1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. The Best Monstrous Infantry unit in all of Warhammer

Discussion in 'Other Armies Discussion' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Nov 12, 2020.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Nice to see the Ushabti get a big win... even if it is only due to having a standard bearer.

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

A big win is still a big win, and in this case it proves that being able to take a Command Group does have a significant advantage that shouldn't be underestimated. The Ogre Bulls also benefitted from this pro against the Rat Ogres.

NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

And it's that time once again! I think it's time for another battle between creations of Chaos - this time, the K'daai Fireborn get to grips with the Chaos Ogres!

Key Rules in Play:
    K'daai Fireborn: Great Weapons, Standard of Discipline (+1 Leadership), Musician, Standard Bearer
    Chaos Ogres: Mark of Khorne (Frenzy), Additional Hand Weapons, Musician, Standard Bearer

upload_2022-6-20_10-9-45.png

And the Chaos Ogres are utterly destroyed! Between their Regular Attacks and Blazing Body hits the K'daai roast two Chaos Ogres to kindling, and to add insult to injury the Chaos Ogres only manage to inflict a single wound upon the Bound Fire Daemons, failing to kill any of them and allowing them to keep their second rank, before fleeting as fast as their blubbery legs could carry them. The Father of Darkness will be enthralled to see such a triumph!

upload_2022-6-20_10-16-10.png

As the scores are updated, the Chaos Ogres continue to humiliate themselves by delving ever deeper into the red zone, now with -12 points, while the Fireborn take the opposite route and claw themselves ever further above the rest of the pack with a maximum 12 points.

Thoughts? Concerns? Discussion!!!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It never feels as satisfying when it comes down to something like command. My tourney also had these super tight wins that never quite sat right with me. I like a truly decisive victory.

Lizards of Renown, Bowser and Imrahil like this.
  5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Time for another round! This time, two of the higher-placed entrants come to blows - the Vargheists face the River Trolls!

Key Rules in Play:
    Vargheists: Frenzy, Unbreakable, Unstable
    River Trolls: Regeneration (4+), River Troll

upload_2022-5-27_9-54-41.png

And perhaps this was to be expected after the Vargheists lost miserably to the Chaos Trolls, but once again they have to pay the Troll TollTM. The River Trolls' revolting odour forcing them to hit on 4s rather than their usual 3s plus Regeneration really blunted the man-bats' offensive, whereas the River Trolls, despite striking last due to their terrible Initiative, had no such issues, killing two Vargheists and damaging the unit further with Instability. The killing blow was done when the Vargheists also lost their Frenzy this round, shattering their damage output and giving the River Trolls another Major Victory.

upload_2022-6-20_10-17-19.png

Upon updating the scoreboard we can see that the River Trolls now rise to level-pegging with the Crypt Horrors at 3 points, while for the first time in the tourney the Vargheists fall into the red zone to join the Minotaurs and Kroxigors at -1 point.

And as I neglected you all yesterday I shall stage another fight for your perusal! To continue our battle of the top dogs, the Maneaters are up to fight the Skin Wolves!

Key Rules in Play:
    Maneaters: Poisoned Attacks, Stubborn (both from Been There, Done That), Additional Hand Weapons, War Banner (+1 Combat Res)
    Skin Wolves: Always Strikes First (Mark of Slaanesh), Regeneration (5+), Frenzy
    upload_2022-5-27_10-34-5.png

I don't think @Lizards of Renown will be too pleased at the outcome of this one, but the hardened Ogre mercenaries are unceremoniously butchered by the Skin Wolves in pretty short order. To do them credit their War Banner standard and Stubborn special rule kept them in the fight, but the superior Initiative and Always Strikes First of the Slanneshi werewolves stopped them even getting a second round's worth of attacks. The wolves' Regeneration also didn't help, as it reduced the Maneaters' offensive output enough to stop their special standard from turning the outcome of the combat around in their favour.

upload_2022-6-20_10-18-9.png

That result sees those two units fall and rise to meet each other at joint 4th place with 4 points apiece.

