1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Rumored 8th edition changes

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by lazylizard, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

the biggest loss with the rumoured rules i see that we will have to forget Eotg and tetto'Eko... becuse eotg costs too much and becouse irrisistable force will have a down side... i realy loved tetto'eko but now...
    IMHO rumours for magic phaze are idiotic....
    for eg. you can choose your spells (thats logical becouse in magic fight you wont take a mage with knows only suportive spells) but you cant cast the same spell in the same turn more than once. WTF? caster can spell ~3 diferent spells but cant cast the same more than once? and now they make it that the same spell can be cast ONLY once overall in the same magic phaze.. 3 casters knows the same spell but only one can cast it? stupid? yes... this will give major advantages for armys that consists of cheap mages witch can take more than one lore. that is you choose fire, then take death, then metal and woula you have three destructive spells. what about us? oh yeah we can use only lore of heavens, cool...

2. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

The idea is for less characters, so at most we will likely have 2 priests with heavens. And you can choose spells so they don't overlap. Then you add a Slann who can pick any lore picking his spells. And with a shared pool that each caster DOES NOT ADD TO directly having multiple casters limits each caster to their choices. The only downside here is if you want your Slann to take Heavens. Also with multiple weak mages if you don't make the casting cost of a spell it is now supposedly a miscast, so you can't stretch your PD too thin.

I never used tetto'eko because I don't use named characters in any of my games. They are for fluff so core rules will NOT be designed around keeping a named character viable.

Everyone seems to be picking out one portion of a rumor and panicking without looking at the big picture. If you look at any one magic rumor yes they can look stupid, when combined they really do make sense.. Casting same spell only once overall prevents multiple weak mages spamming 1 powerful spell multiple times. Also look at how this will affect other armies too, no more warp lightning spam from skaven for instance.

3. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

If you look at all the rumours, Lizzie's will be at disadvantage against much armies.
    So I hope most aren't true only the good ones. Really hope that that "no two wizards can have the same spell"-rule is wrong, cuz then I can't fire a rain of comets at those gunlines, only one :(

4. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

I am not sure what rumors you are looking at as I do not see any that truly nerf the lizardmen (more than any other army).

Wizards can have the same spells, just can't cast it in the same turn. The whole purpose there is to remove spamming of 1 powerful spell, like you want to do. Rmoving spell spamming is a GOOD thing.

And each lore is being rewritten to give levels of spells and possible super spells. So no maybe you cant do multiple comets, but what if you could do 1 super comet? Wouldn't that make up for it.

5. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Maybe I'm just being an optimist, but I think Lizardmen will be able to rain fiery doom upon other armies in the magic phase.

Each lore will get a super spell. Who knows what this means, but the old Slann can throw down lots of dice to get the big spell to go off, and he won't have to worry about miscasting quite so much because of rumor 2...

Miscasts less common, but much much worse. So does this mean rolling triple 1's? In any case, we have cupped hands, and so the enemy will be really scared of us miscasting. And it is pretty unlikely to miscast twice in the same game.

Not rolling for spells just saves us 50 points on Focus of Mystery, but admittedly we are losing a bit of an advantage. I think it's a good change overall though, and should help our skink priests be more useful. If we start running around with giant hordes of skinks or saurus warriors, imagine how good Portent of Far becomes? Assuming it still exists...

6. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Not to mention the fact that you are essentially guaranteed to have more PD then your opponent (if rumor of casters not adding to pool with level, but only adding level to casting roll), adding on rumination for +1 dice a spell and yup Slann will be able to own the magic phase :) And don't forget each spell might also get levels. So think about channeling a lvl 3 fireball through a flying skink priest :)

7. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Heheh, my 25% points of characters are going towards those two characters... for just that reason! For extra hitting power, we have up to 50% points to spend on kroxigors who can fight in two ranks.

8. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

I asked this earlier but no one responded, will items be counted in that 25%??? If not than you can get those 2 plus a Scarvet. Because Ya those 2 are going in my lists.

9. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Just putting it out here, but is it just me who get the feeling that Fantasy is taking a turn in the direction of 40k? That'd make it pretty redundant to have an army in both of the system for the variety it offers...

Cheers!

10. Caeldan
    Saurus

Caeldan New Member

Based on a thread from warseer... it sounds almost like they're trying to make Fantasy into the red-headed lovechild of 40k and WotR

11. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Well the first rumor to attempt to stop spamming has shown up

Doesn't hurt us too bad, but I guess that means my 4 individual salamanders will go back to 2 groups of 2. Was hoping I could have them as singles, but not really upset as attempting to prevent spamming is a good thing.

12. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

"I asked this earlier but no one responded, will items be counted in that 25%??? If not than you can get those 2 plus a Scarvet. Because Ya those 2 are going in my lists."

I'm going to have to say, items definitely count toward the character totals. Doing it otherwise doesn't really stop hero-hammer, nor does it make much sense.

13. Caeldan
    Saurus

Caeldan New Member

Well I think it's a viable question as from what I understand, in the previous edition that used % based caps there was a separate limit for equipment which didn't count against the character cap.

14. dustandpolos
    Skink

dustandpolos New Member

I know that wasn't true in 4th Ed. and don't remember it changing in 5th. The major differences back then were the shared pool of items and the limit to 1, 2 or 3 items per character with no overall points limit. So a 100 pt sword (and I believe they wen up to 150pts) could be combined with a 4+ rebound ward save and the Crown of Command or similar useful item. But it all counted towards your character points.

Same system with monsters in 4th ed; common bestiary, monsters taken as mounts count towards character allowance (50%) unridden monsters count towards monster allowance (25%). 25% minimum on troops of any sort, 25% maximum on war machines.

I don't think we'll see those days again :)

15. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

actually, in 5th ed. stegadons counted as regiment choices, not your character allowance. not that anyone used characters on stegs back then of course.

somehow i doubt we'll get it that sweet in the new edition, but otherwise it is pretty much the death of all character mounts. guess mid-level monsters like griffons might actually see play though.

16. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

With the inclusion of a HE griffon in the starter box, I think that enhancing the mid-range monsters is exactly what GW is trying to do.. People either go for foot/normal mount, or if monstrous then about the most powerful possible. Certainly with elves there was no reason to take a griffon over a sundragon (the weakest of the 3 HE dragons) and I guess the same for many other midrange mounts from other armies.

One thing for sure, it certainly won't stop me taking a carnosaur. Might limit his support a little though.

17. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

I got another rumor from my local gaming store, terror and fear will be changed to combat resolution, terror giving 2 and fear 1 and there will be two combat phases so you attack followed by magic and then another phase to fight some more

18. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Well I highly doubt there will be two combat phases... There isn't even really a point to that. But yeah I have heard the thing about fear and terror too.