1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Don't have enough monsters? Or just want to show off your painting skills. Why not try entering the Monster Mash! - Click here for more info.
    Dismiss Notice

Rank the Star Wars Movies from best to worst!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Carnasaur

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Well-Known Member

Either that or we both like the Last Jedi a lot! :joyful:

Aginor likes this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Skink Priest

Killer Angel Well-Known Member

1. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    3. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    4. Episode IV: A New Hope
    5. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    6. Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens
    8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
    9. Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    The reasoning behind (IMO):

Empire Strikes Back: this one got everything. Solid story, great battles, Yoda ad his finest, characters growth, immense Darth Vader.

A Star Wars Story: again, solid story (that fills the holes in Ep I), no boring romance, heroic sacrifices, cool (even if not original) characters, great ending. THis is how you can actually do a great SW movie that looks at visual greatness without losing the eye on the story.

Return of the Jedi: this could have easily taken the 2nd place. It's brilliant, epic, cool... it has more upsides than aSWstory, but also some heavier downsides (Ewoks).

A New Hope: the one that started it all. It shows its age and it's not at the same level of the first three, not by far, but I cannot negate its charm.

Revenge of the Sith: the movie would be good, as there are many things I like, and the "secondary" characters are excellent (Yoda and Palpatine above all). However, the main core of the movie is the descent into darkness of Anakin, and that's bland, at best. A so missed opportunity.

The Phantom Menace: Some things are cringeworthy (midichlorians), some other are kinda meh (JarJar is embarassing, but gungans as a race are not bad), some things were good (every part with Darth Maul except for his stupid plot death).

The force awakens: little premise: it was hard to decide if i had to rank this one lower or higher than the prequels. It captures the mood of the original trilogy (which is good) and it got some decent action. However, it got also huge plot holes and, most of all, it suffers from an unforgivable main weakness: most of the Good Guys are uninteresting or annoying (Poe Dameron), and most of all we have a total lack of Bad Guys with personality or charismatic presence. Snoke seems an oldman of the muppets show, Kylo is a whiny emo, captain Phasma is... nothing.

The Last Jedi: some few good things cannot salvage a movie with an already slow pace. Luke's character apparently losed all the force of will gained and showed in ep VI; Kylo shows finally a character growth but he's still a guy with self esteem issues; the plot holes become chasms. Some nice combat scene and Luke's final trick don't suffice. At least Porg weren't awful.

Attack of the clones: one of the worst, slow and stupid romance interlude I've ever seen. And it fills a large part of the whole movie. It irked me to the point that I barely remember what also happened. I just recall the factory scene (was it aimed to support a platform SW videogame?) and the final battle... from a movie, even a SW Flick, i would like a bare minimum story, not just some fancy CGI.

NIGHTBRINGER and Aginor like this.
  3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Carnasaur

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Well-Known Member

It's easy to disrespect any film if there's something you specifically don't like in it. Why don't we talk about how badass Darth Maul is or how good Obi Wan's character development was? Surely we should celebrate all that is good about Star Wars and keep the bad stuff hidden in the dark where it belongs? For example, some of Han's lines were quite funny in the Originals and Episode 7 ("That's not how the Force works!"), and of course the Battle of Yavin is a classic sequence. Can anyone apart from Porkins hold it?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Hidden?

Anakin, if one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic, narrow view of the Jedi.

;)