6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

This is brilliant.

Yeah, the Frenzy, ASF and high initiative (also meaning they reroll failed rolls to hit) plus the Regen means that they were always going to tear through the maneaters as they are lightly armoured. A bit like the Witch Elf effect from the other tournament.

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Time for another bout!

Today, horns meet scales, as the Minotaurs battle the Kroxigors!

Key Rules in Play:
    Minotaurs: Additional Hand Weapons, Bloodgreed, Musician, Standard Bearer
    Kroxigors: Great Weapons, Cold-blooded, Predatory Fighter, Scaly Skin (4+)

upload_2022-5-30_15-42-30.png

And Team Bullseye takes the win, as once again the Kroxigors' supreme Strength of 7 is wasted against Toughness 4 Minotaurs, and having to strike last leaves the crocodilian Lizardmen vulnerable to a savage beating and the loss of two models before they even get to fight, blunting their return offensive. Their Cold-Blooded special rule saves them from running for the hills at the end of Turn 1, and their determined resistance inflicts enough wounds on the Minotaurs in the second round to deny them a Major Victory (something they badly need but cannot seem to achieve right now), but the Minotaurs' Bloodgreed rule allows them to reduce the Kroxigors to a third of their original size and send the rest packing.

upload_2022-6-20_10-18-52.png

That result sees the Minotaurs rise to join the Ogre Bulls on a round 0 points, leaving them in the middle of the pack, while the Kroxigors drop to join the Fenbeasts and the Bile Trolls in the Minus Two Club - a sad thing for us Lizardman fans to see, but there are enemies doing far worse in the tourney right now and there's still time for the Skinks' larger Spawn-Brothers to turn things around.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Sad to see.

Unrelated to this match, I was just thinking, imagine what a unit of Witch Elves would do to this field of competitors! :confused:

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

:sour:

Which idiot thought it would be a good idea for them to be moved to Core in 8th?

EDIT: It seems to have been Ultramarines Superfan Ward given he seems to have written the 8th Dark Elf book according to my October 2013 White Dwarf. Thanks Mat for your attempt to break 8th, after also breaking 7th even more with the Daemons book (though given the Crudmeister wrote the WoC book and Trokey Cokey wrote the High Elf book, you're not entirely to blame).

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Lizards of Renown likes this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Personally I don't have an issue with them. They have their built in weaknesses. They are terrible against 2+ or 1+ armour and are extremely vulnerable to ranged attacks. Every army should have some solid counters available at their disposal. At the end of the day, they are a great unit, but not broken in my opinion. That said, in this competition, they would run through the rest of the field.

11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I do agree they have a lot of counters, but I'm just concerned at the idea that it is possible to field an entire army of a unit that is so strong in the combat phase, particularly as it begs the question, from a competitive viewpoint, of why would Dark Elf players take Dreadspears, Bleakswords or Corsairs when Witch Elves can do the job those units do so much better, without sacrificing that much in the armour department?

Additionally from a lore viewpoint, the Witch Elves are a cult that only makes up a small percentage of Dark Elf society, compared to the other Core choices which are Dark Elf civilians and raiders. Thus making Witch Elves core in a standard Dark Elf army is akin to taking Slayers as core in a normal Dwarf army or Plague Monks as Core in a normal Skaven army - not impossible but it just doesn't fit in the army list for the race as a whole.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Better armour, cheaper (so greater numbers of troops) and they don't suffer from the negative effects of Frenzy. Frenzy is a double-edged sword as frenzied units can be frenzy-baited and/or forced to overrun.

Personally, I'd still go with Witch Elves, but I've seen plenty of armies where people have went in a completely different direction.

