1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Funfacts!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DeathBringer125, Nov 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

Yus! Rhyming is a necessity in my book.

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

In my opinion it's not impossible to make a good poem that doesn't rhyme, it's just really hard to do.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  3. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I won a Sony HD television, DVD multi-disc player and surround sound system by playing a Star Wars trivia contest on the radio. It was back when the Prequel Trilogy finished. However, it was a tube TV that weighed about 350 lbs! I still lugged it with me through moves, but I finally had to part with it in 2019.

4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I won a bunch of stuff in grade school from selling popcorn. I was genuinely sad when the clock radio/alarm clock I've been using from age 10 through 20 broke forever.

College loft, clock high above the ground. Fell, hit ground.

(I did win some autographed sports memorabilia that I still have in a protective case)

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  5. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Funfacts, huh?

1: I am deathly scared of heights, but if there is a RAILING I can hold on to, I'm usually fine-ish... but the last time I tried to climb on the roof of my house to repair the chimney I was so scared I couldn't get more than 3 feet up the roof and almost pissed myself. :facepalm:

2: At some point, I owned miniatures and small battle forces for EVERY Warhammer Fantasy Battles army made from 4th edition up until 7th edition (yes, including Chaos Dwarves, but all I had for them was a tiny force of Hobgoblins). Not EVERY mini for EVERY army, but I had examples from each. :joyful:

3: I majored in History in college and have a B.A. from a state university, along with a couple of minors on top of that. It would have been several MAJORS, but that brings us to fact #4... :meh:

4: I am incapable of learning new spoken languages. I can get by in Spanish (Central American dialect) kind of, but have tried (and failed) to learn: Latin, Greek, Russian, French, German, and Japanese. No, I do not know why, but I have moderately bad ADD and OCD, which may have contributed to this issue... o_O

5: Many college majors require you to learn other languages! It depends on the college/university, but if you cannot learn them, you cannot get a degree in that major! See #3 for how I learned that one. :rolleyes:

6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

To be honest, I quote like poetry that doesn't rhyme but uses clever phrases and metaphors to communicate a concept.

(Yes Scalenex, I know that this is also reflected in my writing :) )

Imrahil likes this.
  7. Infinity Turtle
    Temple Guard

Infinity Turtle Well-Known Member

Okay my response to a lot of this thread:

Countries I've been too:
    Australia (home)
    New Zealand (thrice)
    Cambodia

wow. yay. good job me.

2. The first movie I ever saw was technically The Two Towers a few days after I was born. I can safely say that has shaped my life and I am addicted butidonthaveaproblempleasedontjudgemeijustthinklordoftheringsisoneofthegreatestcreationsofhumankindjustabovethepyramidsandjustbelowchocolate.

3. I play guitar, piano and I sing. I write songs and have been for the past 6 years.

[​IMG]

I never realised that whether lyrics rhymed or not didn't bother me until I was listening to They Might Be Giants (who's lyrics are incredibly abstract and non sequitur) and I went "my goodness that didn't rhyme! I never realised" in my 18 years of non-stop listening to them, and I realised that their music is full of lines like this, and then I realised I didn't care. This is sometimes reflected in my own songs that contain non-rhyming lyrics, and even though I wrote them, it sometimes takes me several weeks or years to realise they don't rhyme at all.

I've written some free verse poems in the past that I adore, and considering I'm generally very self-critical, I'm willing to accept free verse and non rhyming poetry as an equal form of art.

Also more than words that don't rhyme, words that are out of place for the sake of a rhyme bother me so much more...

5. I'm allowed to say Doctor Who is one of my favourite shows even if I haven't seen the original series.

6. Primeval is great and underrated. Watch it. It has dinosaurs. Also Firefly is incredible and i love it.

7. River Monsters is the greatest thing in the world and Jeremy Wade is a bloody legend

8. I graduated grade 12 under Qld's new system and we lost an entire assessment unit per subject because of COVID, but I hate chemistry, so I'm not crying over it... much

9. I play netball and water polo, though both of these were put on hold in 2020 cause of COVID. Fingers crossed I'll play one or both this year at uni

10. haiku's are hilarious in English, especially because "this is a haiku" is 5 syllables and the most common first line of english haikus.

11. I can quote an alarming amount of Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings, The Avengers, The Princess Bride, Pitch Black, Hellboy, Star Wars ep 2 and (pretty much all of) the 2003 animated Star Wars the Clone Wars off by heart

Okay I'm done

8. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I still remember the entirety of the merchant's introduction to Aladdin (cartoon version) even though I saw it about 25 years ago. :)

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I saw Aladdin once on the television. For some reason, at least to me personally, it was one of the most forgettable Disney films I’ve ever watched.

