1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Rank your favourite WFB armies!

Discussion in 'Other Armies Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Sep 5, 2021.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It's never too late!

Bowser likes this.
  2. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

BrotherSutek Well-Known Member

Hahahaha! It is right now sadly. If the new version of Fantasy starts the community again then possibly. As it is I haven't had a game in over a year and my main interest is in painting what I have and getting the models I need for the armies I already own. In specific if I can find Dogs of War...Asarnil the Dragonlord in particular...

Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's fair enough.

Good luck. Took a quick look through Ebay, and they're expensive. If you are patient enough though, you'll eventually snag a good deal.

4. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

Trust me I know! I have a source for many of them but the Dragonlord is tough. Need to find old horses as well as I have a few Al Muktar but no horse for them.

Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Speaking as someone who tediously and patiently built up his collection mostly through Ebay, this is real sooth here...

The only thing I would add @BrotherSutek is keep sending offers whenever you can. You'll be surprised. Some people are getting kind of desperate to sell and snap up a cheap offer.

Bowser, NIGHTBRINGER and BrotherSutek like this.
  6. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

True, true but usually the Dogs of War are going to insane prices and people don't go down. It's a still a good idea and I will try it. Asarnil will be mine!

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It's always the best when you come across such great deals. I've picked up several warhammer items over the years on Ebay at a third or even as low as a fifth of their average sale value.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

So I'm always joking that @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl and I have opposite tastes and opinions on just about everything (at least everything that is largely for fun and inconsequential). So I decided to use our lists and put the theory to a mathematical test. I compared my choices to that of @Lizards of Renown , @Imrahil and @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl . Each of these gentlelizards had lists without any ties/groups, so it was easy to tally by how much our choices differed.

The "differential" in each column represents how much my choice differed with each of theirs. The lower the number, the more similar (with "0" being an exact match) and the higher the number the more dissimilar our choices were.

upload_2021-10-9_20-53-38.png

Indeed, the theory holds. My choices were most dissimilar to that of @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl . :p I suppose no one is surprised. He's still one of my favourite forum members though! :)

Bowser, Imrahil, custodi and 4 others like this.
  9. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

Still no Dogs of War...

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Maybe when The Old World rolls around!

Bowser and BrotherSutek like this.
  11. custodi
    Skink

custodi Member

If they'd had a book in 6th or 7th I probably would have included them. Still, The Old World is looking to include Cathay and Kislev, so there's some hope for them in the future.

Bowser, NIGHTBRINGER and BrotherSutek like this.
  12. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

I know, I'm teasing but really hate not seeing them. If for the models alone I love that army the most.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

At least they have some small semblance of representation here

Bowser and BrotherSutek like this.
  14. Knoffles
    Saurus

Knoffles Member

Great idea for a thread my choices and the reason for them are going to likely jump around a bit

1. Wood Elves
    The GW range contains some of my all time favourite models, from one of my first purchases of Skarloc’s archers (back in 3rd) to the 4th ed waywatchers. So it’s primarily the aesthetic appeal of them that puts them top. It’s one army that I’ve always enjoyed collecting. I like the challenging nature of their play style too.

2. Dwarves (yes I use the Tolkien spelling). These bought me back to the game and are my largest army. I love their lore, especially in the 8th book where they started to get a bit of hope. I also enjoy playing them and although they have slipped from my current favourites to field, I probably have played more games of 8th with them, then any other.

3. Beastmen
    I have fallen in love with this army over the last 5 years. Out of all of my armies, this is the one that I would choose to play with as it is just such fun to use. Yes the points of half the units in 8th are just too high but there is no denying their effectiveness on the tabletop. I love seeing the expression on opponents faces when ‘one of the weakest armies’ stomps all over them because they’ve rarely faced them and just didn’t know what to expect. Sure it doesn’t always go that way and it’s another army that I really enjoy the challenge of using. It also taught me how to use chaff more effectively than in any other army.

4. Orc and Goblins
    The army that started in all for me. I love the chaos, the randomness and the lore. The fact that snotlings are there so even beaten down goblins have someone to pick on. What’s not to love. And pump wagons. Let’s not forget them!

5. Undead/Vampire Counts
    Together with OnG and Wood elves, this was the 3rd army that I picked up when I started playing (well perhaps army is stretching it). At that point there wasn’t a split between VC and TK though there was a great big lump of metal called Nagash by Gary Morley that quite often found itself in my list. I loved the big freak but when the VC book was released in 5th I found myself going down that route (probably as the TK was a Nigel Stillman WD list and wasn’t released until later) but mainly as the Von Carstein story very much appealed to me (and still does).

6. Bretonnia
    Massed cavalry and King Arthur. Need you say more? Ah you can. Ok Robin Hood, Little John and Friar Tuck minis from 5th edition .

7. Lizardmen
    The ability to take a full monster mash and the option to really go to town with bright colours and different paint schemes. I quite like the lore too.