True, but one can easily imagine that a small army could be largely comprised of them. Viewing the Dark Elf race as a whole, you are correct, but a specific army doesn't necessarily have to reflect the racial demographic profile of the entire race. Having them in core allows you to theme your army in that direction if you wish, or have them added as auxiliary units or not at all.

That said, they could just as easily be slotted into Special and I wouldn't complain. As it stands, if I were to field an Dark Elves army, the majority of my infantry would be comprised of Witch Elves and Executioners. To your point, I do feel that they are the best choices (plus I really like the models!).

13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Time for another fight in this Round 6 of the tourney! Next up, frosty claws meet necrotic talons, with the Yhetees fighting the Crypt Horrors...

Key Rules in Play:
    Yhetees: Aura of Frost
    Crypt Horrors: Poisoned Attacks, Regeneration (5+), Unbreakable, Unstable

upload_2022-5-31_15-48-28.png

@Lizards of Renown won't be too fond of this match either - while the Yhetees try as they might to pierce the leathery flesh of the oversized Ghouls and kill one, the remaining seven strike back with enough Poisoned Attacks to kill two of the abominable snowogres, sending the rest packing with minimal effort and picking up another Major Win.

Time to update the scoreboard once again!
    upload_2022-6-20_10-3-28.png

This result sees the Horrors steal the Yhetees' spot in third place, while the Yhetees fall to joining the Maneaters and Skin Wolves at 4 points apiece.

Attached Files:

14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

To be honest I'm still shocked that the Yhetees are where they are right now!

I was expecting them at the bottom as, to me, they are definitely not worth investing any points in.

NIGHTBRINGER and Imrahil like this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Agreed.

Crypt Horrors are a much better unit. They were massively underrepresented in the rankings because they had already faced a couple of the absolute best competitors (Fireborn and Chaos Trolls). Of their remaining matchups, there are probably only a couple of contestants left who have any real chance of beating them. I expect to see them post up some big numbers going forward.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  16. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Yeah.

I think it will remain Fireborn and Chaos Trolls as #1 and #2 respectively. They are pretty fearsome. I'm hoping that the Maneaters will move up.

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I think so too.

18. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

It's been a while, hasn't it? But never fear, I am here with another round of big humanoid infantry going toe-to-toe to see just who takes the crown!

Today, two inhabitants of dark, dingy, smelly swamps and two of our less fortunate competitors thus far, the Bile Trolls take on the Fimir!

Key Rules in Play:
    Bile Trolls: Mark of Nurgle, Poisoned Attacks, Regeneration (5+), Infected Vomit
    Fimir Warriors: Scaly Skin (6+), Heavy Armour, Always Strikes Last (Great Weapons), Cold Blooded, Tail Attack (S5)

upload_2022-6-14_14-53-54.png

And once again the Fimir have to pay The Troll TollTM, as their Great Weapons force them to stand and watch as one of their number is mullered by Nurgle's Trollish sons, and then the Mark of Nurgle, Regeneration (5+) and the Bile Trolls having an additional wound all add insult to injury as they fail to kill a single model in the unit. The second round goes a similar way, with the Fimir failing to do much except finish off the wounded Troll, before they suffer a loss heavy enough that not even their Cold-Blooded special rule can stop them running for the hills. A solid Major Victory for the Bile Trolls, who are in need of one as the poor cousin of the Chaos Trolls.

upload_2022-6-20_10-2-31.png

This win sees the Bile Trolls draw level with the Minotaurs and Ogre Bulls at a big fat zero points, while the Fimir, still reeling from the loss of their 'From the Mists' trump card, drop to joint second-to-last with the Rat Ogres at -8, only staying above the wretched Chaos Ogres.

19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Ah good! [LoR grabs popcorn and gets comfy]

:D

I thought it was just me who uses "mullered." Where did you get this from to mean: "completely massacred"?

20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

You :p

I was thinking of a new phrase to use to further develop my vocabulary and thought of how you used to use it so regularly in your earlier days of presence on here ;)

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.