1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Canas' armies

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Canas, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Nice work!
    I especially like the bridge and the twin pyramids, and of course the machine-thingy.

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The twin pyramid things have a nice blue glow to them, though my Phone can't capture it properly :( It's also one of the first models were I've done edge highlighting and it looks vaguely decent (still not a straight line in sight, but at least there's no longer any massive spludges anymore where the line gets twice as thick :p)

The bridge I really like how the bases thurned out. I managed quite a decent mix to get the ground to look like the bridge actually exploded out of the ground and there's bits of bone and various coloured dirt in there instead of the usual near monochrome brown with the occasional hint of green in it. It was a giant pain to glue together though, one of the bridges refused to stay upright and had to be glued 4 or 5 times before it finally set.

Also, this particular box is relativly annoying to paint. Loads of bits like the bones in the bridge, or the machine that have loads of thin long bits, or with loads of relief like the boat so the paint won't catch nicely if you try it with broad strokes. Either everything needs to be done meticulously one by one, or you need an airbrush (which I don't have) so doing the base and earlier layers takes ages.

Lizerd and Aginor like this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Some sicarian infiltrators. They're fairly neat models. I used one of the new contrast paints for their swords and it looks fairly nice. A thin layer makes their swords nice and glowy while also retaining the metalic shine and look underneath. Whereas a thicker layer makes for a nice glassy look for their lenses and the little orb things on their backpacks.

Also one of em is a fabulous dancer. So that's a nice touch :p

WP_20190616_16_35_19_Pro.jpg WP_20190616_16_35_34_Pro.jpg

Lizerd, Warden, Aginor and 1 other person like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

His stance is very 1970s!

Canas and LizardWizard like this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Some chaos cultists for 40k with something resembling highlights!

WP_20190628_11_06_29_Pro.jpg WP_20190628_11_06_49_Pro.jpg WP_20190628_11_06_38_Pro.jpg
    Also, the first 4 tzaangor from my last batch of 20. One day I will finish my seecond battleforce box of tzeentch!

WP_20190628_11_07_04_Pro.jpg WP_20190628_11_06_57_Pro.jpg

6. Aginor
    Slann

Good job with the highlights, those green dudes really pop!

Canas and LizardWizard like this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

learning basic techniques after painting several Thousands worth of models ftw :p

Warden, LizardWizard and Aginor like this.
  8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I found some female models which I painted for my girlfriends SCE army. They're about the same size so it fits reasonabl enough.

WP_20190715_18_42_25_Pro.jpg WP_20190715_18_42_12_Pro.jpg WP_20190715_18_41_57_Pro.jpg WP_20190715_18_41_53_Pro.jpg

9. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Looking good! The fact that the storm cast are female with actual proportions is pretty nice as most of the GW models fall a bit short.

Canas likes this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It's the only ones I've found that actually look good. Only downside is that their proportions are realistic in contrast to GW's heroic? scale. So they look quite skinny in comparison to proper SCE. Though the SCE are the worst example of the heroic scale, next to more normal humans, like kairic acolytes, they look fine. I did have to put them on SCE bases to be able to use them as such though, so they now have quite large bases compared to the model which is a bit of a shame but nothing too worrisome.

Also, they're literally the only female models I've found that come anywhere close to GW's standards of models. Everything else is far less detailed or on completly different scales (e.g. I found some that'd be the size of a skink in GW's scale)

If you want them, they're from the sisters of the orphanage faction sold by raging heroes (a French company). They make purely female miniatures. And are supposed to release a game of their own at some point I think. They're definitly a bit on the sexual side (even ignoring their slaanesh-y stuff). But most of their models dont' seem to push it too far (and in the case of the slaanesh-y stuff it makes sense I suppose).

Lizerd likes this.
  11. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Trust me, I like their look but the last storm cast I got became carnosaur food. As for the sexual stuff; yeah I see what your saying. The style of the armor and some of their poses are pretty, unusual, but atleast it hasn’t gone to far. So what stuff do you have planned next?

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I wanted to paint a bigger model from them, this was mostly a test-run to see if they'd work. But my girlfriend has ended up liking them so much that now she wants to paint em herself. Which is kind of a shame, wanted to make a big fancy one vaguely resembling her so she could lead her armies "in person" so to say.

Other than that, there's the last few tzaangor from my 2nd battleforce box that are currently drying alongside a salamander, which is the first model I painted with contrast paints and it turned out rather well. And I've started putting together Belisarius Cawl, but I want to try out the contrast paints some more on him so I'l have to go and buy various shades first (so far I only got 1 bottle to try and see how it worked).

And beyond that, I've oddly enough run out of models for the first time in 2 years or so, so I guess it's time for a shopping spree :p

Lizerd likes this.
  13. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Mind if I suggest something to buy in bulk? :D
    It will keep you busy for quite some time

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I made that mistake with the tzeentch battleforces last year, accidently got 2 boxes due to a mix-up. The free stuff an huge amount of models is nice. But after the 20th blue ornatly armoured bird person you're kinda sick of it and you're not even halfway through one box :p

Ah well, soon I'l get some stuff for my birthday so I'l probably have a bit more to paint. But till then Cawl seems to be what I'm stuck with. Especially since I also need to buy some stuff I actually need, like a new Phone that actually works...

Lizerd and Crowsfoot like this.
  15. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

I was not expecting tzeentch but that is fine. I was going to say you should get a bunch of carnosaurs! Everyone knows carnosaurs fix all your problems, and they look good doing it

16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

mm, I only got 1 carnosaur so far, I should get some more of those as well. But I also want to properly expand my adeptus mechanicus & get some Knights. Build up my chaos space marine force, get loads of seraphon in general (damn summoning means I need waaaaaaaaay too much stuff) tzeentch daemons (those two battleforces did mean I got most of the mortal troops I'l ever need) some slaves of darkness, specificly a lord on manticore seems fun as a leader for my tzeentch army. A proper skaven army. And I think that's probably enough for now :p

Lizerd likes this.
  17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The remaining few tzaangor and a salamander. I'm quite pleased with how the salamander turned out.

WP_20190716_19_19_46_Pro.jpg WP_20190716_19_20_11_Pro.jpg WP_20190716_19_19_36_Pro.jpg WP_20190716_19_19_59_Pro.jpg WP_20190716_19_20_05_Pro.jpg

18. Aginor
    Slann

19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

yup, the map on top of it is even accurate. My girlfriend made it for my birthday.

20. Aginor
    Slann

That's awesome!

It completely blew my mind when I realized what it is.