood Well-Known Member

Quick little shot of a skink. The one on the left was done probably 6-8 months ago and the one on the right was today. While the improvements are subtle, they are also noticable (mostly in the face) and encouraging. I've improved more than I realized.
    20190710_124309.jpg 20190710_124330.jpg

Nazqua, Warden, ASSASSIN_NR_1 and 4 others like this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Good job!
    (In fact both look better than mine. :D )

Nazqua and Cageyblood like this.
  3. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Update! Not taken many photos lately cause i've mostly been working on infantry and trying to bang them out to a passable standard, but i thought i should post because I serendipitously hit two milestones at the same time
    1) I finished off my saurus warrior 40 unit and
    2) I hit my 100th mini completed for the year!
    While progress has been slower than I'd like and I can say with certainty that I won't get my challenge done this year, hitting the milestones still feels nice. It also feels good to be finishing off a unit which I started working on over a year ago, even if the paint job is very basic.

saurus group 1.jpg saurus group 2.jpg saurus group 3.jpg

Nazqua, Warden, ASSASSIN_NR_1 and 5 others like this.
  4. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

As a reward for doing a big batch of infantry, I'm trying to paint a project to as high a standard as I reasonably can. Part of that project is a bloat toad that came out (I think) really good. Feedback more than welcome.
    toad 1.1.jpg toad 1.2.jpg toad 1.3.jpg

5. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Working further on this project, I'm nearly finished the Slann throne, the only bits not done are the 'tusks' as I was using them to hold the model. Again, pretty chuffed how this came out, especially the decapitated head. Flesh and skin is something I've struggled with in the past but I think it turned out really great and gives a nice bit of character to the model.
    throne 1.1.jpg throne 1.2.jpg throne close.jpg

Nazqua, Warden, Imrahil and 5 others like this.
  6. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

The decapitated head is definitely something that draws the most attention to, so make sure that gold thingie is shaded well ;)
    Second attention bringer is this adorable skink <3

Vegetation turned out quite nicely, but I think the frogs and snakes need some more love.

Crowsfoot and Cageyblood like this.
  7. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Thanks, yeah I think those two are the showstoppers of the piece so far.

I agree with your point about the other little dudes, tho its tricky to get something that small to pop without making it "oops all highlights" but I'll see what I can do

Nazqua, Crowsfoot and bOdziO Wolf like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Very nice, you have come along way in the past 12 months.

Nazqua and Cageyblood like this.
  9. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Looking really good with the slanns throne. I also really liked your skinks, slowly combing through your blog!

Nazqua, Crowsfoot and Cageyblood like this.
  10. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

childishknight Well-Known Member

Those skinks look great!

Nazqua, Cageyblood and Crowsfoot like this.
  11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Just brighten the heads that should do it.

Nazqua likes this.
  12. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Finished off my latest project. Pretty chuffed with how it turned out, aside from a few minor niggles. Probably some of the best highlighting I've done so far, and the kitbash turned out better than I could have hoped. So without further ado...
    20191118_013817.jpg 20191118_013545.jpg 20191118_013614.jpg 20191118_013958.jpg 20191118_013652.jpg

Here it is!

I made no secret that I hated the resin slann model, and if you go back a few pages you'll see me sculpt a greenstuff skull helmet. I still hated the model after doing that so I sat on this project for ages until I had the brainwave to use a bloat toad and make the piece more comedic. It still makes me smile seeing these guys haul around a giant-ass throne for this little frog, who I'm sure could make their heads explode just by thinking about it. A combination of kitbashing to make it my own, a dash of old-school style warhammer humor, and a paint job I'm proud of make this probably my favorite thing I've painted so far, but there is always room for improvement, so C+C is welcome. :)

13. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

While it is hard for me to understand why someone would dislike the Slann (IMO it is one of our best looking models) I do like your approach, it looks hilarious! (And well painted.)

Nazqua, Cageyblood and childishknight like this.
  14. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

Looks great! I would add a wash on top of the gold just to knock down that shine some (unless you like it nice an shiny, then more power to you!) I love the concept. I have the old school metal slann and throne which weighs a TON and it's very hard to mount on the clear plastic stand. You move the model too fast, and the plastic pole will snap in half. Say what you will about resin, but anything is better then a giant hunk of metal.

Cageyblood likes this.
  15. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

True, I'm certain it is better than metal, but I'm spoiled having gotten into the hobby so recently. Basically I've only ever worked in plastic, so I dont know how good I have it.

Nazqua likes this.
  16. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

So, onto the next project. Saurus knights, another model I've been putting off. I have about half of them assembled from ages ago, and am doing a few new things assembling the other half. Firstly I'm doing the top halves seperatley, mounting them on paperclips with a drill as an experiment to see if this is a good way to make a "handle" for smaller sub assembly bits. I've seen folks do similar things with heads and such. The other thing is to mess around with modeling epoxy (like greenstuff) to get the notoriously poorly fitting bits of this kit to fit together better and add more dynamism to the poses. I want to do some really ambitious stuff with this epoxy so this is good practice.
    20191120_174332.jpg 20191120_174311.jpg

Warden, Imrahil, Aginor and 1 other person like this.
  17. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

Epoxy is fun, but there is certainly a learning curve. It looks like you have a good handle of how much to use on those shoulder joints without making it squish out

Cageyblood and Lizerd like this.
  18. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Because I'm incapable of working on one project at a time, I'm doing a chaos project using some secondhand bits I picked up and the remnants of my failed manticore kitbash. First bit of the project to be completed is the sorcerer lord from the manticore kit and I love how he turned out.

chaos sorcerer lord.png
    I think between the flayed skin cloaks to the gowing magic-y bits to the magical weapons I am probably 90% of the way to knowing how to do all my chaos stuff going forward which is a huge deal as I am so prone to indecision. The only real question left is how I want to do bare human skin.

C+C absolutely welcome. :)

Nazqua, Aginor, Warden and 3 others like this.
  19. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I do not know this model enough to know for sure, but is the cloak sown together in the sculpt or is it all freehand?
    cause damn that looks nice!

Great fan of the scythe-blade as well:artist::artist:

Gr, Imrahil

Cageyblood likes this.
  20. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

The stitchwork and handprints are all freehand, thanks kindly :)

Nazqua, Aginor and Explodingzeb like this.