1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Walters' paint blog [5th edition Lizardmen + Empire]

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Walters, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Walters
    Saurus

Walters Well-Known Member

Haha yes! Especially since it was the first time it worked too, and that is one of the reasons I like to use a lot of magic in my games, for random events such as these. Sometimes magic can be devastating, and sometimes you misast a skink into oblivion, but that it what makes it fun. :)

Thank you! It is very strong I agree, but I have also come to appreciate Lore of Light, being able to heal kroxigors or the stegadon has helped turn a combat. :D

Thank you! I hope to get back to working on my Empire army later in spring, since I currently have decided to get those lizards I have left done. But I do look forward to painting more Altdorf-troops. :)

In the beginning I did not want to include cold ones in the army, as I am not a fan of the 6th edition saurus riders. I do like the old cold ones though, more than I do the newer ones, so when I found the conversion guide I knew that I had to make an attempt to build a unit. :)

2. Walters
    Saurus

I have been working on a unit of 20 saurus warriors and managed to finish them for a 6th edition game this weekend, 2500 points, with a Cult of Slaanesh list versus my Lizardmen. It was fun to play with a fully painted army (something I have not done since I had a Tomb Kings army back in the day), especially an army one has spent an immense amount of time and care collecting and building.

Here is a picture, albeit one with quite some sun, which I suppose is fitting seeing how I cast dazzling brightness on my enemy several times. This is 2500 points, led by a 4th generation Slann. The army is very strong regarding magic. Slann + magic items + two level 2 skink priests, and the sacred spawning of Tepok (granting +1 dispel dice) for my two saurus regiments make for a neat power dice pool. I use the diadem of power to save 2 dispel dice for my upcoming magic phase, leaving me with 13 power dice to use on those turns I manage to do such a saving of dice. Least to say, magic can be very devastating when it works, but some turns can also be quite lackluster when it fails. That is why I like the magic phase, high risk and high reward and much randomness.
    20220522162804_IMG_9354.JPG

Here are some picture of the Slann among the temple guard. All the movement trays have been painted and based, and I have put magnets on them for the metal miniatures.
    20220522163032_IMG_9359.JPG
    20220522163023_IMG_9356.JPG

Here is the second saurus regiment, the one I recently finished. It is not that visible on these pictures, but I have added some purple to their scales in order to mark them with the sacred spawning of Tepok. I aim to add purple scales to the other regiment too.
    20220522163038_IMG_9361.JPG
    20220522163026_IMG_9358.JPG

Here is the scar-veteran with a great weapon (with the charm of the jaguar too, providing it with a 18 inch charge range, much needed for chariot hunting duty).
    20220522163124_IMG_9362.JPG

I still have some projects left for my Lizardmen: an oldblood on carnosaur, my converted saurus cavalry that I have started to paint, and some jungle swarms. I am also collecting some more metal saurus warriors, hoping to have a unit with them too, mostly since I very much like those sculpts! When those projects are done I hope to continue with the Empire army. The game was intense too, resulting in a major victory for the Lizardmen. The magic did its wonders, the stegadon charged a unit of chosen chaos knights and made them break from combat (being hunted down too), and the scar-veteran charged and destroyed an exalted champion, including the chariot he rode in. Sadly, the scar-veteran got pierced by a bolt thrower in the end...

loof, Blastoize, Warden and 6 others like this.
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

DAMN!! that is a great looking army :woot::woot:
    Congratulations on the win. Allways great to have a fully painted army hit the battlefield.

Grrr, Imrahil

Walters, Just A Skink and Bowser like this.
  4. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

:wideyed::jawdrop::woot:

Walters, Bowser and Imrahil like this.
  5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Awesome. Truly. Love that you made the movement trays match.

6. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you! :)
    Yes, it felt great and I look forward to adding units.

Thank you! I am happy that they turned out well, it makes a positive difference, having them match the bases. I will do the same for the Empire-army.

7. Blastoize
    Cold One

Blastoize Well-Known Member

Oh man, your army really looks great on a table! Holds together, looks old school, yet with a modern paint job. I love the dark blue!

8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That is an impressive army! :artist::artist::artist:

Walters, Bowser and Just A Skink like this.
  9. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you! The mix of old and new is what I was hoping to achieve. :)

Thank you Warden! I am most happy with it. :)

Bowser likes this.
  10. Walters
    Saurus

I have managed to get some spare time to paint recently, and with that time I have finished the cold ones and the old blood.

Here is the champion for the saurus cavalry:
    Cold one champion.jpg

And here is the unit:
    Cold one riders 1.jpg

It sure took some time to paint the cold ones themselves, but I do like the synergy of the dark green of their scales and the brighter blues of the saurus warriors. It was very fun to build the riders and I think they will blend well with the rest of the army.

While building the cavalry I also built an old blood from scratch, using a temple guard, a plastic saurus warrior, the top of a totem, the weapon of a newer scar-veteran, and some green stuff. I decided to paint him with the mark of the old ones (expensive sacred spawning, yet being able re-roll dice is always neat). The carnosaur itself took its fair time to paint, but I like how it turned out.
    Carnosaur 1.jpg
    Carnosaur 2.jpg

The next miniature to get some paint is a salamander waiting to join the hunting pack, then I will have to see what comes next. During the first game with the old blood the carnosaur fell in battle, so I might have to build an old blood on foot too, in case it happens again. :)

11. Walters
    Saurus

Here is my third salamander. I painted it heavily inspired by the salamanders by @Explodingzeb. Like it is said, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness. :)
    The color scheme is very cool and I wanted to try it out. I like the result so much that I am thinking of repainting the other two salamanders so that they can match this one.

Salamander 1.jpg
    Salamander 2.jpg

12. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Wow, this guy looks great! Thank you for the kind words. You did a great job and I'm glad I could help to inspire you :)

Walters and Imrahil like this.
  13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

This is great work.

Walters likes this.
  14. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you for the kind words!

Next up is the classis Slann Mage-Priest, being carried in the ranks of the temple guard. I am glad that I just about managed to fit everything on a 50x50 mm base in such a way that the Slann fits in the unit. It looks like the four temple guards carrying the throne are a part of the ranks, which I like. I was thinking about adding a skink attendant to the throne, but the lack of space proves an issue, but so far I am happy with the result and I look forward to fielding this Slann on the field.

Slann Classic 1 .jpg
    Slann Classic + temple guards 1.jpg
    Slann Classic + temple guards 2.jpg

15. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I think he looks great. I love the basing and matching movement tray!

Walters likes this.
  16. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Beautifully painted temple guard!

I also really like your carnosaur rider with the conversion to be wearing the stegadon-helm; that looks great!

17. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

I really like your army! Brings back memories of thumbing through the 5th edition army book back in middle school.

Walters likes this.
  18. Quetzalcoatlus
    Saurus

Quetzalcoatlus Active Member

Beautiful army! I kinda miss square bases.

Nice to see.

19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Square bases aren’t gone, my friend. Right @NIGHTBRINGER ?

Join the Knights over in the Warhammer Fantasy forum.

20. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you! Very happy with the trays too, part of the fun. :)

Thank you! I really like the stegadon-helm and am happy with the result. Had they been easier to get I would have put them on more saurus warriors.

Thank you! Happy to hear that, there is a lot of flavor in that book.

Thank you! Square bases are the thing. :D

Lizards of Renown, Imrahil and Warden like this.