My favourite Disney (not Pixar) movies are the following (in no particular order):
    The Black Cauldron (watched this one only recently and thought it really good - I can see why this one was labelled too dark for the 80s, and why in the modern era, where PG kids movies are the norm rather than the exception, it has gained a cult following)
    The Jungle Book (the charm, humour and action of this one are a hit with me)
    Robin Hood (same reasons as The Jungle Book)
    The Emperor’s New Groove (the crazy silliness of this one always has me laughing)
    Hercules (principally due to James Woods’ marvellous performance as Hades)
    Basil the Great Mouse Detective (probably the most British of Disney animations, with Vincent Price on great form as Professor Ratigan)

Honourable mentions:
    Dumbo (loved this one when I was little, even if one or two scenes made me cry)
    Bambi (same reasons as Dumbo)
    Hundred and One Dalmatians (Another Britain-set film with some good characters)
    Dinosaur (Exciting plot and the CGI has held up remarkably well despite its age)
    The Sword in the Stone (specifically for the Magic duel between Merlin and Madam Mim, what a brilliant scene)

My favourite Pixar films (in no particular order):
    Toy Story 1, 2 and 3 (great films obviously, particularly 2 in my personal opinion, don’t have much of a wish to watch 4 because there are rumours they tried to change Bo Peep into a female supremacist icon)
    Ratatouille (a great feel-good film with its fair share of funny moments)
    A Bug’s Life (An underrated one I think, with a menacing villain and a good plot)
    Finding Nemo and Dory (the first one is a classic, the second one, while maybe not as good, was still faithful to the original and nicely done)
    Wall-E (Fantastic film which portrays quite a haunting potential future for Earth, with a single supercorporation ruling the world, rubbish everywhere and humans having become as fat and immobile as Hutts)

Imrahil likes this.
  10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I don’t see anything wrong with that, there’s nothing forcing anyone to travel all across the world, especially as there are a lot of countries that are still truly awful places. Some people just aren’t interested in travelling, I’m one of them, and I’m blooming proud of it.
    I have, and I think it’s great too - especially the epic theme music :headphone: Another gem from the chaps who made Prehistoric Park

I’ve never seen that myself but a friend of mine at school was obsessed with it.

I can quote an alarming amount of all three films in the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, so you’re not alone :D

Infinity Turtle likes this.
  11. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

More fun fact? Okay.

6: All new lists should start with the number 6 (Brikwars Rule #6).

7: Brikwars is a wargame that uses Lego minifigures. I highly recommend you check it out, if only for laughs. https://brikwars.com/

8: I'm pretty sure most people in the WORLD can sing Disney songs. If I (just for fun) get one stuck in my head and hum or sing a few bars while at work, someone else WILL pick up where I leave off!

9: Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride was played by Mandy Patinkin, who also happened to have a singing career!

10: I was, apparently, born about 30 years too late. Had I been born in the 40's or 50's, I could have had a successful career as a jingle writer for commercials. I have a knack for coming up with song lyrics off the top of my head, about whatever topic strikes my fancy at the time.

11:.... I like the BBC show Top Gear. Not the US version (though that one is okay), but the original UK version with Clarkson, May, and Hammond (I'm not fond of the recast episodes and stopped watching them). A friend got me interested in it back in season 3 of the show and I've been watching ever since, including the Amazon-Prime-sponsored Grand Tour reboot.

12. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Most kids from the 90s would say that their favourite movie growing up was a a Disney movie. For me, it was a toss-up between Zulu and Kelly's Heroes.

13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I've seen Zulu about 5 times. Brilliant movie. Ironically I also watched it while growing up, but definitely was an OLD movie at that point (I'm 36).

14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Good movie. Even if i like more "Zulu Dawn" (same war, different outcome)

15. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Both great movies! Quit it with them negative waves, Moriarity!

16. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

Yeah, Donald Sutherland's role as Oddball practically made the movie for me. Clint Eastwood and Don Pickle were close seconds for their respective characters being incredibly memorable as well.

17. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

That and a tank that shoots paintball rounds. :D

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  18. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Funfacts about Warhammer....

1: Space Marines used to have jet-bikes. Kind of like the ones the Custodes ride now, but smaller, a little more streamlined. That was a long time ago though. Rogue Trader-era days.

[​IMG]

2: Chaos Marauders used to have chariots, and bows. Yes, Warriors of Chaos had archers.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3: The Empire had a chariot! Sort of. It was the War Wagon.

[​IMG]
    Six riders, armed with experimental weaponry. This was the debut of the Hochland Long Rifle, the Repeater Handgun, and other weaponry...

19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Ha! I remember the War Wagon! That was good stuff.

Imrahil likes this.
  20. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran