1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you doing today hobbywise?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Keep up the good parenting.

2. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

You had me at elephants.

aaaaand as a former Dogs of War WFB player, this is just icing on the cake.

aaaaand you just keep adding more frosting to the cake. Seriously, you had me at elephants. Why did you think I wanted to play Carthage in the first place?!? ELEPHANTS!!!

3. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I got my birthday package yesterday. I got a bunch of DnD minis and a box of FrostgraveCultists, plus some paints I was low on. Now I get to paint them all up. I'm hoping to get a game of Frostgrave on the table in a couple weeks.

4. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I built a halfling with a jet pack in the last 6 hours.

Tk'ya'pyk and WildColonial Boy like this.
  5. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Played two back-to-back games at a friend's place today.

The first was a Black Seas game between my Russian fleet and his French. Russians have the issue of being something of a fleet of glass cannons, which doesn't go over well when you're using some of the slowest ships in the game against a fleet that prides itself in playing well in terms of manoeuvrability, nor does it help when you misjudge how close you are to a landmass so as to avoid becoming grounded (two of my 5th-Rates lost enough hull points through such accidents that they had to test to avoid "striking the colours" (tapping out). Even though my 1st-Rate somehow managed to survive being caught in a crossfire between two 3rd-Rates long enough to return fire both ways, I likely won't be using a 1st-Rate Ship-of-the-Line again in that fleet for some time. I may also have to consider dropping a good deal of my brigs in exchange for more 3rd- and 5th-Rate ships, though preferably not so much that it's monotonous.

The second was an Age of Sigmar game: my Skaven's first game under the new battletome versus my opponent's Ironjawz, using Contest of Generals (my opponent and I really don't care for the Seasons of War). It was a resounding table-wipe on my end at the hands of his Ironjawz by the end of turn 3. At best, I managed to kill off maybe a dozen heavily armoured orruks, most of which being done by my clawlord who almost put down my opponent's megaboss on his own in a round of combat. Apart from my own shortcomings of forgetting to bring my stormvermin, there's a couple of things that came out of that game. First, Rusted Spears on Clanrats (2"/1/5+/4+/-/1) are inexplicable garbage that are not worth taking due to how Strength in Numbers works (Melee attack range increases by 1" for every 10 models in the unit up to 3") and should have been merged with Rusted Blades (1"/1/4+/4+/-/1) instead like what happened with Deathrattle Skeletons. Second, Warp Lightning Cannons, let alone most war machines, are still overpriced garbage that you should avoid fielding at all costs. While it is still a cool model to have, you can't rely on it at all to put out the damage expected of a 150 point artillery piece.

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yes, i totally agree that almost all the artillery are not worth their price.
    Leaving aside our EotG (which i cannot really consider a cannon), one of the few that can be truly effective is the ossiarch catapult.
    And maybe the SCE ballista?

7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Trying to reinspire myself to complete my Deathshrieker Rockets and Magma Cannon, so I can start putting my K'Daai Destroyer together.

8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Building halflings at 4 am

Tk'ya'pyk and Imrahil like this.
  9. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

Worked on four Frostgrave Cultists. One is finished, the other three are basecoated. I'll probably do four more so I have a second full crew for F:GA.

Padre

Tk'ya'pyk and Lizards of Renown like this.
  10. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I worked on more pieces of scenery, because you can never have enough of them :D

Grrr, Imrahil

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  11. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

And finished the four GA Cultists.
    20220824_213540.jpg

12. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

I bought some bits for a model train layout, and spent an unusually large amount of time perusing Gnoll miniatures from 3d printing companies on ebay and etsy.

13. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

This has been an interesting day. An old gaming buddy from my college days stopped into the store today. Had time to talk for a bit. He's had to slow down his hobby stuff due to a small child in his life, but is still working on stuff. Always nice to be able to talk hobby stuff with someone in person :D

14. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

You were in a hobby store on a Thursday?

15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

It's not that unusual, i think.

16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

If he had a day off it's perfectly natural to want to indulge in visiting a hobby store. I have a week off next week where I'm planning to visit at least two.

Tk'ya'pyk and Lord-Marcus like this.
  17. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Been plugging away at a Hellpit Abomination that I've been customizing with spare Verminlord bits, because Rat King.

20220826_005715.jpg 20220826_005105.jpg 20220826_005641.jpg

There will probably be some more putty work I'll need to do on this, but that's about as far as I'll take it for today.

18. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Yes, yes! More-more Skaven conversions please!

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  19. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I didn't say anything was wrong with it. And I can understand wanting to visit on an off day.

Excellent ratty-boi.

20. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

No, I work retail and said gamer buddy came into my place of work to shop. I WISH I was in a hobby store on a Thursday.