1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Aginor's Painting Blog

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Aginor, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Finished not one, but two terrain pieces today and progressed a bit on my Guards as well. Pics soon.

Lizerd, Chicken Lips, Ritual and 3 others like this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

I made the pictures in my gaming table since one of those pieces is just too big to fit on my painting table well.

So here is the first one.
    I got wood! ;)

Ok joke aside that's my first painted Citadel wood.
    Pretty standard from a painting point of view, and opposed to many players I went for the summer look with leaves. Many people leave those out and so can totally understand that since those can be a pain if you want to move models through the woods. Well, I have to live with that since they just look so much better with leaves.

The flock on the ground with the brown and orange bits in it is wood floor flock for model train terrain.

I wonder if I should add some grass or moss flock... I haven't decided on that yet.

Pretty happy how it turned out but I used a LOT of paint there.

20171003_204012.jpg 20171003_204030.jpg 20171003_204106.jpg 20171003_204431.jpg 20171003_204502.jpg

3. Slannta's Little Helper
    Kroxigor

Slannta's Little Helper Well-Known Member

Looking really good :) my vote if for adding some tufts of grass or shrubs near the circular bits of the base of the trees so they blend in more but id experiment laying them ontop before you commit to anything :)

Ritual, Warden and Aginor like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking as well.
    I have to be careful with them though since the trees are disassembled for transport so I have to keep the grass a bit away from them to be able to fit them on again.

Lizerd, Ritual and Mesandres like this.
  5. Slannta's Little Helper
    Kroxigor

Slannta's Little Helper Well-Known Member

Yeah I can see how that would be problematic - could experiment with having the bushes or brushes stuck to the trees and then they sit/rest on the base when the trees are there that way they'd be removable too :)

Ritual, Warden and Aginor like this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

And here's my other terrain piece that I built, an old Cemetery.

I used tomb stones from Greenstuffworld.com but I made some changes to fit them into the Warhammer world, which basically means I cut some parts of those off that looked like crosses. Some of them I inverted and carved the ends into points to look like swords, and for one of them I just cut one part off to make it look like a hammer.
    In the middle there is a crypt for some lord or king (which is why it looks like a small castle with those battlements). The crypt is not glued on so I can remove it in case I want to place a big model there. But I also made sure it is flat enough so yoy can olace models on top.
    It was built out of plastic sheet with Styrodur bricks glued on one by one. I am glad I have a Styrofoam cutter otherwise making those bricks would have taken ages.

The main entrance has a wooden gate that I built from scratch out of coffee stirring sticks.
    The walls were made out of Styrodur and painted the way I learned with my standalone walls (posted in this thread somewhere).
    Most of the terrain was then covered with sand and painted with regular house paint.
    The brighter sand for the paths was just carefully washed to give it some depth but keep it brighter than the earth around it.

I was quite liberal with the moss and the grass there to make it look old and forgotten.

There are parts of the walls missing in two places, and some of the graves were damaged or their stones sunk in.

I might add some additional decorations in the future (I have two crows for example) but for now it is finished, and I know I have yo be careful with decorations since those might be damaged when playing.
    ...I am actually quite sure that I will damage at least one or two of the tombstones during the very first game I play with that terrain piece. We'll see I guess.

I considered using snow on the cemetery like I did for my Undead army, but decided against it to make it fit my other terrain pieces better.

20171003_204746.jpg 20171003_204830.jpg 20171003_204936.jpg 20171003_204947.jpg

And yes, those are cat feet on one of the pictures.... :D

Detail shots in the next post.

7. Aginor
    Slann

Some details:
    20171003_205028.jpg 20171003_205040.jpg 20171003_205049.jpg 20171003_205057.jpg 20171003_205111.jpg 20171003_205213.jpg 20171003_205229.jpg 20171003_205348.jpg

8. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Man.. your progress puts us all to shame, well done, honestly ! You are having so many things done and with such good results !

9. Aginor
    Slann

Thank you!
    I do my very best. Well, most of the time anyway. :D

Ritual, Mesandres and Warden like this.
  10. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I do like your trees, but I like that cemetery even more! :artist: It looks fantastic. It doesn't have the "urban" and cramped look of the GW one, though that one is pretty nice. You have been able to fill it with tons of detail! It is an amazing piece!

Ritual and Aginor like this.
  11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Wow that look so good, I'm really impressed by your life like Dread Saurian in Pic 3 :D

12. Aginor
    Slann

Thanks! Yeah I like the crypts on the GW, it is really nice. The problem with mine is that for small games you can hardly use it since it is that huge. I think it is 40x40cm or even larger. So if you play on the small standard table it fills half of it.

Dread Cat! :D
    I am actually surprised she didn't come closer or sat on top if it. :D

Mesandres and Ritual like this.
  13. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

Congratulation, @Aginor :
    this blog is full of awesomeness, and your works are amazing!

14. Aginor
    Slann

Thank you very much!
    My motivation is really fueled by all the nice comments in this thread. :)

15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

It's the main reason I keep posting pics

Aginor and Ritual like this.
  16. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I'm so far behind catching up on these threads I really should get to work on that. I have a new phone now so hopefully I'll be able to check the forums more when I am at home...

Anyway, that graveyard looks fantastic. I love the little touches, looks really natural.

Crowsfoot and Aginor like this.
  17. Aginor
    Slann

My Guards are nearing completion. I shaded the bodies and the shields, so now they are missing only a few touches of paint here and there. The only big chunk missing is the weapons and I did some work on those last night as well, including trying something new that might look cool. Still no pics. Soon though.

18. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I don't usually admire another man's wood, but yours it impressive! Lol, joking aside, you did a great job! Love your graveyard too!

Freddy25 and Aginor like this.
  19. Aginor
    Slann

Oh btw last Saturday was my hobby anniversary! Oct 14th 2016 was my first model. I still feel like I am new to the hobby (and compared to some of y'all I definitely am!) But the time sure went by quickly building painting and playing my models.

Anyway, just wanted to mention it. Now back to painting those Guards. Still busy with all those details...

20. Aginor
    Slann

Here are some pics from my first test of Oyumaru.
    Pretty much the same as in the blue stuff video that was linked in this thread:

http://lustria-online.com/threads/casting-parts-using-blue-stuff.20385/

I took two bits (one with bigger structures, one with smaller ones) and just pressed them into the warm mass and watched what happened.

20171018_183500.jpg 20171018_184303.jpg 20171018_184307.jpg 20171018_184721.jpg 20171018_185357.jpg 20171018_190308.jpg

Due to the fact that the material is kinda transparent you can see bubbles more easily.
    It is really not sticky at all. That surprised me.

Lizerd, Mesandres, Warden and 3 others like this.