8. High Elves
    Purely down to the miniatures. They have one of the best ranges for individual metal characters (I can’t say how many mage models I have) and the Cav is good too. They would probably be higher if I weren’t so fed up of coming across the Alarielle/WL horde. Thankfully I don’t run that and subscribe more to The Cavalry Prince style.

9. Tomb Kings
    Probably entirely down to the Nagash trilogy of books and a hangover to the duel undead 4th ed book.

10. The Empire
    I quite like the Empire, especially how to be effective you have to synergise everything with each other.

11. Skaven
    The biggest single threat to everything else in the old world, if only they didn’t spent as much time back stabbing each other. I could definitely see them as my next army if it weren’t for the thought of having to paint yet another horde army!

12. Warriors
    Again, I don’t dislike warriors. fnjoy the lore and how warriors are constantly seeking to challenge and grow stronger. I haven’t enjoyed novels based around warriors as much as others though and have faced them just a few too many times on the table, with some of the often occurring builds to rate them higher.

13. Chaos Dwarves
    You can’t hate a race that creates Black Orcs and thus the greatest of that kind... Morglum Necksnapper (no arguing, he is. All others are young whippersnappers). But with my love of normal dwarves, they obviously can’t rate near the top!

14. Ogres
    I just don’t enjoy the aesthetic look of the more modern ogres with the moustaches and large bellies. It probably boils down to some of the old lead ogres being up there as models I really wish I own.

15. Dark Elves
    Although I actually quite like the models, especially the most recent dark shards, I have an intense dislike of DEs. I’m putting it entirely down to the lore. Like all warhammer lore, I enjoy reading it but I just couldn’t warm to the race at all.

16. Daemons of Chaos
    I could just never warm to these. I don’t particularly like the models and it might be because they are the only army that isn’t actually based in the old world.

15. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

This is fun, time to make a new list!
    1. Lizardmen- first introduction into the hobby and still my favorite
    2. Bretonnia- second WHF army and best human faction because I loved Adventures of Robin Hood, Ivan Hoe, and King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table as a kid.
    3. Dwarfs- because the animated version of the Hobbit is probably what got me interested in fantasy as a kid. Never collected any, wish I had during WHF's heyday. Someday I will collect some dwarfs.
    4. Orcs and Goblins- because they are funny. I have a few of the savage orcs, love that kit
    5. Wood Elves- I have a healthy respect for these guys due to them being my primary opponent (brother's army) and I like the nature-aspects of these guys. The dryads and the plastic treemen are great models too.
    6. Vampire Counts- spooky knights, love the new Black Knights. If I wanted a "bad" faction I would pick these guys. Never bought any of the line other than the Wight King, but I LOVE the KOW skeletons I bought and painted.
    7. High Elves- not as cool as Wood Elves
    8. Ogre Kingdoms- the lore for these guys are interesting, but I haven't been inspired to collect any just yet. My brother may collect an army of these guys someday, but he prefers the yetis from Crocodile Games instead.
    9. Chaos Dwarfs- never been a fan of the Mesopotamian look to be honest, but I do like the works of the mighty Tjub and his big hat dwarfs. Some evil dwarf pirates would have been cooler...
    10. Skaven- cool idea, never been inspired to collect them or paint them. Maybe if I went back and read more Redwall books I would be inspired to?
    11. Tomb Kings- Egypt aesthetic is great, but I like the spooky undead better. Could be a really neat project in terrain building though... if they matched my favorite Mayan aesthetic I would probably be more interested!
    12. Dark Elves- poor man's knockoff of the High Elves, not as cool as the Dark Eldar either.
    13. The Empire- my heart lies with lost Bretonnia, sorry Empire fans.
    14. Warriors of Chaos- never really been a fan, more interesting than the daemons though
    15. Beastmen- no thanks
    16. Daemons of Chaos- never been interested, bottom tier

Bowser, custodi, Imrahil and 6 others like this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

unnamed.jpg

Bowser, Imrahil and BrotherSutek like this.
  17. custodi
    Skink

custodi Member

Poor Beastmen, never any love. I think Agragax has been the only person to put them in the top half of their rankings.

18. Knoffles
    Saurus

Knoffles Member

And me. Although I ranked them 3rd in my list, if I were going on pure playability and fun to play, I’d be hard pressed not to put them 1st

Bowser, custodi, Imrahil and 3 others like this.
  19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Really? Is that right? I remember when I was reading their book thinking that they would definitely be an interesting army to play (much in the same way as Orcs & Goblins)

Favourite moment in a battle?

20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Yeah, just me, @Knoffles and @The Great White Lizard currently make up the Coven of Lustrian Beastlords so far, but this forum is a small sample size so doesn't represent the majority. On EEFL for instance, an equally-small or even smaller sample size, Beastmen have a much bigger following.

Still, GW giving them an average at best 7th Book and avoiding giving them an 8th book entirely (when far less interesting armies got powerful if not game-breaking ones) didn't help.

Bowser, custodi, Knoffles and 3 others like this.