1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The army of Tsunami (TG painting guide/blog 9/11)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Lord Tsunami, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Re: The army of Tsunami (WIP beefy saurus 18/9-2011)

What were the color mixes did you use for the dual purple effect on the terradons and other dinos?

2. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Re: The army of Tsunami (WIP beefy saurus 18/9-2011)

dual purple?

The dinosaurs are painted with black mixed with goblin green and bleached bone for the black/grey parts It is also washed with badab black. the red/pink parts are made with mechrite red mixed with dwarf flesh and bleached bone. Also there is a wash of baal red mixed with some badab black.

3. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Re: The army of Tsunami (WIP mounted scar veteran 15/10)

Here is an update!

I was planning to enter in this months painting competition, but i started late, and i had a whole bunch of stuff at work that kept me busy, so i didnt finish in time. ill share some WIP pics with you guys instead :)

Here we have sort of the parts i used. It is a normal cold one rider, with a head from a normal saurus warrior (crest cut off as usual). The left hand is a normal saurus hand and the right is from the cold one cav sprue. the weapon is made from a saurus standard with a pommel-feather from the cold one sprue. all pinned for security :) the cold one body is the godzilla version, but with the current cold one champion head. best part in that sprue tbh...
    111005-1.jpg

The rider was converted extensively with green stuff. I basically gave him a layer of padding to give him much needed bulk, especially around the thigh and shoulder areas. Also the tail was thickened and extended quite a bit. Then came the pain in the @$$... the scales. Each one is made from a tiny ball of GS, glued in place and then shaped to a scale, including scratching them a bit for that rough surface we all know saurus scales gets after a few centuries of battles. I also gave him some extra bicep-girth for that rambo-esque feel. I also added a bunch of heads from the zombie sprue to the left hand since it looked so empty. I was planning on modelling reins for the cold one and making him hold them, but this was much easier. hush hush, dont tell any one :D
    1110082-vert.jpg

Here you can see a little bit of the colors it will have in the end. The body will be grey/green like my other sauri. the armour will be gold (i prime it with darksun). the cold one will be painted like my other beats in grey/pink with yellowish horns.
    1110101.jpg

I have gotten a lot further than this in the painting, and i could probably put it on the gaming table as is, but i plan on spending some extra time on this one. However, my camera seems to be dead atm, so ill get back with more pics as soon as i get that sorted out.

cya
    /T

4. NewToFantasy
    Skink

NewToFantasy New Member

looks good can't wait to see it finished I might have to steal that idea from you ;)

5. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

bad news... seems the battery in my camera is busted. the model is close to finished, but i cant take any pics atm. i have ordered a new battery, but it will be a few days i guess. the model should be all done by then. i am happy with how it it turning out :)

6. NewToFantasy
    Skink

NewToFantasy New Member

that stinks. Can't wait for the finished pics though

7. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

This guy is going to rock when you have him painted - looking forward to seeing the results!

8. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

haha, this is sooo frustrating! he is almost done now, but the camera aint working, and tomorrow i wont have time to finish him either. hang in there guys, he will be awesome i swear :smug:

9. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

ok, i have the battery now, and the camera works. I wont have time to finish the model today, but here are a few better WIP pics

1110111-vert.jpg

Bracnos likes this.
  10. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

alright, so i just got home from practice and im almost dead. no time for painting today. i did try a new setting on the camera for extreme close ups though, and i am very pleased. here are teh two details i am most proud of on the model.

1110188.jpg
    check the white dot in the eye. thats the coolest thing i have ever done i think :D

1110189.jpg
    I really like how the contrast between the gold and green turned out, and the gemstone isnt half bad either :)

ok, so i am off to bed now. tomorrow i will probably manage to finish it!

ps. i guess you can all see how excited i am by the fact that this is the third post in a row lol. i wish i would have been done in time for the painting challenge. well well. NN folks

Attached Files:

Bracnos likes this.
  11. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Now that model is looking good from what I can see. I'm looking forward to see the rest of the model done!

12. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Looking good, nice work so far!

13. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Re: The army of Tsunami (FINISHED scar vet! 20/10)

Its done! :smug:

11102010.jpg
    1110209-horz.jpg
    1110201-horz.jpg
    1110203-horz.jpg
    1110205-horz.jpg
    1110207-horz.jpg

Bracnos likes this.
  14. NewToFantasy
    Skink

NewToFantasy New Member

it looks great. keep up the good work. I'll defenitly steal the idea.

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I think this might be you best model yet. :D

16. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Sick looking scar-vet! Well done!

17. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

i think so too. it was years and years since i last spent this much time on a model, and my skills have grown considerably since. i am ver happy and proud of how it turned out :)

18. ZeeDeveel
    Skink

ZeeDeveel New Member

That looks awesome mate. Could you explain how you painted the gold and the ivory spikes on his back please?

19. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

with pleasure!

GOLD:
    i basecoated with iaden darksun over the black spray. i do this so that i do not have to apply a million coats of gold. then i used a vallejo glorious gold. only one coat was needed. Then i applied a thick wash of devlan mud, and an edge highlight of a mix of mithril silver and glorious gold. it is very basic, and it really is the wash that does the work.

HORNE SPIKES:
    This one was a bit more troublesome. I started with scorched brown and mixed it up to khemri brown, applying it in stripes. then i started mixing in bleached bone with khemri brown all the way up to pure bleached bone with some white mixed in. It is very time consuming, and i am not 100% satisfies. my brush didnt have a good enough tip to do it full justice. But basically there is no shortcut here. just many layers of highlights painstakingly painted on by hand.

i guess i can take some more colors for any one who is interested.

GREEN SKIN:
    Basecoated with a mix of knarlok green /black /bone. i wanted a greyish brown. then i added more and more bleached bone to the mix for each highlight. after teh first 2 highlights i washed the entire area with badab black, and then continued with highlights. it is all done by hand, with no drybrushing. again, very painstaking, but you can get a similar effect by drybrushing on one or two highlights, washing with badab black, and then do a very fine edge drybrush with almost pure bone color. that is how i do my normal saurus.

GEMS:
    i am really pleased with there. i started with orkhide shade, and then highlighted with a mix of orkhide and snotgreen. i mixed in more and dmore snot green folowed by mixes with scorpion green. you highlight the bottom crescent of the round gem, leaving the upper part almost black. then finish off with a white dot on the darkest part. this isnt my own invention ofc, but you can see it in any gem painting tutorial.

BLACK SKIN:
    Started with pure black and mixed in more and more rotting flesh for a slight green tinted highlight. there is also a wash of badab black after a few layers of highlights. i painted the highlights by hand here, but you can get a very similar effect by drybrushing on highlights in two stages (quite wide apart) and then wash with badab in the end. i did that on my stegadon.

PINK SKIN:
    started with mechrite red and added more and more bleached bone for highlight stages. before the last two layers i washed with a mix of badab black and baal red. again you could drybrush if you wanted. just remember that this will look pink and not red. if you want red, you will have to use another technique.

FEATHERS:
    I chose bright green, blue, purple and turquoise for the feather. all to contrast well with both the green, gold and pink of the rest of the models. the saurus itself is very dull, and the feathers liven the model up quite a bit.

CLAWS (cold one):
    Started with iaden darksun. washed with devlan mud and then highlighted with mixes of darksun and bleached bone. i wanted a yellowish tone to these claws to contrast with the more marble white of the saurus horns.

Bracnos likes this.
  20. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Great work man! Not a huge fan of the pinks, but it's your army so paint it however you like :) The spikes are my favorite part. Great that you have so many different Cold One poses to chose from too. Keep it up (I miss the old avatar though).