1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Walters' paint blog [5th edition Lizardmen + Empire]

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Walters, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

I am so glad it helped! Looking forward to seeing your griffon for sure!

I have not finished it yet, I was hoping to do the other half as a video showing the steps in real time, I just need a better set up.

So, I begin by doing a wash first on the stripes only, like 2 or 3 layers of shade worth. Then ill go over the whole thing 1 or 2 more times. This way the stripes darken to a better depth and stand out more than if you did the wash all at the same time. Also helps blend it together well. That's what ive found at least for myself.

Hope it helps!

Bowser, Walters and Warden like this.
  2. Walters
    Saurus

Walters Well-Known Member

I will order some paints I need together with reikland fleshshade so that I can start painting the cat-part of the griffon. :)

I have finished painting the standard bearer for my greatswords, opting to go with what Warden suggested earlier. The same background wih another heraldic animal, I was deciding between a lion, ram or stag and landed on stag. It is fun to make these banners so I might get some more done in the future. I also finished painting the army battle standard bearer, but for this one I cheated and printed the banner and added some paint to it. I chose the Altdorf city-banner. The details on it were too much for me to even attempt by freehand.

Here is a picture of all the banners so far.
    Empire standard bearers.jpg

The work on the greatswords continues but I might take a break from them soon in order to get some paint on the griffon!
    I have also begun to collect miniatures for a future project: Chaos Warriors of Khorne. It was about time that I start to build an army that I have not previously had. More of this to come. But I am in need of help looking for a specific bit. I got my hands a classic plastic warriors of chaos box, but this weapon is not part of it. It was included in the older box, but not in the newer one I got.
    Chaos mace.jpg

I have been searching online for a while without success. Does anyone have and can part with this mace? I will happily purchase it or trade something for it. It would make a fine addition to my one and only warriors regiment. :)

Vedras, Bowser, Warden and 5 others like this.
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Those banners look unbelievebly good:wideyed:
    Is that all freehand?

Awesome work mate.

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser likes this.
  4. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you mate! The griffon and the stag are freehand. The Altdorf-banner is printed, found the picture online. I only added yellow om the brim and some red. :oops:

5. Imrahil
    Slann

I saw some sharper lines on that one, but nothing to be ashamed of. That Griffon and Stag are equally impressive :artist:

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser and Walters like this.
  6. Walters
    Saurus

Thanks mate! I am quite please with them, might go back and add a few highlights later on. :)

I put the rank and file aside this week and decided to have a go at the griffon. I studied the awesome guide provided by Suds, and pictures of tigers before I began with two thin coats (that is at what I am told when I view painting guides) of jokaero orange.

Griffon 1.jpg
    Griffon 2.jpg
    Griffon 3.jpg
    Griffon 4.jpg
    Griffon 5.jpg

The elector count was fun to paint too and it felt good to see the final result with him on the griffon. Nothing really special paintwise though, tried to make him look like the classical mounted captain, with a bright red lance. This miniature is definitely going to be the centerpiece of the army, and about 20 percent worth of the total points too. I better finish the infantry so that I can take a picture of the count leading the charge.

Next up are greatswords and a warrior priest. :)

Vedras, Bowser, kroxh and 7 others like this.
  7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Excellent! Great tiger stripes, and of course I am loving his heraldry.

Bowser, Walters and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Agreed... those turned out very well.

Bowser, Warden and Walters like this.
  9. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you both! The griffon is among my favorites from the older Empire range, and I am glad I managed to do it some justice.

Bowser, Warden and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  10. Imrahil
    Slann

He looks amazing :jawdrop::woot:
    Those tiger stripes are sick!

Well done

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser, Warden and Walters like this.
  11. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you! I am happy they turned out nicely. :)

Bowser, Warden and Lizards of Renown like this.
  12. Walters
    Saurus

The work on the Altdorf army has continued, but recently I have put it on hold for a while, choosing to finish what is left of my Lizardmen.

First up is a Scar-veteran with a simple conversion: changed the original khopesh in favor for the metal 6th edition version - turning it into a great weapon (dedicated chariot hunter!).
    Scar-veteran 1.jpg

I have also decided to convert saurus warriors on cold ones. Just to have the option to field them, the day I choose not to play with a Slann (removing the Slann and temple guards will leave a huge hole in my current list so I need other options). I found this guide in Warhammer annual 2002:
    Saurus on cold ones (Warhammer annual).jpg

The difficulty at first was to collect the bits needed. So far I have everything apart from 2 cold ones for 5 riders (currently bidding on a few sprues, so I hope to remedy this very soon). It will be 5 riders with full command. Here is my first try with, what I think, will become the champion:
    Cold one rider WIP 1.jpg
    Cold one rider WIP 2.jpg

I am trying my best to stay faithful to the saurus by Darren. The shield has not yet been glued to the warrior. At the moment I am building the standard bearer and will the move on to fix the musician. As soon as I receive the last cold ones I should be good to go! I am also painting 20 saurus warriors with the sacred spawning of Tepok. Hopefully I will be able to post another update soon.

Lord-Marcus, Vedras, Bowser and 8 others like this.
  13. Imrahil
    Slann

Awesome to see these models! that Saurus Cav is a beautiful sculpt.
    Good fun painting.

Grrr, Imrahil

Walters and Bowser like this.
  14. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you! Yes they are awesome, and I hope to be able to have the unit done shortly so that I can start painting. :)

Bowser and Imrahil like this.
  15. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Nice conversion!

16. Walters
    Saurus

Received two more cold ones last week and managed to finish building the unit of 5 saurus warriors on cold ones.
    Cold one riders WIP 3.jpg
    Cold one riders WIP 4.jpg

I look forward to getting some paint on them! I also played a game (6th edition rules) this weekend and it was a blast. One of my skink priest managed to cast comet of Casandora, and it arrived on the fourth try with a radius of 18 inches. Almost every unit on the table got hit! Let's say that more than a few skinks disappeared... :D

17. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Nice! Looking forwards to the paint jobs!

Ha! Gotta love the Lore of Heavens!!! :)

18. Izla
    Skink

Izla Active Member

I love those old cold ones, great conversions!

6th edition Lore of Heavens was so much better than any of the others lore - what a shame it was the only one skink priests could use!

Walters, Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  19. Vedras
    Chameleon Skink

Vedras Well-Known Member

Your Empire models look so good @Walters . Well done, can't wait to see more!

20. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

The use of the older saurus sculpt actually improves the old cold ones.