1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you doing today hobbywise?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Having worked in a retail environment, i get it.

2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

In the past days i've found a little treasure while roaming through the bowls of free bits in our gaming shop.

i'm gonna paint them.

0_bits.jpg

3. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

Finished up my eight cultists last night. (The front four are the new ones.)
    20220828_224946.jpg

Padre

4. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I didn't actually take any images but I worked on my nurgle demon Prince (no wings, thank you) today. I got the rough gluing done. Now comes the harder part.

I have to source or make another huge axe for him. As well as affix the head and sculpt.

This of course could get put on the back burner so don't expect anything immediately.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  5. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

...I went to the dentist today. On top of all the other crap I've had to deal with this year, now I need $4k of dental work. A root canal, 8 fillings, and so forth. Did you know that metal fillings will slowly CRACK the teeth they have been put into over several years' time? I did not until today...

But it does give me an excuse to work on minis I already HAVE, so I pulled my Marienburg Mordheim minis out and I'm turning them into a CoS Warcry warband for the new Great Weave campaign.

6. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

As someone going through my own dental related annoyances, I understand. Although I've never had a metal filling. I did have a back tooth crack at the beginning of the year.

I'm paying roughly 1,750 total for:

root canal (already done) -

Tooth lengthening by periodontal surgery - already done, post op appointment tomorrow. All my sutures have come out and my temp crown was not attached and nowhere to be found this morning when i woke up.

last week i got a phone call that they are scheduling my next appointment for another month from now to hopefully get the perm crown on. At this point, I think I'm going to go and talk to them after i see my perio-surgeon.

7. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Geeeeeez....

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

DONE ;)

9. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I could get more prints started. I could work on a myriad of projects. I could paint.

And yet, where in the past I would stay up til 2am no problem, I'm exhausted now.

What the fuck, 30 years of age? You're not scheduled till November

10. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Oh yeah... I turned 45 this year. I suppose I better figure out what I'm going to do for my mid-life crisis. I don't have a lot of dough, so I actually have to BUDGET for that. :D

11. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

go with the inexpensive option, bunker in your home and paint minis, assuming the apocalypse is coming.

12. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

I can only assume this is like a bowl of free sweets where some bastards just pick out all the good ones really quickly :p

Making DIY terrain with foam, MDF and $2 shop hobby supplies is so great. A barrow and a couple of stone walls!

20220905_141223.jpg

13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

They look good!

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  14. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Nice work, foam and mdf are amazing materials to create a variety of scenery piece from.

Grrr, Imrahil

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  15. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

I encourage anyone who hasn't done it to give it a try! Cutting thin MDF, with an electric jigsaw or even just a fine hand saw, then sanding the edges smooth is simple-as. Cutting and shaping the foam is a bit more difficult, as it is hard to cut neatly and often looks ragged and unsatisfying. But that's fine for natural features like rocks or old weathered stonework. Then you just "seal" it with PVC glue so you can then paint it.

The start and halfway steps of DIY terrain can often be very unsatisfying, as you look at something and think "ugh it just looks like cut up junk/cheap cast plastic toys/whatever" but once you texture and paint it it can look amazing!

The walls and cairn were probably an hours work all up. Might have to try making a bit of a henge next time to go with my new beastmen!

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  16. Killer Angel
    Slann

it pretty much works this way:

the club of our gaming group: in the rooms where we play/build & paint models, we have a big box of sprues. When we build something, we put there the remnnants and it's free reign for everyone to pick bits for conversions and so on.

our gaming shop: there are 3-4 bowls with many unused bits... many of them are the remnants of boxes of sceneries built by the owners for gaming use; some come from commissions ("i pick this box of necron immortals, please build and paint them with tesla carbines"); if you're lucky, you can find the pieces of whole models that were left unsold after the selling of individual units from battle boxes.
    many of those bits (even some good ones) can stay in the bowls for months.
    I even found the pieces to build an almost complete Drop Pod, missing only the internal parts.

Tk'ya'pyk and Lizards of Renown like this.
  17. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Nice system.

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  18. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I finished painting an Easterling Kataphract and worked somewhat on Faramir, Ranger of Ithilien.

Grrr, Imrahil

19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Nothing :(

Too busy with IRL stuff.

20. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I finally finished my Crimson Court for Underworlds a couple nights ago. Pictures will be posted later, when I actually take some. I also spent a couple days this weekend running Hollows Last Hope under Pathfinder for Savage Worlds and now need to prep for running Rise of the Runelords for my group.

Lizards of Renown and Tk'ya'pyk like this.