1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW THE OLD WORLD - Poll: Will TOW be a faithful successor to WFB 8th edition?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Nov 22, 2019.

?

How confident are you that TOW will be a faithful successor to WFB 8th edition?

1. 0 - No chance. We're getting something completely different.

2. 1

3. 2 - Very unlikely

4. 3

5. 4

6. 5 - 50/50. It could either way

7. 6

8. 7

9. 8 - Probably

10. 9

11. 10 - 100% sure. The game will be a natural edition update of 8th.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a flat debuff when a beast is below half strength or something.

I never played in an edition with "unit strength" I believe it was supposed to be a value for how intimidating/coherent a unit was?

I always thought a system for general unit competence would work well and be a good representation of competency/morale. ie peasants shouldn't just be charging a fire breathing dragon or unit of elite infantry automatically, for infantry you could have a scale of levy -> standard -> elite. Then again I suppose they use leadership across the board to try to represent this.

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Imrahil and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

i fear we shall raise the Jolly Roger.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

For once we agree. I didn't even bother to read it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  5. Morglum
    Chameleon Skink

Morglum Well-Known Member

So its going to be human vs human factions? I'm not to found of that tbh.

Beastmen, khemri and vc also confirmed

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Not always (very fortunately) because:
    Also Bretonnia, Greenskins and the Elf factions have been confirmed. To be honest I doubt GW would want to remove any of the factions from the previous Fantasy editions given they want to make it a new Edition of Fantasy essentially. It would piss a lot of people off if they missed any of the main factions out.

The one real difference so far is that instead of the standard Empire list, we'll likely have three or four different ones with slight variations in the units - Westerland with probably better-armoured troops and Mercenaries because it's rich, Osterland with a Cult of Ulric theme to it (I'm seeing Fantasy Space Wolves now, Phil Kelly will go nuts if he gets the chance to write the army list for them), Reikland probably being the 'standard' Empire army and Talebecland including some foreign-themed units and other races like Dwarfs, Halflings and Ogres in its army. So in that way it does have more of a Horus Heresy feel with different Empire armies being akin to the different Legions, but at least here all the other, cooler races will be included too.

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  7. Morglum
    Chameleon Skink

Yea i should have been clearer, i'm not to found that they are splitting the empire in more factions/armies.

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I agree it is unnecessary, and reeks of trying to maximise the amount of Imperial content there is in the game :meh:

Hmm, I wonder where we've seen that before?

9. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

I agree with both of these, but it is thematic of the Empire. Karl Franz was lucky to not have to deal with this kind of thing, but there are a lot of Empire players out there who kept their armies, and I can easily see people wanting more thematic-centered forces instead of one big, generic Empire army. I suspect there won't be much of a difference between them, but there should be some unit-limitation in a few of them? Personally, I would be happy to see the Cult of Ulric come back. Teutogen Guard were an awesome-looking unit on the tabletop during the Storm of Chaos.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

If a single Empire army book allows players to differentiate their armies, with corresponding bonuses and restrictions, then I'm all for it. Choice and options are a good thing. What I'd hate to see though is multiple Empire offshoot army books, with each of these Empire-esque armies being treated as a completely distinct faction. I don't want the TOW equivalent of the 8,000 different Space Marine factions we see in 40k.

11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Sounds like we're in agreement again... Sorcery!

GW making several Empire factions, each with their own book, is what I'm afraid of, as they have already done with 40K Space Marines (and now Chaos Marines as well), and that's what I meant when I voiced my concerns of GW maximising Imperial content.

However, the obvious solution is, as you've already mentioned, to have one Empire book but include faction bonuses, as they already have done in AoS and the Xenos books in 40K - one of the better things about those games. However something they can do that would be unique to TOW would be to allow faction choices to unlock exclusive units as well as rule bonuses - Osterland being able to access Cult of Ulric units like Teutogen Guard, Talebecland being able to take Imperial Ogres and Dwarfs, and Reikland having access to Sisters of Sigmar and other Sigmar-specific units. Also being able to customise your own subfaction as you can do in 9th 40K would really encourage players to make their own lore surrounding their armies.

Better yet, this can be applied to all the factions out there - Dwarfs could have subfaction rules for Karak Kadrin, Karaz-a-Karak, Barak Varr and Kraka Drak for instance. Tomb Kings would get subfaction rules for Servants of Nagash, Khemri e.t.c, and Lizardmen could have subfactions for the Cult of Sotek and the Southlands.

It would be a great way to evoke a bit of Warhammer: Total War and bring back all those 6th Edition niche lists that represented subcultures within the major factions.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  12. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

....okay, yeah, that would suck. 100% agree with this.

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

It just occurred to me that WHFB was firstly released in 1983.
    This year is the 40th anniversary... i can imagine GW would like to publish TOW in 2023.

Obviously this is just wild speculation.

14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

That's what I was hoping, but GW are notorious for missing opportunities, and it seems they are full steam ahead for pointless 10th Edition 40K which will likely be the 'main event' of this year :mad:

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Well, of course.
    Given that atm 9th ed. has reached a sort of internal balance, with no armies particularly OP, that's the perfect moment to begin a new cycle of rules changes, power creep and complains...

16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Because
    [​IMG]

Tk'ya'pyk and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Exactly!
    GW should enter in some rule of acquisition.
    "If you're in doubt, ask yourself what WG would do"

18. Morglum
    Chameleon Skink

I wouldn't get my hopes up the old world will be released this year. Just a feeling ...

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  19. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

20. Killer Angel
    Slann

Not at all unexpected, but still good news.