1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial The Old World Lizardmen Army PDF is out and free

Discussion in 'Lizardmen Discussion' started by discomute, Jan 22, 2024.

1. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

Oldblood weapon comparison, according to my spreadsheet:
    • 28.308 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Ogre Blade, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 25.927 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Blade of Revered Tzunki, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 18.970 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Sword of Battle, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 17.010 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Duelists Blades, Talisman of Protection
    • 14.117 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Dragon Slaying Sword, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 19.787 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Giant Blade, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 10.694 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Sword of Swiftness, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 15.167 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Berserker Blade, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 17.179 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Sword of Might, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 17.870 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Biting Blade, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 14.645 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Sword of Striking, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 13.596 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Burning Blade, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 19.124 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 19.885 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Piranha Blade, Shield, Talisman of Protection
    • 20.034 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Great Weapon, Talisman of Protection
    If you believe this analysis, it does look like Armor + GW outperforms everything except the 2 big weapons.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  2. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

• 21.797 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Great Weapon, Aura of Quetzl, Talisman of Protection
    • 22.143 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Great Weapon, Armor of Silvered Steel, Talisman of Protection
    • 20.664 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Great Weapon, Armor of Silvered Steel, Aura of Quetz

• Not a small difference I notice although.. but really interesting thank!

3. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

What about adding the armour of meteoric iron to the GW build?

Armour of meteoric iron, talisman of protection and great weapon?

4. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

del (found that some combos that I tried to request are impossible)

5. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

I get what you are trying to do with the Scar Vet BSB, but I still feel it is likely best on the Slann. Less likely to be captured, and fly means you can get your banner where you want it more often. However, the 18" range on the Large Target BSB may make that not that important. Yet to see though.

6. RipperDerek
    Razordon

• 20.943 - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Great Weapon, Armour of Meteoric Iron, Talisman of Protection

discomute likes this.
  7. discomute
    Troglodon

Okay interesting I would have thought higher. I guess it becomes a question of what we need most help with. I feel like a lot of things the carno might struggle with like dragons or monsterous infantry will have -2 AP anyway and the m-iron armour will end up better than say silver steel. Same goes for blade of revered Tzunki vs ogre blade... I think

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  8. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

Yep, but also we need to consider dual-carno build (my favorite), so items on Scarvet should be different than items on Oldblood. And I would aso add Frog's venom for its poison+fire for great weapon test builds.

discomute likes this.
  9. discomute
    Troglodon

Are you forsaking a Slann?

10. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

I have 2 types of lists - one with slann and another one with dual carno + skink priest (with a dispel scroll).
    Will see what will perform better. Also - in low points - ~1k - an army with low magic investment usually performs much better.

11. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

At 1k I think you can even get away with no magic. Most armies will only have level 2 wizards at 1k, which means less magic being cast and less chances of it going off. Also means its easier for a fated dispel to work.

12. discomute
    Troglodon

Oookay but at 1000 points you're not running two carnos because you can't.

And really the only way to do it at 2000 is to take a level 2 skink as you said. I doubt you'd get much magic off. Frankly I'd be shocked if the list was remotely competitive. But it's all theoryhammer at this point so please let us know.

13. RipperDerek
    Razordon

I don't run a slann either, my points all go to giant dinos.

14. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

I think you need to go revisit the Character Targeting rules. As long as your slann is around other units, he is going to be nigh on untargettable for shooting, and the FAQ pretty much made so even cannons can't reliably snipe him. With Fly(8) he can pretty much be placed where ever you want to avoid taking a charge. Then there is the fact that Temple Guard can just tank for him, and take/give out challenges for him if you do get charged. And Slann are still the best casters in the game, with auto level 4, access to more lores than any other caster, one of the best magic items in the game (cupped hands). Some of the disciplines are eh, but Becalming is amazing, and for 10 points, soul of stone is actually really useful

discomute likes this.
  15. discomute
    Troglodon

I have no idea why people seem to love cupped hands. It on average will work one of every two games. (It does not work on "outclassed in the art). For 55 points doing a couple of wounds, maybe in a game?

16. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

That's true, but he is an easy target for units like scorpions that are hitting from behind. He is not bad at all, but... I miss the opportunity to be a part of a TG unit. Also, Cupped Hands are mentioned by discomute would be much better in that case.

17. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Because as rare as a miscast is, it almost always negates a miscast when it happens.

For me it's not about doing wounds to my opponent. That's just an added bonus.

The real value is in having an 83% chance when I miscast that I don't have to roll on the miscast table at all.

But as for those wounds, really a nice way to character snipe minor heroes. It's limitless range and an S6 AP-2 blast. Taking out a brettonian sergeant or fay enchantress

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  18. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

Just 1 wounds… yeah a good one but it costs 55 points and maybe you use just once. With miscast with still have a good chance to launch a spell anyway … arcane familiar sounds as a better option to me imho. And it costs only 30. Alternatively cube of darkness.

discomute and airjamy like this.
  19. airjamy
    Salamander

airjamy Well-Known Member

I know he is almost impossible to catch. The point is that a normal lvl 4 is 180 points, he starts at 285. You would never buy a 100 point upgrade on a normal wizard for 2 extra wounds and 5+ ward along with a fly move. He also simply isn't the best caster in the game, High Elf casters get a free cast reroll every turn (better than any of our Disciplines, and free), and having access to multiple lores simply aint that relevant as long as you have access to the good ones (Illusion, Elementalism and High Magic). Cupped hands isn't that good, it is like ok. Miscasts are pretty inconsequantial right now, especially if you are outside of a unit (which wizards should be anyway for the 360 degrees vision). If your wizard is caught, he probably catches a ton of wounds, so the 1-2 wounds he took from miscasts does not matter anyway. You are very unlikely to die from just miscasts, and chipping a single wound of an enemy wizard also doesn't matter. That is also why Soul of Stone isn't that interesting either, it just does not do enough. Becalming cogitation is like the only thing that is kinda interesting about a Slann, but there are also matchups where it does absolutely nothing (dwarfs), and it makes your Slann even more expensive and even less likely to get his points back. The real reason you take a Slann is for ld9 and BSB on a Large Target, but i think you can make do with a Scarvet on Carno as general and a Skink Chief BSB.

Gone are the days when miscasts could instagib your wizards, gotta start playing like it. Cupped Hands also just does not snipe enemy chars, they have 2 wounds, you only do 1!

discomute, ASSASSIN_NR_1 and Kalisto like this.
  20. airjamy
    Salamander

airjamy Well-Known Member

Arcane Familiar is better than Cupped Hands i would say yes for sure, as being sure to get Fiery Convocation if you want it against blobs of Swordmasters or Plague of Rust to make your Javelins go hard is pretty cool.

discomute and Kalisto like this.