1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The never-ending battle against woke Hollywood and SJW infused entertainment media [trigger warning]

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

That is going to be a hard task.
    Captain Marvel has a very solid leadership.

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

It's almost a miracle any media turns out watchable.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

5. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

so true.
    I wonder how i could identify with Mulan, or Clarice Starling, or any Denzel Washington character.
    People should really stop to promote inclusiveness by adding BS excuses as "why shouldn't asian people have someone of their ethnicity to identify with? you racist".

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

well, Will Smith is certainly a champion of the privileged Hollywood and "it's fair to make jokes on everything except on things that annoy me".

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Let's be honest though, that's the greatest amount of interest that the Oscars have been able to drum up in YEARS!

9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yes. The Critical Drinker has said a similar thing. :D

10. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Here is a funny meme in somewhat poor taste.

This video is in better taste.

-I didn't realize Will Smith was mad at Chris Rock for mocking Jada Pinkett years before.

-Chris Rock's joke may have been in poor taste, but comedians always risk their jokes being in poor taste. It's bad if it sets a precedent for comedians being decked by their audience or if it becomes socially acceptable to use violence to censor speech. It might cause comedians to become more cautious and self-censor.

Even though Chris Rock's joke is in poor taste, I tend to be a free speech absolutist.

-Even if this incident causes an uptick in the next Oscars, this will not make Hollywood/Disney happy. Because no one is talking about the winners, so this stunt hasn't made the Oscars more relevant, it made them less relevant.

-In a general sense, this shows that the Hollywood elite has no right to preach to us. Note Chris Rock and Will Smith were not especially preachy but it bothers me that people comforted Will and not Chris. To me at least, Will is the bad guy here. Or maybe Jada. Whether it's as overt as the meme above or not, she emotionally manipulated it and it ended up making him look like a fool and a weakling, something she already did to him with her public affairs, podcasts, and interviews.

I guess Jada is suffering from a real illness and it's not cool to mock the sick, but Jada is a domestic abuser, less overt than Amber Heard but I have no sympathy for abusers.

-Vladimir Putin is probably laughing his ass off right now. This would be a good time to commit some war crimes while no one is looking.

11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I certainly agree that Jada certainly had an effect on it, I shall quote a post I made in the Star Wars thread as discussion on this palaver originated there:
    Either he allowed his protectiveness to go too far, or she's using emotional blackmail to make him humiliate himself in front of a live audience. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter if Jada is part of the modern female supremacist movement that wants to de-masculinise men.

I personally think both of them are at fault in part - as per the rest of my quote:
    Chris can improve by developing skits that are funny without openly insulting people, and Will can improve by showing other guys that you're not having any nonsense with them in ways other than falling for their taunts and using violence at the slightest trigger, because all that does is show you're easily provoked and aggressive, which is just as non-masculine as being passive and taking shit without doing anything to defend yourself.

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

ohhh! Can i quote myself too? :)

Yes Chris was the first one to step out of line. black humor is a thing, bad taste humor is a whole different thing, and a mistake from a comedian's part.

That said, bad taste jokes are a recurrency in humor. It's not that uncommon to have a comedian missing the point and embarass himself.
    But recurring to violence (especially when you were not going to, but your wife forces you to act) is unexcusable.
    They both were wrong, in a similar way Cuexcomate and Krakatoa are both volcanoes.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

What bothers me the most is the impunity with which Will Smith was able to turn his back to someone who he just slapped. As if he had absolutely no fear of reprisal. Chris Rock could have drop-kicked him off the stage or taken the back and sunk in a quick rear-naked choke to put him to sleep. Personally, I like the drop kick better because it is quicker (giving security no time to intervene) and it is more flashy for the cameras (as Will would go flying off the stage). Just a short run up and put both of your feet dead-center into his back.

14. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

real life is not a WWE match. while he would have been perfectly in his rights to smack will in the back of the head it would still be petty. on top of that the internet already hates him so it's probably for the best he didn't

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's why I'm not including the steel chair.

He was assaulted, plain and simple. Putting Will down would have been a lesson learned. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The portion of the internet (roughly half) that hates him, already hates him so who cares? But the other half of the internet that is on his side, would love the spectacle.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Query for the crowd:

Hypothetically, if it had been Dwayne Johnson who had delivered that joke instead of Chris Rock, does anyone still think that Will Smith would have attempted the smack?

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

The thing is though, in a situation like this where Mr. Rock wasn't in any danger, you can easily put someone down without retaliating with violence, otherwise you're just sinking to their petty level. Mr. Smith had already humiliated himself in front of loads of people, Mr. Rock wisely stayed out of it and responded with a quip, already showing he wasn't going to resort to fighting fire with fire. If he hadn't it would have just descended into two grown men behaving like angry schoolchildren rolling around on the stage trying to fight each other, and they'd both make even bigger prats of themselves. I'm with @Erta Wanderer on this one.

To be honest if he did it purely for that he'd be sinking to the level of a performing monkey, doing anything possible to try and please the masses. A strong man doesn't allow himself to make a scene just to please celeb-following losers on the Internet.

That would depend on a lot of things:
    • How brave/stupid Will Smith is
    • How much he is enslaved/in love with his wife
    • Whether Dwayne Johnson has dissed him or his wife before
    • Whether Dwayne Johnson would be unpleasant enough to make a joke demeaning someone suffering from a disease (which is unlikely given what I've heard of him)

Scalenex likes this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

No he wouldn't, it isn't his style. That's why I prefaced the question with "hypothetically".

Spoiler... he would have done nothing. Absolutely nothing. He would have sat there quietly in his little chair.

True.

"If I were you, I'd be a little less worried about people putting your wife's name in their mouth and a little more worried about people putting their co%$ in hers"

[background, Will and his wife have an "open marriage", but from past interviews, it seems like something pushed by her and he appears less than happy with the arrangement]

Something along those lines. It's crude, petty and a low blow... but undeniably and viciously savage. The problem is, based on their previous interaction, it would most assuredly escalate into a physical altercation at that point. So you're back to square one, but without the advantage of taking the opponent's back. Doubtful that Chris Rock could take Smith in a straight up fair fight... although he did take that shot quite well.

Ultimately it was a distasteful situation. After which, Smith still got his award and the auditorium loudly cheered for him and celebrated him.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

One more interesting thought. Think of the double standard at play here. If a comedian (man or woman) made a joke about a balding man, no one would even bat an eyelash. No one would be offended and no violence would have been instigated.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022