1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS NEW *rumor*

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Logan8054, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Wasn't this general sentiment essentially your same problem with gargants? And lumineth? If everything feels unfun, maybe its not the game thats the problem but what you're looking for from it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    Titchy_Stryder and Erta Wanderer like this.
  2. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Morathi still takes extra mortal wounds from endless spells during the time between turns right? If so I still have no issue with the way she works.

Erta Wanderer and Putzfrau like this.
  3. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Aww man, Allopexes now have a 14" move. I liked that we had some of the fastest flying units with our (potentially) effective but fragile Terradons. :(

EDIT: Okay, in looking a bit more, we don't necessarily have the "fastest" units.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  4. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Assuming the rule stays the same, she would!

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  5. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

I'm not a HUGE fan of the new unique books becoming "necessary" to play your army. But, GW has to make $$ off of it's current armies in some way I suppose. It would be cool to eventually see one that centers around (or even just involves) Seraphon. Many others have already mentioned this, but it would be good to get mount traits and/or updated rules. However, since we were one of the last battletomes to update, that will likely be a LONG ways off.

6. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

I like it as a good way to bring armies that aren't exactly horrible (or are way too mono build) a little love. Like the idoneth book is OOOOLD but its still amazing. It just needs a little twist here and there to give it some depth, and I feel like with new books you always run into the potential sylvaneth problem.

Just A Skink likes this.
  7. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Wait, how does that work?

8. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Forgive me, but what's the "Sylvaneth problem"? Is their current book just bad?

9. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

they went from having an amazing, if a little wonky/unfun/monobuild book to being totally gutted of anything that made them good.

10. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

very very bad yes worse then their old one

Putzfrau likes this.
  11. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Endless spells moving happens before the round starts so it doesnt count against the max 3 wounds.

Just A Skink and Erta Wanderer like this.
  12. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

a good way to make $ off of old armies would be to make new models of old sculpts

Tyranitar, Tk'ya'pyk and Just A Skink like this.
  13. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Even though I agree, because I would LOVE updated sculpts to old models, I think paper is cheaper than plastic.

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

No it doesn't. A mix of being clever & lucky is all that's needed. Engage in fights where she gets to strike first and kills (or at least maims) her opponent and thus is (relativly) safe. A few lucky saves here and there, supplemented with the occasional defensive buff. And you're quite quickly going to run into a situation where either she's immortal or is about to be immortal unless you now dedicate yourself to killing her.

And again, it's not powerfull enough to be a general problem. It's not going to happen terribly often. But when it does happen its going to be frustrating, because its one of the few mechanics where a mistake can't be fixed, no matter how lucky you are or how big an advantage you otherwise hold.

It'l take her a while, but she'l win. Add in her magical abilities and she'l win surprisingly quickly. Its true that she might not always be able to kill the skinks quickly enough for it to matter, but those skinks are going to lose. And being able to force your opponent to send support to an objective simply because a puny wizard threatens it is quite a usefull tool, especially when said wizard doesn't particularly care about any retaliation.

Also, again, not something that's going to be a general problem. But whenever she does succeed at it it's going to feel annoying because you end up completly fighting on her terms. And most of this depends on the DoK player. If he is clever, has a bit of luck and uses the rest of his army well there's only so much you're going to be able to do to avoid the potential issues. Should you be able to avoid both morathi forms charging something valuable? Most of the time, probably; but you're not always going to succeed at it. And whenever they do end up both tying up something valuable and soaking a buttload of damage with their heart of iron it's going to be frustrating because there isn't necesarly all that much you can do about it.

You only have so many screens to slow them down. There's only so many objectives to contest. If say the only relevant objective is in the same corner of the battlefield as both morathi's you don't exactly have much of a choice.

It has potential as an interesting mechanic. If this is the only thing they end up doing with it then I'd agree it's dissapointing to say the least as it doesn't really do much currently, apart from giving an excuse for having both forms out at once.

Nope, Lumineth are fine enough, though I dislike Teclis essentially cancelling magic unless you bring the likes of Kroak/Nagash/etc. yourself. Though this is as much an issue with the magic system in general as it is with Teclis specificly. And their tendency to have mortal wounds on everything is annoying, but their output is still low enough to be acceptable.

Gargants I dislike because its a faction that relies purely on 1 gimmick that's pushed to its extremes, which is rarely a good thing.

DoK in general are fine, it's purely the heart of iron rule I take issue with.

15. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

I meant more in the sense that "xyz and is going to be frustrating and unfun for most players to deal with."

And i had thought you had similar complaints about lumineth before they came out, sorry could have been someone else.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  16. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

LordBaconBane Well-Known Member

Stop it. Stop making sense.

17. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

For Morathi Whats the word on mortal wounds? Does she take a limit on those as well? Or can I just nuke her turn 1 and trample over the remains?

18. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

mortal wounds that do not come from endless spells are treated the same as all other damage so no dice.

19. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

rare but can happen but any thing she can do this to is not much of a threat so not a lot of help. if she does have a target to do this to does she have 3? and if she does have 3 can she do it safely so she doesn't get tide up in a actual fight? and this is also assuming the opponent has no shooting, deap strikes, or spells of any kind. so it won't work against CoS, IJ, StD, IDK, skaven, DoZ, FeC, Seraphon, KO, LRL, GSG, Ogres, fire slayers, or for that matter other DoK lists. even if she does make it into the end game and immortality (a hard ask as most games are over by turn 3) she will be profiled. after all she is a monster or the rest of her army is dead as they would have to be fighting 500 points down due to morathy playing it very very safe.

20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

might have been me. For both Teclis & the Gargants its the case that they are extremes in their particular niche who rely on their raw stats/basic warscroll rules to do their thing. Because they rely on raw stats & the basic rules on their warscroll there isn't much an opponent can do other than suffer through them. Which is frustrating when your prefered play-style is hard-countered by them as the Gargant/Lumineth player doesn't really need to do anything clever to take advantage of it.

E.g. if you like bringing 1-2 minor wizards for magical support they're essentially going to be useless when facing Teclis, no matter what you do. The lumineth player doesn't really have to do anything to achieve this, Teclis just needs to exist.

Because these units occupy such an extreme in their niche they end up dictating how your opponent has to respond as there's only going to be a few viable options to respond to such an extreme with. Which isn't fun if you like a playstyle that doesn't fit in with those remaining viable options.

A similar issue goes for Morathi, where her heart of iron rule dictates how an opponent has to respond to her, as there's only 1 way to actually kill her.

Now obviously this doesn't necesarly mean they're broken. Morathi is easy enough to deal with by shooting her for example. However, the fact remains that she still gets to dictate your movements for a few turns as no matter what you're going to have to deal those 3 wounds a turn if you want to take her out. Is that difficult or overpowered? No. But it does result in a situation where you're probably going to be forced to waste attacks on her because her heart of iron will absorb some damage. Now if that gets combined with it being 2 units with a shared healthpool you're going to waste even more attacks if the DoK player takes advantage of that.And there's fairly little you can actually do to avoid this. Which just kind of sucks.