1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Suds Painting & Kitbashes of 2020

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Sudsinabucket, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Yeah! That coloring is amazing, it's like a dragon-tiger lizard.

Phenomenal stuff. (Also my favourite moment of the movie is whenhe shows up on its back.... Phwoah!)

Warden, Imrahil and Sudsinabucket like this.
  2. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

20200725_021155.jpg
    Its a great movie and I really want the second one lol I love when essentially nature fights back lol that huge stampede...thatd be scary

Honestly, Id love model sculpts of all of the Avatar animals/plants for a lizardmen army/scenery

Yeah and it works great for the Ghur Theme Im doing. The model fits well on a Stardrake base and should allow for a cool base also (170mm)

3. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Dang that is a huge model, it looks fantastic!

4. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

It's definitely a good size! Ill be sharing a size comparison of it vs a Troglodon and the Kroxigors vs an Oldblood, Sunblood and Warrior. I upscaled one of the Kroxigors by 20% and now I need a 60mm base for it lol whoops, oh well, hes meant to be the "Alpha" so...

I made a warscroll (AoA is so much fun) for the larger Kroxigor and making him a hero, in his rules he replaces the kroxigor that was going to have a moonhammer. What are thoughts on this? I can share the warscroll later when I'm at my computer

5. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

I got a lightbox!! I am so excited :)

Here are some of the first pictures using it!

Sunblood and Runesmiter, almost done, just needing some touch ups and highlights on the dwarfs armor. 20200727_011325.jpg 20200727_011555.jpg IMG_20200727_012902_270.jpg 20200727_011538.jpg 20200727_011500.jpg 20200727_011814.jpg 20200727_011646.jpg

6. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

WIP on my Custom unit for my Army :)

My army is from Ghur so Im trying to capure that essence, the landscape for where my Temple Host resides is a cross between the Red Rocks of Arizona and an African Savanna.

I was testing a scheme on the wings and really like it, so time to do the rest! Posted progress pictures!

Working on my wet blending (mainly seen around the shoulder where the Khorne Red and Abaddon Black meet) and building up shade layers!

Colors used so far:

Khorne Red
    Mephestion Red
    Cassandora Yellow
    Abaddon Black
    White Scar
    Custom Dark Black-Purple (Khorne red mixed with Black)

C&C welcome on the progress so far :)
    20200727_235457.jpg 20200728_123858.jpg 20200728_160418.jpg 20200728_175315.jpg IMG_20200728_194243_296.jpg 20200728_193342.jpg IMG_20200728_194243_295.jpg

Dragvindel, Cho'qomel, Warden and 2 others like this.
  7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Niiiiiiice!

Cho'qomel and Sudsinabucket like this.
  8. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you sir!

Cho'qomel likes this.
  9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I think you’ve got that colour scheme coming alongside nicely!

Cho'qomel and Sudsinabucket like this.
  10. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Definitely! I'm really happy with it! Have taken a longer break than I thought lol but gonna get back to it and try to finish the wings before bed.... still debating how to tackle the head..i have an idea of colors just not sure how I want it to look yet

11. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Very nice work!
    Great job on the blending :artist: (something I did not even try yet)

I love the contrast that the yellow brings.
    what was the reason for painting the yellow after the red pattern lines?
    looks easier(to me) if you first paint the wing yellow and then add the pattern.

Grrr, Imrahil

Cho'qomel likes this.
  12. Lium
    Saurus

Lium Active Member

Your "Quetzldon" seems not dissimilar to a Great Wyrm.

Dragvindel likes this.
  13. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you! Wet blending is something I haven't really tried to tackle very much so definitely wanted to try it on this one. I think i did pretty well but I definitely need more practice!

So, all of my model schemes are very much a loose construction in my head transferred to the model. I'm fairly good at visualizing the model with different colors in my head...Im guessing photographic memory helps with this? Interesting thought...

Anyway lol All my models from the beginning have just been me testing out schemes from my head and tweaking it along the way, the wings and this model are no different:

I originally was going to have the wings white with a blackish purple fade/marking...but thst didnt work out well so repainted the wing white. Then just started making random line marks and just went with it, in the ejd the white just didnt go well and decided Cassandora Yellow would look good and tried it. With 2.5 shades later, here we are lol

My craft is largely theorycraft and a paint as I go system lol a loose idea and just go haha.

Oh? Without seeing a picture I'm not sure, but that's cool! The sculpt is based off of a Quetzelcoatlus I'm pretty sure

14. Lium
    Saurus

Lium Active Member

Design wise I mean, there was no art for them.

Sudsinabucket likes this.
  15. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Is there a description? Couldn't find one

16. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Finished the Base for my Ghur Inspired Carnosaur :)

Here is a little bit of personal lore regarding the Carnosaur:

Horned Ghurian Carnosaur aka "The Whistletail"

"Carnosaurs under the control of the Temple Host of the Blood Moon of Ghur are chosen for ritual adaptation after they have overcome a most formidable enemy. More savage than before they are made to better fight Chaos and other enemies of the Temple Host through the use of Bones of Amber, the Realmstone if Ghur.

Lured to the top of the Temple of Itzl by a living sacrifice under a mind spell of a priest, the Carnosaur gores and feasts upon the sacrifice within a circle that is open to the sky while feasting it is then shackled into place. Beast Priests, those divine followers of Itzl soon circle around the beast and hold up the realmstones which begin to levitate. Chanting ancient and almost a feral tongue the realmstones begin to glow with amber light and its magic seep into the Carnosaur. Withing in agony the Carnosaur can be heard for miles calling out as horns begin to grow out of its skull as new bone forms and its tail splits and grows razor sharp blades and a stone hard spike at the tip. Often times even the color of the Carnosaur will change to match closer to the Ghurian landscape.

Freeguild armies have nicknamed them "Whistle Tails" for the sound the tail makes as it swings through the air cutting down infantry. A distinct high pitched whistle sound generates as air flows through the holes between the two blades on the tail"
    20200729_221956.jpg 20200729_222014.jpg 20200729_222028.jpg 20200729_230414.jpg 20200729_230442.jpg 20200729_230503.jpg 20200729_230533.jpg

17. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Son of a nutcracker!!!!

Of course as Im looking at these pictures I'm noticing I didnt paint some gold bits...

Sigh

Haha

18. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

He looks very nice. What are you planning for the rider?

I see the golds on the head still to be done ;) but also the tip of the tail seems to be grey as well.

Grrr, Imrahil

Cho'qomel likes this.
  19. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

The tip is simply Dark Reaper by Citadel, i may add to it.

And yeah, exactly what I saw lol

20. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

The rider is an oldblood I did awhile back that is a black/purple faded to a dark screamer pink scheme, I can take a pic later...6am, about to go to bed lol